: Lombard

mclenaghan
Feb 11th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone is still running a lombard like myself? I had a bit of a scare on Friday night but it just needed a reset. I am running 10.3.9 with some ram and a new HD 40gig. Oh and a wireless card.

I just wanted to know if I was the only one still in the dark ages of last centuries technology.

Mark

HowEver
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Last century, but also last millenium.

I love old Macs. There are some clamshells here, a fantastic Pismo (admittedly, this millenium) and I'm going to turn my PowerBook 1400c (with active matrix screen!) into a digital picture frame, as it approaches its second decade on the planet.

jdurston
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I had a Lombard 3 or 4 years ago. It was my favorite Mac form factor, I wish I had kept it as a second laptop.

Max it out with RAM and put Tiger on it. Tiger gave me a decent speed boost on my B&W G3.

In my opinion the G3 was all the computer a lot people need, even these days. Keep that Lombard going for another couple of years.

Lichen Software
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:47 AM
...I'm going to turn my PowerBook 1400c (with active matrix screen!) into a digital picture frame, as it approaches its second decade on the planet.

I have a PB 1400 c with a 333 G3 accellerator, 30 gig hard drive, ORiNOCO wireless and 2 Gig CF card running OS 9.0.4. Needs a new battery to finish up ( would also like the 466 accellerator but will wait for that).

The only thing that I can't do on it is play streaming media ( YouTube, CBC Radio), and I am trying to find out why on that. I think it would be the height of vintage something or other to go to youtube and play Bob Ross painting videos on a vintage Mac. :-)

In spite of this limitation, the PB 1400 sits in the kitchen where it is handy and gets used at least 4 times a week. It is very functional.

The Lombard is heads and tails over this puppy. You can still get some mileage out of it. No, it probably will not remain your main computer, but that does not mean it is landfill.... and as you can see, other people are still using older equipment for eday to day functionality.

bmovie
Feb 11th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I was given a broken Lombard, which only needed a new processor. Which I bought off ebay for $40. Now I was told that the 400mzh Lombards have a problem with the processors, which is why I bought a 333mhz processor. Now it works like a dream. The only thing I have to get is a larger Hard drive. This 6G just isnt cutting it. I also use a belkin wireless card which is recognized as an airport card.
This is my first laptop and I'm loving it. This is perfect for surfing the web and checking e-mail.
that's my two cents

SINC
Feb 11th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I still have a bronze keyboard Lombard with an upgraded 40 G HD running Panther as a back up laptop. I bought it new in 1998 for $5,100.00 and change with a DVD drive.

Terry O'Leary
Feb 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I have a Wallstreet 300, Pismo 400, and ibook 700.
All have Tiger on them. I sometimes use the Wallstreet as a mail server.
The laptop battery is a built in UPS - although I think it only lasts for 20 minutes, that is still plenty of time for most power outtages. I have a UPS for my regular server (a Beige a 466Mhz. G3 in it running Darwin 8) and ADSL modem.

Cheers - Terry

mclenaghan
Feb 11th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Wow!

It sounds like my little computer is not alone.

I think the only thing I have trouble with is the streaming video, the audio seems to work well. I just have to wait for the Mac commercial on the television which is just as exciting.

I do hope to keep this computer for a few more years if I can. The battery I think gives about an hour of surfing and e-mailing. It also will sleep on the battery for a few hours to and from work.

Keep the G3s going.

richb
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I have a Lombard 333MHz running Panther which doesn't require as much overhead as Tiger and its great for surfing, email and tunes. With 320mb ram, DVD drive and a Linksys G wireless card, its still quite useful.
Great sturdy case too.

bmovie
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I have a Lombard 333MHz running Panther which doesn't require as much overhead as Tiger and its great for surfing, email and tunes. With 320mb ram, DVD drive and a Linksys G wireless card, its still quite useful.
Great sturdy case too.

I managed to load Tiger on my Lombard, should I go back to Panther?
I haven't really notice that much difference in performance. I have 384mb of ram.
The 6G HD is only a 4200rpm drive, would a 5400rpm drive speed things up for me?

mrjimmy
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I run 10.3.9 on a Pismo 400 with original 10gb drive and 380mb of RAM. Fabulous for Word, Excel and Safari. ;)

divirtual
Feb 13th, 2007, 03:37 PM
What's a reasonable cost to upgrade RAM on a Lombard?

I got a well-kept Lombard/333 off Craiglist for $200, with two 128MB RAM modules installed. (The battery is dead, but the machine works fine off AC). It's got OS/X 10.3.9 installed, which runs ... although a bit slowly.

I've read that 512MB RAM in a Lombard is technically feasible.

Looking at http://www.macworld.com/2003/01/features/upgrade/index.php , I could easily pull out 128MB RAM in the user-serviceable slot, and probably replace it cheaply with a 256MB module, making 384MB. I'm not afraid to pull out the 128MB module in the hidden slot, but it might not be so cheap to get the "low profile" RAM mentioned at http://forums.macnn.com/102/powerbook-archives/61655/lombard-ram/ .

Is it really worth spending the money on RAM, when the Lombard is a G3 machine? Some previous posters say that it's a really nice form factor, but will an upgrade from 384MB to 512MB really be a good economic investment with computer prices falling all of the time?

(I'm really waffling on the $50-$80USD prices I see for a Lombard battery on eBay, and passed up another eBay package that had a DVD drive).

mclenaghan
Feb 13th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Hi bmovie,

I upgraded my harddrive to a 40 Gb which was faster then the orignal I forget the speed but it DID make a difference for me.

As for RAM as far as I know it can be costly and you need to get the right module. I thought I had the correct type, but I did not and ended up having to take the machine in for its first and only service call which was when I upgrade the HD and boosted the ram. The more the marrier, especially if you are running anything from MicroSoft which seems to like lots of ram. Safari, Mail, and Appleworks 6 all seem to be quite happy with limited amounts of ram and OS 10.3.9.

I am not sure if going all the way to 512 would be worth it or not 192 seems to be fine unless you really want to watch streaming video, then maybe the extra ram might be good. I do play Diablo II expansion set (I know not the top end RPG but it keeps me happy) with the limited RAM.