: Networking: iMac G5 + PS3 with Siemens Speedstream 6250!?

Mrs. MiniMac
May 28th, 2007, 11:21 PM
After several long (painful) weeks with Bell Sympatico's Tech Support, they've sent me a Siemens Speedstream 6520. I have the internet running on my iMac G5 (OS X 10.4.9) and am trying to (wirelessly) network it with my husbands PS3. The Playstation will automatically locate the network that we have set-up but the signal is very low (7%). No house phone line or other interference that I can think of. What to do?

madgunde
May 29th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Simple. Relocate the Speedstream 6520 to a more central location where the PS3 can get a stronger signal, preferably higher up, and in an area with the fewest possible physical barriers (walls, doors, etc.) between the modem/router and the networked devices.

Or get some CAT5 ethernet cable run through your house and avoid all the issues with WiFi. You'll get a faster, more reliable network experience that way, and you don't have to worry about interference from neighboring wireless networks, cordless phones, microwave ovens, etc.

Oh, and if you are using WiFi, do yourself a favor and turn on WPA-PSK security if you haven't already. If you are using WEP or no security at all, you might as well just run an ethernet extension from your router out to the street with a sign that says "free internet access, please hack my computers".

Mrs. MiniMac
May 29th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I'll try your suggestions.

tizerfish
May 29th, 2007, 09:36 PM
You also can try to change the channel of the wireless from 6 (the default out of the box for every WIFI router) to anything else try the extremes go from 1 to 11 see if the signal gets better connection

The only other option is to get a modem (just modem) from sympatico then buy a better Router (netgear linksys D-link) and hook it up Bell routers are not the best things in the world thats for sure

madgunde
May 29th, 2007, 10:03 PM
You also can try to change the channel of the wireless from 6 (the default out of the box for every WIFI router) to anything else try the extremes go from 1 to 11 see if the signal gets better connection
That's actually a good suggestion, which I'm surprised I didn't think of. I think though that in my experience, it always ends up being a temporary solution at best, but maybe that's just my situation.

The only other option is to get a modem (just modem) from sympatico then buy a better Router (netgear linksys D-link) and hook it up Bell routers are not the best things in the world thats for sure
Actually, you don't need to get another modem. The Speedstream is a modem and router in one, and it's possible to bypass the router and use your own. I have the same one and I use an Apple AirPort Extreme N as my router. If I remember correctly, all you have to do is disable the auto-connect setting in the Speedstream, then set your router to connect via PPPoE and it works perfectly. You can even plug your computer in directly and use it's own PPPoE client to get it's own internet facing IP. Before I got the AirPort Extreme I had one computer connected directly for Bittorrent and a DLink router connected to provide access to the rest of my devices/computers.