: The other tomato debate..

rgray
Mar 17th, 2007, 09:14 PM
How do you prefer to pronounce 'tomato'..??

Dr.G.
Mar 17th, 2007, 09:15 PM
toe-may-toe, with the "may" accented.

genuineadvantage
Mar 17th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Trying to jack my thread I see :) Jokes.. Jokes :lmao: I pronounce it tom_ay_to

lol ill laugh if some one starts a poll with the question "Do you like tomatoes?" Yes or no :)

rgray
Mar 17th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Trying to jack my thread I see :) Jokes.. Jokes :lmao: I pronounce it tom_ay_to

Didn't mean to offend - just, to me, when someone wants to 'debate' tomato, usually it's about the pronunciation. I just couldn't resist. ;)

lol ill laugh if some one starts a poll with the question "Do you like tomatoes?" Yes or no :)
How 'bout "Do you prefer tomato juice with or without vodka?" ;)

genuineadvantage
Mar 17th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Didn't mean to offend - just, to me, when someone wants to 'debate' tomato, usually it's about the pronunciation. I just couldn't resist. ;)

Oh my! I am definitely not offended! No offense taken! lmao I agree that the other tomato debate is about the pronunciation. I don't think that for both of these debates there will ever be a final answer. I guess who ever has the majority vote on ehMac wins :D

:lmao: Right on! :lmao: :clap: :D

SINC
Mar 17th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I pronounce it tom_ay_to.

The Doug
Mar 17th, 2007, 10:17 PM
to-may-to

Aurora
Mar 18th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Who cares. In England it's to-Mah-to. Life is diversity.

MACSPECTRUM
Mar 18th, 2007, 03:06 AM

that should be "clo-mah-to"
;)

Dr.G.
Mar 18th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Not to be a linguistic stickler, but "to" in English is pronounced as "two". "Toe" is like "tow". So, since "tom" is pronounced like "tom", the choices in the poll are betweeen ay-two or ah-two. Without the long vowel sign over the "o", "to" is pronounced as "two". Of course, we could get into a discussion between open and closed vowels in the English language, but that might muddy the waters somewhat.

Paix, mes amis.

The Doug
Mar 18th, 2007, 08:48 AM
In my post above I tried inserting letters with long-vowel marks however when I submitted the post, it came out as t?-m?-t? - so I had to edit the message. I think I have indeed heard some people pronounce it t?-m?-t? before though.

The Doug
Mar 18th, 2007, 08:53 AM
that should be "clo-mah-to"
;)

Is that the one that's made with clom juice?

SINC
Mar 18th, 2007, 10:01 AM
That one is cla-mah-toe to me.

Dr.G.
Mar 18th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Doug, you have also not sylabbicated the word "tomato" properly. Check out a dictionary and I think that you will see it as to-ma-to. I should check this myself, and, of course, my spelling is not the phonetic orthography in the dictionary. Still, there are three sylables, and the first one is not "tom" (I think).

I can never find a dictionary when I need one.

SINC
Mar 18th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I can never find a dictionary when I need one.
http://www.m-w.com/

http://dictionary.reference.com/

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/

Dr.G.
Mar 18th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Thank you, Sinc. "to·ma·to". My reputation as a linguist has been redeemed. Merci, mon ami.

The Doug
Mar 18th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Doug, you have also not sylabbicated the word "tomato" properly....

'Twas not I. My posts in this thread have proper syllabic breaks where the subject fruit is named. I believe you refer to someone else...

Dr.G.
Mar 18th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Doug, I stand corrected. This is rgray's thread and not yours. Thus, the miscue is his re the proper syllabication of the word "tomato". Mea culpa. Paix, mon ami.

Lawrence
Mar 18th, 2007, 05:24 PM
My teacher in grade school always said to say Ay, But my Doctor always got me to say Ah.

Dave :)