: I changed the name of the house icon and my life haven't been the same since

Blu
Feb 26th, 2007, 10:19 AM
OK, so I'm not computer saavy. I bought my first computer and laptop 1 year ago. While backing up my files I decided to change the name of the house icon. My first clue that something wasn't right was when I tried to access firefox and all my bookmarks were gone it's as if I just installed it. I then tried to open my iphoto and it was blank. I then tried to open my address book which wouldn't open so I decided to shut down and restart.

That's when my desktop appeared as it did when I first got it. No info in address book, no files on desktop...blank and the house icon still had the old name :mad: What!!! I'm was so distraught (still am). I was just about to jump off the balcony when my husband said he found my files (not sure if it's all of them, I refused to look) in HD/"new name I a gave the house icon"/

This happened 3 days ago and still haven't touched my laptop since. I'm very afraid I've lost everything.

Can anyone help me?

PS:Apple 12" iBook G4 Notebook
(1.33GHz PowerPC G4, 512MB DDR, 60GB, DVD/CD-RW, Mac OS X.4)

Chealion
Feb 26th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Hi, this *should* fix if you change the house icon's name back. The name is tied to your account and shouldn't be changed. The reason everything doesn't have settings is because it can't find your old files when it looks at /Users/accountname/wherever because it's now hiding at /Users/newhousename/wherever.

ColBalt
Feb 26th, 2007, 10:49 AM
After you did what Chealion suggested, repair Disk Permisions.

Blu
Feb 26th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Ok. The thing is the house icon still has the old name. In the users folder I have 1. a folder with the new name 2. the house icon with the old name. On the left side the house icon in finder is still there with the old name. So what do I change?

monokitty
Feb 26th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I've always wondered why Apple so easily allows the end-user to change the name of the home folder...

Hi, this *should* fix if you change the house icon's name back.

This rarely to never works. Once the home folder has been renamed, most data connected to the old path is lost (not necessarily forever gone, but complicated to retrieve), and renaming it back to the old, original name doesn't fix the problem.

John Clay
Feb 26th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Give this a whirl:

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/renamehomerecovery.html

If you feel that you MUST have that new name, follow these instructions, which should work:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106824

Blu
Feb 26th, 2007, 11:14 PM
:clap: :) Great news I followed this link
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107854
and it worked like a charm everything is back to normal and it was quiet easy. For sure I thought this would end badly. I'm so relieved!! Big thanks to John Clay.

Lars I found other people who went through the same steps and found it very successful. I was with you, I thought for sure this would be trouble but surprisingly the simplicity of a Mac came through.

Thanks so much for your help guys.

monokitty
Feb 27th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Nice! *bookmarks the link* :)