: iWeb Love / Hate

CubaMark
May 8th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I Love iWeb.

It makes webpage design ridiculously simple. One-click publishing to .Mac is a dream. Publish to a folder so I can upload to any non-.Mac service. Great integration with iPhoto and other iLife apps.

I Hate iWeb.

Code is e-freakin'-normous. No common assets - elements are reproduced for every page! One-click publishing to .Mac never f-ing works. Publishing at all to .Mac doesn't f-ing work.

I Want iWeb 2.0. NOW!

:(
M

MannyP Design
May 8th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I Love iWeb.

It makes webpage design ridiculously simple. One-click publishing to .Mac is a dream. Publish to a folder so I can upload to any non-.Mac service. Great integration with iPhoto and other iLife apps.

I Hate iWeb.

Code is e-freakin'-normous. No common assets - elements are reproduced for every page! One-click publishing to .Mac never f-ing works. Publishing at all to .Mac doesn't f-ing work.

I Want iWeb 2.0. NOW!

:(
M

Just get Coda (http://www.panic.com). Learn and grow. ;)

CubaMark
May 8th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I downloaded Coda (and the update) the day it was released - first couple of runs through with it, it didn't "grab" me. But if iWeb doesn't smarten the heck up soon, I might just jump ship...

M

jamesB
May 9th, 2007, 02:06 AM
RapidWeaver (http://www.realmacsoftware.com/) all the way.

jb.

Carl
May 9th, 2007, 03:12 AM
iWeb is pretty good. I don't see the comparison to Rapidweaver though, RW is pretty basic and boring compared to iWeb. I don't think there is a program out there that makes web pages look so good so fast, the only down side is the inability to alter HTML for counters and tags. I usually make the page, then flatten it and then reedit in Dreamweaver to insert my own HTML stuff. I use iWebextender to flatten it.
The iWeb needs to make flatter sites and give you the ability to insert your own code. I imagine they will adopt the new Blogger template system and let you drag and drop code boxes to make it more Web 2.0 like.

guytoronto
May 9th, 2007, 07:23 AM
But if iWeb doesn't smarten the heck up soon, I might just jump ship...

I think you're missing the point of iWeb. It's for people who can't use any other tools. It's designed for the most Internet Illiterate out there.

Yes its functionality is limited. Yes its code is huge.

If that isn't enough for you, there are lots of other options. Adobe Dreamweaver is what pros use.

CubaMark
May 9th, 2007, 10:37 AM
I've played with Rapidweaver, and found it too limiting.

I've used Dreamweaver, and it's a whole lotta work to do something that iWeb does much more quickly, with much more panache.

I disagree that "iWeb is for people who can't use any other tools"- I can use lots of other tools, including my beloved BBEdit, but none of those allow me to so rapidly make something so pretty.

All I want is for iWeb to be improved - soon. Last night, while backing up some material on my old homepages.mac.com webspace, I revisited a website I'd built with Photoshop and ImageReady. Which, at the time, I had thought were rather bloated and slow. Funny how memory works... since the site loads a helluva lot faster than the same site redone in iWeb.

So rather than talk about alternatives, I'd rather talk about when iWeb 2.0 might be released. It's been rumoured since last August to be released in January 2007... we're now almost five months past that. :(

M

Carl
May 9th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I agree with CubaMark, I don't consider myself "illiterate" just because I use a tool that is very effective. That is a bit patronizing. I can use Dreamweaver, but iWeb produces some amazing results in minutes, that would take hours in DW.
I have built a few websites for money using iWeb and then cleaned them in DW, so does that mean I am a pro that uses something for illiterate people?
Software snobs.
This is very similar to the "pro" camera forums where anyone who uses the "auto" function is considered an amateur. Oh my God, someone took a picture without setting their own aperture and shutter speed! We have these amazing tools at our disposal, and sometimes "auto", like iWeb does the job and produces a perfect result.

MannyP Design
May 9th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I agree with CubaMark, I don't consider myself "illiterate" just because I use a tool that is very effective. That is a bit patronizing. I can use Dreamweaver, but iWeb produces some amazing results in minutes, that would take hours in DW.
I have built a few websites for money using iWeb and then cleaned them in DW, so does that mean I am a pro that uses something for illiterate people?
Software snobs.
This is very similar to the "pro" camera forums where anyone who uses the "auto" function is considered an amateur. Oh my God, someone took a picture without setting their own aperture and shutter speed! We have these amazing tools at our disposal, and sometimes "auto", like iWeb does the job and produces a perfect result.

Please, learn to read. Apple's focus for the software was for those who are "illiterate". This does not mean it is used exclusively by illiterate people.

Gawd, people are so [email protected]' sensitive.

And, no, it's not perfect--hence the enormous code issues that bog the page down.

guytoronto
May 9th, 2007, 04:45 PM
*** Bangs head on desk ***

MannyP Design gets it.

It's like complaining that iMovie doesn't do colour-correction. It's designed for entry-level people. That doesn't mean others don't use it, it just means the software is designed for the lowest common denominator (like most iLife software).

CubaMark
May 9th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Please, learn to read. ....
Gawd, people are so [email protected]' sensitive.

Holy Crap! What - I leave Canada for a few months and you all forget your bloody manners? "Learn to read"?

It's the total lack of civility in web forums that drive people away, or keep them forever in "lurker" status, because ***** (deleted) *people* who have some psychological deficiency that prevents them from functioning as respectful members of society feel the need to criticize and browbeat others.

