: Really great tip for CBC in iTunes!

tedj
Feb 17th, 2007, 08:37 AM
http://insidethecbc.com/platforms/website/play-cbc-radio-inside-itunes/print/

Vexel
Feb 17th, 2007, 09:00 AM
The only reason the stream won't play in iTunes is because it's a Microsoft .asx file.

If it was a shoutcast or icecast stream (which is free) it would work without issue on all platforms. Pretty much all Mp3 Jukeboxes can connect to a shoutcast/icecast stream.

Cool tip though, but, I'm not one to hack something just because it won't work with my Mac out of the box. A place like CBC should be on top of that already.

rgray
Feb 17th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Pshaw!! I posted this exact same tip here (https://www.ehmac.ca/showpost.php?p=368176&postcount=11) on ehMac last May.... It worked OK at the time but doesn't seem to do so well now..

tedj
Feb 17th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Its not really a "hack". Takes literally three seconds. All you're doing, basically, is saving the stream info in the file, then opening the file in itunes as if it was a regular audio file.

On the other hand, either you're one of those people who'll do anything for that saturday morning fix of radio one, or... well... I guess you're one of those who won't?

Vexel
Feb 17th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Its not really a "hack". Takes literally three seconds. All you're doing, basically, is saving the stream info in the file, then opening the file in itunes as if it was a regular audio file.

On the other hand, either you're one of those people who'll do anything for that saturday morning fix of radio one, or... well... I guess you're one of those who won't?

Very true, I'm sure there's lots of people that will enjoy this tutorial. But, it would be so easy for CBC to set up a shoutcast server, even on top of this one that Mac and Linux users can connect to with any player. I could set up one myself, right now.. but, that would defeat the purpose of getting CBC to do it. :) And, I'm sure I would get in trouble. :D

wtl
Feb 17th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I was a bit displeased to note that the comments were taken off. I wanted to ask a question.

"Why is it that the CBC discriminates against Mac users with its selection of technology when there are other technologies available that don't require work-arounds that beginner users would be unable to accomplish?"

Maybe I'll email them. ;-)

Elric
Feb 17th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Well I gave it a shot, but the pop up it shows I don't get the progress bar, it opens QT and I can't save files in Quicktime...

mrjimmy
Feb 17th, 2007, 12:39 PM
So I have the QT file on my desktop and when I drag it into iTunes nothing happens...it doesn't show up at all.

?????

Vexel
Feb 17th, 2007, 12:43 PM
So I have the QT file on my desktop and when I drag it into iTunes nothing happens...it doesn't show up at all.

?????
I believe that's because it's a streaming file. What happens if you double click it? Or choose "Open with: iTunes" under the contextual menu?

mrjimmy
Feb 17th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I believe that's because it's a streaming file. What happens if you double click it? Or choose "Open with: iTunes" under the contextual menu?

When double clicked it opens in QTplayer and is streaming. Nothing under CM. I suppose QTplayer is fine although in the reference site it says to drag it into iTunes and voila. No voila for moi.

guzzi guy
Feb 17th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Here's another tip. I use Wiretap Pro for recording CBC. It's a great stream ripper that syncs with ical, and it does everything for you, including saving it in itunes once it's all done. It's a great way to record Brave New Waves, as I can't seem to remember to record it on my own.

I think I paid $12 for it, but it's been worth every penny, because it has so many uses.