: Honda service in Fredericton.......

rgray
Apr 3rd, 2007, 03:39 PM
The Honda dealer (Sutherland, I think) in Fredericton has just violated trust with my daughter by offering an outrageous estimate of required work. I need to find a reliable, female friendly repair shop that is good with Honda. Suggestions please...

RunTheWorldOnMac
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:24 PM
I would take it into anoth Honda dealership and get their estimate; then contact Honda Canada. Then again, this is dealership. They are trained to submit any repairs that are neccessary to bring to vehicle back to it's original state. Much like crappy tire. Then again, they could have tried to take advantage of her...

rgray
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:27 PM
Put it this way - without any history they suggested a cam belt replacement. Replacement interval according to Honda is 100,000km. It was done less than 20,000 km ago. They are beyond my trust and the nearest dealer (tmk) is Saint John.

i<3myiBookg4
Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:41 PM
I know what you mean about "female friendly".
I took a Ford Freestyle to the Ford dealership for making a noise and was told it was the SEATBELTS. My mom also took it out, was told it was the LICENSE PLATE. It was there about three times... It made this noise since the night we bought it in February 2006. Only 18,000 kms.

My stepdad took it last month and got it fixed FINALLY. It was a strut.

rgray
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:44 PM
The way they "explained" things left my daughter very worried about safety. She took it in for a brake squeak! They found the brakes fine (winter dust, dampness). Then they went shopping for work and seeing a 'girl' they went nuts. I will be teaching at UNBSJ in a couple of weeks and will be talking to (shouting at) the manager/owner as high up the scale as I can get. I will also be making as much public noise as I can... This kind of thing really pisses me off - Honda should be above this sort of thing. I'm sure Honda Canada will be interested. What makes this even worse is that the "service writer" was female.

I still need to find a trustworthy shop in Fredericton.

SINC
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:33 PM
I would be careful if I were you. What you hear as feedback from you daughter and what is the truth are two different stories. From experience, you might be best to set those emotions aside before you jump in the lake. ;)

rgray
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
I would be careful if I were you. What you hear as feedback from you daughter and what is the truth are two different stories. From experience, you might be best to set those emotions aside before you jump in the lake. ;)
I have full records on this car as it was my own up until very recently and I had a bunch of proactive service done before handing it over, and I have had contact with this dealer before. But I hear you and, of course, will take care before drawing the sword. :D

TroutMaskReplica
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:52 PM
one has to be wary when dealing with mechanics. there is some truth to the stereotype.

SINC
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:54 PM
But I hear you and, of course, will take care before drawing the sword. :D
A wise move indeed. That being said, "go get 'em"! :D

mrjimmy
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I have always had good experiences with Midas shops (either myself or my gf). I think they may be a bit more careful in protecting the brand.

AppleEnthusiast
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I'm not sure this is a "female specific" problem.

My Honda dealer tells me to do every little thing on my 1993 Civic (~300,000kms now). I remember one of the first times I went there they tried to get me to clean out the roof drains on the sunroof, wanted like 50 bucks, all they do is shoot compressed air for like 5 seconds I think lol.

But seriously every thing, "oh that belt looks like its getting old" that was probably 5 years ago... Lots of suspension bits too.

They can suggest all they want, it's up to you to figure out what's worth doing.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I think the dealer might be trying to pull a fast one...best bet for merit and ammo for a fight is to find another mechanic; get a quote and compare. If they say there is nothing wrong, then specifically ask them to check the belt. THEN, go to Honda and bit*h. You need proof to fight this battle.

rgray
May 10th, 2007, 10:21 AM
best bet for merit and ammo for a fight is to find another mechanic; get a quote and compare.
it's up to you to figure out what's worth doing.
Well we got a second opinion, and a place that explained priorities in a way with which we are comfortable. I don't need this for myself as a lifelong gearhead, but I "needed" someone in whom I had confidence. Unlike dealers, this place was prepared to walk you around, under your car to fully explain and provide safety glasses, to boot(:clap: ) - you talk to the guy who does the work, not some bimbo (like at the Fredricton Honda joint) out front.

Props to Speedy on Prospect. Not only explained the necessary, suggested priorities, and did the work same day!!!

K_OS
May 10th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Well we got a second opinion, and a place that explained priorities in a way with which we are comfortable. I don't need this for myself as a lifelong gearhead, but I "needed" someone in whom I had confidence. Unlike dealers, this place was prepared to walk you around, under your car to fully explain and provide safety glasses, to boot(:clap: ) - you talk to the guy who does the work, not some bimbo (like at the Fredricton Honda joint) out front.

Props to Speedy on Prospect. Not only explained the necessary, suggested priorities, and did the work same day!!!

sounds like a keeper I've never been into a shop that would talk me trough what was needed and showed me the parts that were going to be replaced and to boot they did the job the same day just WOW, hang on to that Midas shop for dear life because its rare that you get that kind of customer care in auto shop nowadays.

Laterz :)

rgray
May 10th, 2007, 12:13 PM
sounds like a keeper I've never been into a shop that would talk me trough what was needed and showed me the parts that were going to be replaced and to boot they did the job the same day just WOW, hang on to that Midas shop for dear life because its rare that you get that kind of customer care in auto shop nowadays.

Not Midas (tho' I have nothing specific against them, I also have no data in support.

The props are for the SPEEDY on Prospect in F'ton, NB..... - a keeper.

K_OS
May 10th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Not Midas (tho' I have nothing specific against them, I also have no data in support.

The props are for the SPEEDY on Prospect in F'ton, NB..... - a keeper.

LOL

OOOPs sorry I got distracted by work while I was reading and thought I saw Midas.