Grow the hell up, the lot of you.

M

guytoronto
May 9th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Umm...CubaMark. I don't know if you can see the irony, but you are showing a "total lack of civility" when you refer to us "***** (deleted) *people*", all because of a couple of posts. ;)

HowEver
May 9th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Umm...CubaMark. I don't know if you can see the irony, but you are showing a "total lack of civility" when you refer to us "***** (deleted) *people*", all because of a couple of posts. ;)

Now then, guytoronto, let's not generalize about CubaMark based on one unregulated outburst...

MannyP Design
May 10th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Holy Crap! What - I leave Canada for a few months and you all forget your bloody manners? "Learn to read"?

It's the total lack of civility in web forums that drive people away, or keep them forever in "lurker" status, because ***** (deleted) *people* who have some psychological deficiency that prevents them from functioning as respectful members of society feel the need to criticize and browbeat others.

Grow the hell up, the lot of you.

M

You seem to confuse me with someone who had manners in the first place.

Sorry, but when someone starts pulling the "Software snob" card, I don't particularly give two pence if my post is polite or not... especially when they don't take the time to consider what was actually said, versus firing off a defensive knee-jerk reaction.

But whatever. Hakuna matata. :rolleyes:

Carl
May 11th, 2007, 03:47 AM
If you don't care if your post is polite or not, then don't get upset when someone points it out. Software snob was accurate, and there lots of them in the forums. I find it so patronizing that everything is "entry level" to "experts" whose only real claim to expertise is the fact that they have posted thousands and thousands of posts.
The Apple forums actually grade peoples expertise level on the number of posts.
If you admittedly have no manners, care little if you are polite, then you should really keep the rest to yourself. Knee jerk? I'll accept the knee. You can be the jerk. That would be the definition of an admittedly impolite, ill mannered person wouldn't it?

MannyP Design
May 11th, 2007, 06:02 AM
If you don't care if your post is polite or not, then don't get upset when someone points it out. Software snob was accurate, and there lots of them in the forums. I find it so patronizing that everything is "entry level" to "experts" whose only real claim to expertise is the fact that they have posted thousands and thousands of posts.

It's not my fault you feel defensive about the software you use. Get a thicker skin. Software snob was NOT accurate and nor was it warranted.

If you admittedly have no manners, care little if you are polite, then you should really keep the rest to yourself. Knee jerk? I'll accept the knee. You can be the jerk. That would be the definition of an admittedly impolite, ill mannered person wouldn't it?

Wow... what a witty retort. Learn to recognize sarcasm. Better yet, try general humor on for size. :lmao:

Carl
May 11th, 2007, 01:38 PM
You are rude. People like you simply ruin social sites like this. If you don't have anything nice to say......

guytoronto
May 11th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Actually Carl, your comment of "software snobs" was totally inappropriate.

The comment about iWeb being designed for absolute beginners is correct. It is designed for people who don't know how to make web pages. It is designed for the the "Internet Illiterate".

You say rude people ruin social sites like this. Go back to the beginning of this thread and find the first rude comment. I think it was "Software snobs".

If you disagree with statement "iWeb is for people who can't use any other tools", what software would you recommend to people who can't use Dreamweaveror Rapidweaver?

MannyP Design
May 11th, 2007, 02:19 PM
You are rude. People like you simply ruin social sites like this. If you don't have anything nice to say......

I'm sorry you're too uptight to recognize that the only problem here is your ability to be easily offended. I've been a member of this site far, FAR longer than you and have contributed more to this community than you know.

Regardless, if it makes it any better I apologize for my earlier comment "Gawd, people are so [email protected]' sensitive." And I'm sorry if my post implied that everyone who used iWeb was illiterate.

CubaMark
May 11th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I've only been a member of this forum for six years. Guess it takes some of us a long time to learn. Well, I've learned my lesson.

Nevermore shall I offer an unsolicited opinion on a piece of software which is in any way critical. The last thing I want is to contribute to greater strife and discord between members of this community.

I sincerely and wholeheartedly apologize for any discomfort I may have caused by stating publicly that I wished iWeb 2.0 were released sooner.

Yes, I've learned my lesson.

M.

MannyP Design
May 11th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I've only been a member of this forum for six years. Guess it takes some of us a long time to learn. Well, I've learned my lesson.

Nevermore shall I offer an unsolicited opinion on a piece of software which is in any way critical. The last thing I want is to contribute to greater strife and discord between members of this community.

I sincerely and wholeheartedly apologize for any discomfort I may have caused by stating publicly that I wished iWeb 2.0 were released sooner.

Yes, I've learned my lesson.

M.

You're such a drama queen.

guytoronto
May 11th, 2007, 10:24 PM
There's nothing wrong with offering an opinion.

Getting all pissy when others disagree? That's a different situation.

spiralgirl
May 16th, 2007, 10:27 PM
James,

Is Rapidweaver easy to use. I'm currently designing a site with iWeb but it does have it's quirks for sure. I really wanted to do it in Dreamweaver but found it too confusing for me. I new at doing a website and iWeb was easier to figure out despite the problems with it. My big petpeeve is that everytime you upload it again you have to redo all the HTML things again.

S.

sgabriel
Jul 29th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Does anyone know where iWebextender went? I would love to get my hands on it, but it seems to have disappeared..

Is anyone aware of another piece of software (usable by genuine web design illiterates like myself) that will do the same thing to iWeb output?