: Lemon or Just Plain Bad Luck?

K_OS
Feb 15th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Here is the story, 2 years ago I bought my sister a brand new 12" G4 iBook a base model but for a university student it's more than adequate. 3 months into it's ownership she spotted a grey spot on the screen so Apple replaced the screen and when it came back 3 weeks later the spot was still there so another 2 weeks and the logic board was replaced all that time and she was without a computer for school. Forward to Late last year and she starts to notice that the ibook crashes to what she starting to call "the grey screen of death" she took the iBook back to the Apple store at Yorkdale and they told her that her hard drive needed to be replaced so she leaves it there for another 2 weeks and when it comes back she still has the same problem now they have told her the logic board needs to be replaced again. Thank god for Apple's extended warranty but this iBook is definetely a lemon and needs to be replaced as soon as possible at Apple's cost, this time I had an old Compaq laptop for my sister to use but it's on it's last legs as well and I don't know how long it will last. I'll try to get trough Apple's customer service today and see if I can get this mess straightened out asap otherwise I will just let my sister switch back because if this is Apple's new quality then I will let her stick to Windoze laptops they are of the same quality as a iBook but allot cheaper to purchase.

Laterz :)

HowEver
Feb 15th, 2007, 01:13 PM
https://www.ehmac.ca/showthread.php?t=45183

K_OS
Feb 15th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I will keep everyone posted has to my adventure with Apples CSR's. I had a Lombard back in 99 with a failed logic board and Apple gave me a new one so I'm a bit optimistic that I can get my sister a new Mac Book without too much hassle.

IronMac
Feb 15th, 2007, 09:33 PM
You think your sister's got bad luck? A friend of mine in Ottawa had her Wintel laptop flake out on her due to her being sold the wrong plug by The Source. She sent it in for repair but they're asking for $500 because of "abuse". Yeah, right! There's a fight on in that!

In the meantime, she couldn't buy a cheap Mac laptop in Ottawa in time for a trip to Calgary and purchased a refurbed Wintel machine there at Computer Trends. That just flaked out on her! It's being sent back to Calgary.

Both of the machines have "extended" warranties. :greedy:

I begged her to buy a Macbook before her trip but she wouldn't listen. XX)

K_OS
Feb 19th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I was going to call Apple on Friday when my sister calls and tells me that Apple had just called her to say that her iBook is ready. So for now this chapter is closed hopefully there aren't any other problems with her iBook but if there are I told her not to bother taking in to the Apple store and just call Apple and tell them to send you a new Mac Book.

John Clay
Feb 19th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I was going to call Apple on Friday when my sister calls and tells me that Apple had just called her to say that her iBook is ready. So for now this chapter is closed hopefully there aren't any other problems with her iBook but if there are I told her not to bother taking in to the Apple store and just call Apple and tell them to send you a new Mac Book.

That approach won't get you very far.. You have to be nice to the CSR, and treat them with respect, and maybe they will replace it.