: Want to migrate my xp to the imac. Is it possible?

MacGuiver
Feb 14th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Hi everyone

Got xp installed on my MacPro and we've recently come into an intel imac. The main reason for getting xp was to play games.
My question is, is it legal, is it possible to take xp off of my MacPro and instead install it on the imac? XP has been activated on the MacPro already so would it still work if I installed it on the imac?

Cheers
MacGuiver

West Coast Boy
Feb 14th, 2007, 12:57 PM
As far as I know there should be no issues moving your license (as long as it was a retail license - not an OEM), although you might have to phone Microsoft to activate it.

MacGuiver
Feb 14th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks West Coast Boy,

Unfortunately I have an OEM version. UGH. I guess I'll have to shell out some more cash for another version of windows. I was thinking of getting xp home since its so cheap and I only want it for the kids to play the odd game. The next question would be, would xp home be OK on a first generation intel imac?

Rant (I never knew complicated until I used windows)

Cheers
MacGuiver

Apple101
Feb 14th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks West Coast Boy,

Unfortunately I have an OEM version. UGH. I guess I'll have to shell out some more cash for another version of windows. I was thinking of getting xp home since its so cheap and I only want it for the kids to play the odd game. The next question would be, would xp home be OK on a first generation intel imac?

Rant (I never knew complicated until I used windows)

Cheers
MacGuiver

I have seen on some discussion forums where people have purchased an OEM version of Windows for their PC and when they got a Mac they just simply installed XP on that system with the same product key. The person did have to call Microsoft. The user explained to the Microsoft representative that a new system was purchased and that he installed Windows XP on that system and is no longer using XP on the old system. After the explanation Microsoft provided the activation code to input in the activation wizard and voila!

MacGuiver
Feb 14th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I have seen on some discussion forums where people have purchased an OEM version of Windows for their PC and when they got a Mac they just simply installed XP on that system with the same product key. The person did have to call Microsoft. The user explained to the Microsoft representative that a new system was purchased and that he installed Windows XP on that system and is no longer using XP on the old system. After the explanation Microsoft provided the activation code to input in the activation wizard and voila!

Thanks Apple101

I might try that.

Cheers
MacGuiver

Apple101
Feb 14th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks Apple101

I might try that.

Cheers
MacGuiver

Hey no problemo! Let me know how it goes!

Fox
Feb 15th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I have gone about it another way; cloning a disk with a virtual HD on it, created by Parallels. When booting up from the other disk (an external), it works fine and doesn't set off any alarm bells. However, I have yet to try taking this external to another computer and trying it, but I suspect that it would work because the "registry" file would come with it. I suspect that I could even copy the virtual HD itself and have it work, but again, I haven't tried that.