: Yellow binking amber lighter is asking for a hammer!!!!

mitspooner
May 31st, 2007, 10:55 PM
I just picked up a new airport extreme and have spent the past 5 hours trying to get it set up. The two problems I'm having is, I will plug it in and after 10 seconds it will just start with the mocking blinking amber light. Seconded is when I run the airport utility it will not find the base station. I followed the instructions and didn't play with anything. I'm trying to setup using Bell ADSL. Thanks for any help you can give. I hope I didn't get a dud.

DrewNL
Jun 1st, 2007, 03:05 AM
Are you currently connected to a wireless network? Is your bell modem the speedstream wireless type? If you answered yes to either of these, disconnect all wireless devices except the Airport and then try to find it. If you still cannot find it, stick a ballpoint pen, paper clip...etc. in the reset hole and wait til the light flashes rapidly.

D

teeterboy3
Jun 1st, 2007, 07:21 AM
The amber blinking light means its in set up stage. It will do this until the base station has been configured.
Make sure you are using the new Airport Utility and not the old one. The new version looks entirely different. You can't use the older utility to configure the new units.

I had what sounds like the same problem briefly until I installed the new utility. The new utility is on the disc. You also need to install from the CD to enable the "n" capabilities if you have the pre-enabled airport card.

SINC
Jun 1st, 2007, 07:56 AM
I just picked up a new airport extreme and have spent the past 5 hours trying to get it set up. The two problems I'm having is, I will plug it in and after 10 seconds it will just start with the mocking blinking amber light. Seconded is when I run the airport utility it will not find the base station. I followed the instructions and didn't play with anything. I'm trying to setup using Bell ADSL. Thanks for any help you can give. I hope I didn't get a dud.

My Airport Extreme has three white lights.

My Airport EXPRESS has an amber/green light.

Which one are you really talking about?

John Clay
Jun 1st, 2007, 12:41 PM
My Airport Extreme has three white lights.

My Airport EXPRESS has an amber/green light.

Which one are you really talking about?

SINC - the new AirPort Extreme (802.11n) has a single green/amber light. The older, 802.11g, Extremes have 3 white lights.

Also, the amber light will flash until it has connect to the internet (if properly configured). It does not only indicate setup mode, but also 'not connected'.

jmlachance
Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:10 AM
Are you currently connected to a wireless network? Is your bell modem the speedstream wireless type? If you answered yes to either of these, disconnect all wireless devices except the Airport and then try to find it. If you still cannot find it, stick a ballpoint pen, paper clip...etc. in the reset hole and wait til the light flashes rapidly.

D
What do you mean by all wireless devices? Bluetooth KB and cordless phones throughout the house?
I have a similar setup as what you describe above and similar problem with the blinking amber light.
I bought the Apple unit when Future shop made their price error, otherwise I was using the Speedtouch (modem and wireless router all in one) unit, with which I was having some problems as well of getting continuously disconnected. The Apple router worked fine for a few weeks but I now get disconnected every hour or so and I have to reboot the Speedtouch to get back my internet connection. The wireless signal itself is strong from both the Apple and Speedtouch, actually the Apple is stronger, but as is the case right now, I've had to switch my connection from the Apple to the Speedtouch to connect. It's annoying. My kids have a pc on a desk next to mine on the same network but theirs sometimes stays connected and mine drops.
I'm using an Imac G5 with a wireless KB. The Apple router is next to my G5, the Speed touch, into which the Apple unit is plugged in, is a couple of feet up on a shelf. All my software is up to date. The amber light, which used to be green until last week, is blinking amber. I've got Robustness turned on and tried different channels. Just keeps acting up...

SINC
Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
SINC - the new AirPort Extreme (802.11n) has a single green/amber light. The older, 802.11g, Extremes have 3 white lights.

Also, the amber light will flash until it has connect to the internet (if properly configured). It does not only indicate setup mode, but also 'not connected'.

