: Flashing World Icon?

JumboJones
Feb 20th, 2007, 12:00 PM
This morning we got a flashing world icon when we started up our Rev A G5 iMac, now I've see the flashing folder with a question mark, but never this. We reset the pram and all is well, but I was just wondering if anyone else has got this or if they know what was the cause?

Vexel
Feb 20th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Can you take a screenshot if it happens again? Command + Shift + 3 for a fullscreen, or Command + Shift + 4 for a selection.

edit: Sorry, I misread. This was on startup.

A flashing globe means that it's looking for a Netboot Server that doesn't exist. If it's resolved, shouldn't happen again.

JumboJones
Feb 20th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Interesting, thanks.

Digital_Gary
Feb 20th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Go into startup disk and pick your drive. After that, you shouldn't see it again.

mguertin
Feb 20th, 2007, 04:24 PM
That's what it looks like when it searches the network for a netboot server and doesn't find one. Sounds like it was having problems accessing the hard disk and it somehow defaulted to looking on the network for something bootable. If it went back to normal after resetting the PRAM (and slecting a startup disk as Gary suggests above) then you might be able to just chalk it up to PRAM weirdness. I'd make sure you have backups of this machine "just in case" though either way ;)