: iSight sells for $610 on Ebay!

TripleX
Feb 18th, 2007, 01:32 PM
This is not a misprint, an iSight sold for $610 on Ebay. I sure wish I had an extra one around....lol.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iSight-Brand-New-Shrink-wrapped-in-Box_W0QQitemZ300078875958QQihZ020QQcategoryZ80045Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

HowEver
Feb 18th, 2007, 01:36 PM
https://www.ehmac.ca/showthread.php?t=49723

infinity8
Feb 18th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Wow! 29 bids I can't believe the demand for the thing.

monokitty
Feb 18th, 2007, 07:28 PM
People are crazy to pay that much for an iSight...

Bjornbro
Feb 18th, 2007, 07:31 PM
People are crazy to pay that much for an iSight...
What about original AirPort cards too?

monokitty
Feb 18th, 2007, 07:33 PM
What about original AirPort cards too?

Same deal.

Pat McCrotch
Feb 18th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Why did apple discontinue the iSight if it's such a hot product?

groovetube
Feb 18th, 2007, 09:22 PM
yea minis don't have them. Nice Apple.

mikef
Feb 18th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Wow, that's a lot of coin... for the same money, one could buy a very good quality MiniDV cam which can function as a webcam in it's downtime :) Sure, not nearly as pretty or compact as the iSight, but a lot more functionality for less money.

HowEver
Feb 18th, 2007, 10:25 PM

It wasn't such a hot product until Apple discontinued it, of course.

optical
Feb 18th, 2007, 10:50 PM
It seems even more odd seeing as that is standard built in equipment in all the mac lines that have a built in screen.... wierd.

monokitty
Feb 18th, 2007, 11:01 PM
It seems even more odd seeing as that is standard built in equipment in all the mac lines that have a built in screen.... wierd.

It wouldn't make sense to integrate an iSight into a Mac mini or Mac Pro as both those units don't sit in front of you, unlike the MacBook, MacBook Pro, and iMac.

apple4life
Feb 18th, 2007, 11:43 PM

From wikipedia:

The external iSight has been withdrawn from sale in the European Union and the United States, according to AppleInsider, allegedly due to the introduction of the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive on 1 July 2006. However, the iSight continues to feature built-in on the MacBook, MacBook Pro, and iMac. It is thought that a reason for the discontinuation could be that new Cinema Displays may start having integrated iSight cameras, although this rumor has not panned out, so far (as of MacWorld 2007).

I guess GreenMyApple did a number

Mississauga
Feb 19th, 2007, 10:37 AM
From wikipedia:

The external iSight has been withdrawn from sale in the European Union and the United States, according to AppleInsider, allegedly due to the introduction of the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive on 1 July 2006. However, the iSight continues to feature built-in on the MacBook, MacBook Pro, and iMac. It is thought that a reason for the discontinuation could be that new Cinema Displays may start having integrated iSight cameras, although this rumor has not panned out, so far (as of MacWorld 2007).

I guess GreenMyApple did a number
Well, geez... couldn't Apple simply apply a label reading "Not to be taken orally"? ;)

gordguide
Feb 19th, 2007, 06:10 PM
The external iSights are somewhat more versatile than the built-in ones, which are simplified, eliminating the iris and focus ability for a fixed focus lens. The audio side also differed from the way audio is handled on the internals.

Of course if you are using an external camera, FireWire is the way to go, because plugging it in won't affect your other FireWire devices and you can still make full speed use of at least one USB device per bus; the number of which will vary. Older Macs may have only two USB buses and they may be only USB 1.1 buses; totally inadequate for iSight video, let alone audio.

Apple has a dedicated internal USB bus for the built-in iSights (up to 8 USB buses are available on the motherboard, depending on your model Mac), so plugging in stuff on one of the two external USB bus won't affect the camera or the external device.

ROHS has no effect outside the EU (came into effect on 1 July 06), and as recently as October 2006 they were available at the US Apple Store, so I'm not sure why AppleInsider cited that as a reason for it's discontinuation worldwide. I'm surprised that the iSight would be caught up in that, the revision C iSights were released in 2005, and most manufacturers moved to lead-free solder in anticipation of the changes long before the deadline rolled around. Perhaps one of the other banned substances was involved (cadmium, mercury, brominated flame retardents, or hexavalent chromium).

Apple also stopped selling the eMac, two models of Airport Base Station, and one model of the iPod Shuffle external battery pack in the EU prior to 1 July 06 due to ROHS compliance issues.

Having said all that, some iSights are currently selling in the order of $US 225~275.00, so this auction probably won't be repeated. There are 3 external models; Apple part # M8817LL/ with A, B, or C after the slash. Every once in a while a single eBay auction is way out of range for a given product; not sure how that happens but it definitely does happen.