: Low G5 vs High G4

Macfury
Feb 15th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I've been noticing single-processor 1.6 Ghz and 1.8Ghz G5s entering the used market at extremely low prices--around $800--while dual G4s around 1Mhz are offered at the same price or higher. Has Intel killed all interest in the entry-level G5s?

If a Dual 1.42 Ghz G4 and a Single 1.8 Ghz G5 were being offered at the same price with the same RAM and HD sizes, which would YOU go for?

Apple101
Feb 15th, 2007, 11:19 AM
I've been noticing single-processor 1.6 Ghz and 1.8Ghz G5s entering the used market at extremely low prices--around $800--while dual G4s around 1Mhz are offered at the same price or higher. Has Intel killed all interest in the entry-level G5s?

If a Dual 1.42 Ghz G4 and a Single 1.8 Ghz G5 were being offered at the same price with the same RAM and HD sizes, which would YOU go for?

Definitely the G5 because purchases that are technology related should always be as current as it can possibly be, but within your budget. Also I believe the G5's are 64bit.

MacDoc
Feb 15th, 2007, 11:27 AM
G5 even tho the dual g4 is a bit more muscle the G5 artictecture offsets it and we've seen way too many issues with MDDs overheating - tho the 1.42s being the last gen of them had improved cooling.

Be careful with single 1.8s they had more than their share of issues entirely due to Apple's mucking up the firmware.

1.6s have been relatively trouble free and run quieter than the MDDs

John Clay
Feb 15th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Also consider the bus speed - on the G5, it's more than 4 times that of MDD.

madgunde
Feb 15th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I'd go for the G5 hands down.

Macfury
Feb 15th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Thanks, guys.

MacDoc
Feb 15th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I'll drop this in here as I keep forgetting.
When people are cruising for new machines keep an eye out for good deals even if it's not in your target list.
We'll pay a finders fee as we are forever short of good used G5s and Intels.

TIA

Mississauga
Feb 15th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Early G5s cannot "deal with" my MDD configuration; hardware RAID 0 boot volume, software RAID 1 data volume, 2 x internal optical drives. For these reasons, an early G5 wouldn't suit my needs. Now, a Mac Pro... almost there, except for hardware RAID 0.

... not to mention the MDD line was the most beautiful of all Apple towers! ;)

Macaholic
Feb 15th, 2007, 01:58 PM
... not to mention the MDD line was the most beautiful of all Apple towers! ;)

Dude, are you kidding?? You think the inharmonious clumping of matte silver, SHINY silver... and the white of the stock Apple Pro keyboard and mouse (which started with the G4 Mac, IIRC) looks good?

http://www.at-mac.com/used-mac/2006/0114-mdd-img/logo-img/cut1.jpg

The cheese-grater on the front may give it that "muscle-car look", but beautiful it aint.

Now, the Quicksilver... that was a beautiful, elegant tower that, IMHO comes as close to Apple's stylistic philosophy as any tower does:

http://www.apple-history.com/images/models/g4_quick.jpg

Even the MDD alone and with its doors matted looks less cohesive:

http://www.apple-history.com/images/models/g4_mdd.jpg

But, if you want to muscle up a Powermac, the MDD lends itself to this very well. CLICK HERE for large pic (http://www.ktechpc.com/apple/g4mdd2.jpg). Kinda "Borg-like", eh? And -- just for the "DELL" of it, check out the reflection in the mirror'd door. I see a cardboard box...

But anyway, that's just one man's opinion ;)

On the subject of the G5s, anybody agree that there will probably NEVER be CPU upgrades for it? I predicted this a few years ago and so far it's proving to be true.

DoNotPokeTheScreen
Feb 15th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Be careful with single 1.8s they had more than their share of issues entirely due to Apple's mucking up the firmware.

1.6s have been relatively trouble free and run quieter than the MDDs

There were two versions of 1.8GHz G5s. The 2003 1.8GHz G5s with 900MHz bus were fine. Only the 600MHz bus / June '04 version of 1.8GHz PowerMac G5 had firmware issues. Apple released a patch to solve the firmware issues, which can be found easily on google.

I owned the latter version of 1.8GHz PowerMac before, but never experienced any problems at all.