: Finally buying a new imac this weekend, advice please,

smellybook
Feb 13th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Iv'e never bought a brand new mac before and I'm very excited, I'm leaning towards the 17" Imac 2.0 GHz core 2 duo for $1349, my question is should I spend the extra and get the 20"?

Where is the best place to buy? Is it better to buy at the Apple store?
Do they have refreshed core 2 duo's yet?

thnx

RunTheWorldOnMac
Feb 13th, 2007, 03:50 PM
A friend just bought the 20"...he is quite happy but is kicking himself at not upgrading the RAM. Standard config is 1G @ 2 x 512Mb sticks. If he wants to go to 2Gs then he has to go out and buy two 1G sticks of RAM.

Pelao
Feb 13th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Hi
What are the most common things you use your Mac for?

ChilBear
Feb 13th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I just bought a refreshed 24"iMac at the Apple store at the last sale. Wait till month end and call around. Sale is always the weekend closest to the 1st of the month, and starts Friday AM. I bought a 24". I have not noticed any issues withthe 1GB ram yet.
Go big to at least the 20".

Sander
Feb 13th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I would go for the 20" as well. If I am not mistaken, the 17" comes with 802.11G card and the 20" and above come with 802.11N card.

Edit: Spelling.

chuckster
Feb 13th, 2007, 04:36 PM
If money is a factor, and I'm assuming it is because you're looking at refurbished, why not go for the 17 inch and up the ram. Wait for a sale on another 17 inch monitor and plug it in. You get more screen real estate than the 20 inch and more ram. I've used two monitors for years and find it hard to work otherwise.

Pelao
Feb 13th, 2007, 04:54 PM
f money is a factor, and I'm assuming it is because you're looking at refurbished, why not go for the 17 inch and up the ram. Wait for a sale on another 17 inch monitor and plug it in. You get more screen real estate than the 20 inch and more ram. I've used two monitors for years and find it hard to work otherwise.

Yeah, that's sort of where I was headed. If you don't need the option of the more powerful video card options available on the larger iMacs, then the 17" with 2GB RAM and a nice second monitor can be a neat deal.

Overall though, I feel the 20" is the best value...and you can save up for the 2nd monitor :D

smellybook
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:17 PM
downloading prison break episodes that I missed. I think I'll go for the 20" since I'm stuck with the size of the monitor and i don't want to add a second monitor, I like the simplicity of the imac, I'm looking forward to having a clean desk finally.

thnx for the tip about the sale,

Vexel
Feb 13th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Keep in mind, there are 2 17" iMacs. One has a dedicated video card (read better for gaming/video performance) and one has Intel GMA video. Still decent, but doesn't compare to the dedicated card for performance. If this is a concern for you.. make sure you take note of which you're buying.

JCCanuck
Feb 13th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I was in the same spot you were and decided to go for the 20". The 24" was awesome but actually was too big in my little office space. So for $600 dollars less than the 24" I re-invested some of that money and got the wireless keyboard/mouse and upped memory to 2 GB. Can't go wrong with the 17" either. Another thing I would think about is how long do you want to keep the new iMac? I ask that because if you go cheaper it will be easier to get a new model say in two years that might blow away any recent models now. (one reason I didn't go for the mac pro).

Carl
Feb 13th, 2007, 11:55 PM
I started thinking about the 17", then ended up with the 24" and upgraded the Ram, HD and video card. I am always spending money upgrading something. This way, I really don't have to. I just looked at what I spend per year on little things and the price difference became smaller and smaller.

Plus, I haven't had a cigarette in almost a year, and there's the difference right there!

rondini
Feb 14th, 2007, 12:18 AM
We went with the 20 and upped the RAM to 2 Gig. Works great. A super machine.

Runs XP nicely as well, should you feel the need.

mcdermij
Feb 14th, 2007, 02:38 AM
My brother just got a new imac. The decision there was between the 24" and the 20". I told him to go for the 20" with 2gb of ram, wireless, and applecare. The 24" while amazing, isn't really that useful unless you're going to be using it as a main tv/movie watching unit. Most people with a real need for more desktop space opt for 2 monitors.