Ya gotta love this place. I'm a wiser man once again.

Thanks for the edumacation.

winwintoo
Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:58 AM
I guess I don't get it. If you have a modem that is already a wireless router, why would you try to connect another wireless router into the mix.

Sure the Apple Extreme is a sexy object, but if you don't need it, well, I think it's just more complexity.

What do you think the Apple Extreme is going to give you that you don't get from the modem/router that you already have?

I keep saying this, but nobody pays any attention. Your problem might be with the old telephone lines you're trying to connect over. Switch to cable and you will probably see the end to dropped signals - Why? well the cable is newer.

I have one of the previous generation of Apple Extreme base stations, and it wouldn't work at all - I spent more time fixing it than I did using the computer. I switched to a Linksys router and got better up-time, but still not good. Then I switched to Cable and have never had a down-time.

But what do I know, I'm just and old fuddy-duddy out here in the boondocks.

Have fun with your messing around.

Margaret

mitspooner
Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
My bell ADSL is wired. I can't get the utilities to find the airport base station. It may take a call to apple to figure it out.

jmlachance
Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:24 PM
I guess I don't get it. If you have a modem that is already a wireless router, why would you try to connect another wireless router into the mix.

Sure the Apple Extreme is a sexy object, but if you don't need it, well, I think it's just more complexity.

What do you think the Apple Extreme is going to give you that you don't get from the modem/router that you already have?

I keep saying this, but nobody pays any attention. Your problem might be with the old telephone lines you're trying to connect over. Switch to cable and you will probably see the end to dropped signals - Why? well the cable is newer.

I have one of the previous generation of Apple Extreme base stations, and it wouldn't work at all - I spent more time fixing it than I did using the computer. I switched to a Linksys router and got better up-time, but still not good. Then I switched to Cable and have never had a down-time.

As i did mention in my post, I got the Apple base station cheap, so I tried it. Having an all Apple system ,even when things don't work 100%, is a lot easier than a mix bag of software/hardware. I dedicate about 15 minutes to getting things to run and it doesn't work, walk away. Most of the time the Apple products work well within that time. The D-links I've given up on. I've been suspecting my phone line so I tested it. It's good, 200,000 ohms to ground and across tip and ring (I'm an ex telephone tech). I don't believe cable is better cause it's newer. You can have a cable connection that's worse than a telephone connection and it does depend on how many others are on same run of cable,if my info is correct. Still you've peeked my curiosity and I'll look into it.
Thanks

winwintoo
Jun 2nd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Where I live, the phone line is definitely a problem - oldest part of the city, and the cable is fibre, about 3 years old.

I thought you said you had a modem that's also a wireless router - I was wondering why you would put another wireless router in the mix?

Wouldn't be the first time I misunderstood.

But, I made the mistake of connecting a wireless router to a modem that was also a router and it took a whole weekend and numerous calls to tech support before one of them figured out the problem - the modem/router got stunned stupid when I connected the extra wireless router. The tech guy at the ISP finally figured it out.

Margaret

jmlachance
Jun 2nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
I thought you said you had a modem that's also a wireless router - I was wondering why you would put another wireless router in the mix?

Wouldn't be the first time I misunderstood.

But, I made the mistake of connecting a wireless router to a modem that was also a router and it took a whole weekend and numerous calls to tech support before one of them figured out the problem - the modem/router got stunned stupid when I connected the extra wireless router. The tech guy at the ISP finally figured it out.

Margaret
Actually, I do have a wireless router connected to another one. Maybe I got some wrong advice but prior to doing this I sought some online advice and was told it was OK. Maybe it's not. The Apple router has received some pretty good reviews, from David Pogue no less, the New York Times Tech guy. He's written a number of Mac books so I'm pretty sure the Apple router is not so much to blame as the setup, as you have mentioned in your case. Don't know. It works with the blinking light and occasional reboot of the modem until I find the time to try something else.