: Entourage 2004 slooooow

BobbyFett
Feb 20th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Does anyone else have problems with Entourage 2004's speed?

I have a sizeable email database obviously.

For example, when I want to do a quick search at the top right, changing from 'subject' to 'from' takes an age before I can type anything in the search field.

And also, I've noticed if i have an email that is particularly long eg, if i've been emailing the same person back and forth all day, with each email being quoted in the same email, by the end of the day, it takes forever to preview/ open/ reply to that email.

Pelao
Feb 20th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I suggest you Google the issue: I have seen reports of Entourage slowing when the database is large - and instances of entire e-mail databases being lost.

Back up your messages!

Ants
Feb 20th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Have a look around this site, lots of info regarding Entourage help and tips...
http://www.entourage.mvps.org/index.html

madgunde
Feb 20th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Switch to Apple Mail, searches are lightning fast, and you can use Spotlight to search messages as well.

CanadaRAM
Feb 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM
How big IS your database?

If it breakes the 2 Gb barrier (don't laugh, it happens, OK :o ) then it can all go pear-shaped rather quickly.

You can rebuild your Entourage database to purge the deleted items and reorganize the index.

1) Delete all mail that you don't need. Empty trash

2) Delete attachments from mail that you either don't need, or that you know you have saved out to your hard drive.

3) Make SURE you have more than 2 Gb free (or whatever the size of your database is) ON THE DRIVE that the email database is on. If you don't have enough space DO NOT proceed. Entourage will truncate your mail data when it runs out of disk space, and it will NOT give you an error message of that fact.

3.5) Optionally, restart the machine so there's nothing else running
3.75) Paranoid option, burn your Microsoft User Data folder to DVD-R

4) Click the Entourage icon while holding down the (Option key IIRC - it's been 2 years or so, but it one of those keys. If E starts up normally, that wasn;t the key ;) ) and it will pop up a dialog asking if you want to rebuild the database. (there is also an option for a 'complex' rebuild which takes longer but is more thorough, I can;t remember if that requires a different modifier key combo.)
Answer Yes, then go and have lunch. I recommend Thai, it's so good.

5) When you come back, you should see that Entourage has made a backup copy of the database and the index named "old" or "Backup" or something, and it will now be using your new, slimmed down database.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com