: Hiding active apps from the dock

messed_kid
Jun 13th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I just installed an app called MacFreePops 2.1, which lets me receive emails using the Mail app from POP email providers.

I really don't want the icon displayed on my dock all day long while it is running, and it has to be running or else Mail won't connect to the hotmail server.

Is there a way I can hide active app icons from my dock?

Heart
Jun 13th, 2007, 11:23 PM
http://foggynoggin.com/dockdodger

Dock Dodger
Sometimes, you find an application that you really, really like, but when you run it, the icon takes up valuable space in your Dock. With Dock Dodger, you can rid almost any application of its Dock icon, giving you your Dock back.

With Dock Doger, removing the Dock icon is as easy as Drag and Drop. Simply drag in the application you want to Un-Dock and Dock Dodger takes care of the rest. When you re-launch that application, it will be sans Dock icon. Want the Dock icon back? Just re-drag the application into Dock Dodger and everything's back to normal.

I use it and I find it the absolute easiest.
You may want to back up your application and read the Caveat Emptor! on the page. I have not run into any problems.
I use it for a program called namely a Spotlight-like application for quick searching and launching apps.

And Dock Dodger (http://foggynoggin.com/dockdodger) is Donationware.

messed_kid
Jun 14th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Thank you very much. I just downloaded it and it works great. :)

Call me 'Sherman'
Jun 14th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I remember when I began using the first release of OS X - I started downloading every third party app that would make it as OS 9-like as possible...

OUt of curiosity, is it that annoying? Finder is on your dock 24/7 and that doesn't bug you? (If its just an ugly image, I think therer is an easy way of getting the image changed)

messed_kid
Jun 14th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Yes but I use the finder everyday. But also, this app provides the option to have it in the menu bar, which I like...but why would I need it running in the dock and the menu bar. It just doesn't make sense.

And there is no real point in just changing the icon if it were ugly, since i do not have to re-open the app again. It is just like menushade, it just has to be running for it to take effect.

I also didn't want to just change the icon, since I like having my dock clutter free, and only have stuff in there I use often.

HowEver
Jun 14th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I suspect it isn't a problem of "annoyance" but rather one of "continued unhassled employment." (Correction--it's an aesthetic thing.)

(I'm glad I missed OS9, straight from 8.6 to OSX.)

But sure you could change the icon to something friendlier, like a copy of the Finder icon...

I remember when I began using the first release of OS X - I started downloading every third party app that would make it as OS 9-like as possible...

OUt of curiosity, is it that annoying? Finder is on your dock 24/7 and that doesn't bug you? (If its just an ugly image, I think therer is an easy way of getting the image changed)

Call me 'Sherman'
Jun 14th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I suspect it isn't a problem of "annoyance" but rather one of "continued unhassled employment." (Correction--it's an aesthetic thing.)

(I'm glad I missed OS9, straight from 8.6 to OSX.)

But sure you could change the icon to something friendlier, like a copy of the Finder icon...

mmm, the good old system 5.5 days, where have 2 apps open at once was a dream in and of itself :).

messed_kid
Jun 14th, 2007, 05:28 PM
During that time, I was still using Windowsbeejacon