: Great Shooters for a 1ghz powerbook?

sidman
Feb 7th, 2007, 10:53 PM
hello all,

Just looking for some recommendations from some gamers out there. I am looking for a FPS that plays well on my 1ghz powerbook. Halo played pretty well with the settings dialed down a bit, and I like Jedi Knight, Academy, Marathon.

Any other games people would recommend that don't require bleeding edge hardware?

thanks,

sidman

tedj
Feb 7th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Medal of Honour (original), Rainbow Six series, and especially Splinter Cell worked well on my 1ghz G4.

monokitty
Feb 7th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Medal of Honour (original), Rainbow Six series, and especially Splinter Cell worked well on my 1ghz G4.

Ditto! :) Halo is a good one, too.

richb
Feb 7th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I agree...Medal of Honour is an excellent game. James Bond 007 was pretty good but was working my PowerBook 1.25GHz pretty hard. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is good also. Red Faction has a neat physics engine.

CubaMark
Feb 8th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Don't forget Sauerbraten!

M

johnb1
Feb 8th, 2007, 01:41 AM
How about Aleph One? Plays the Marathon Trilogy and all of the addons, eg
marathon Red, Excalibur:Morgana's Revenge, and best of all, it's free--all of it !

just my 2 cents

JB

monokitty
Feb 8th, 2007, 02:47 AM
How about Aleph One? Plays the Marathon Trilogy and all of the addons, eg
marathon Red, Excalibur:Morgana's Revenge, and best of all, it's free--all of it !

just my 2 cents

JB

A classic which never dies. :) The Marathon series was killer, and addicting like crazy. The Alepha One conversion makes it even better. I forget now, and am too lazy to look it up - is Alepha One free (if you own Marathon), or does it cost money?

Vexel
Feb 8th, 2007, 05:44 AM
My all time fav is Quake 3. Runs like a dream on an iBook. :)

John Clay
Feb 8th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Another good one is Close Combat: First to Fight. Plays just fine on my iBook G4 (with settings turned down). Also, it's Universal. Decent plot, realistic action.

moonsocket
Feb 8th, 2007, 09:26 AM
My all time fav is Quake 3. :)

So fun.

madgunde
Feb 8th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I throw my vote in for the Raimbow Six series (although the third one might be a bit slow). Ghost Recon is also a great one which should run fine. Medal of Honor as well.

Dues Ex is another great game with a fantastic multi-path story line.

Bjornbro
Feb 8th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Let's not forget the "unofficial ehMac game", any of the Unreal Tournament series.

dona83
Feb 8th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Doom 3 ran on my previous iBook 1.2Ghz, at lowest settings but yea. Load times are a pain but graphics wise it was pretty smooth, try to load it on yours.

Strimkind
Feb 8th, 2007, 03:24 PM
There is Wolfenstein Enemy Territory for multiplayer...and the best thing is that it is free!

iLabmAn
Feb 8th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Yeah!

sidman
Feb 8th, 2007, 09:36 PM
thanks everyone - great suggestions!

Someone at work suggested Max Payne, which I've heard about (although he complained about the load times) so I'll check all of these out.

thanks again,

sidman

madgunde
Feb 8th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Max Payne was an excellent game. Go for it! It's not technically a first person shooter though, it's a 3rd person shooter, but don't hold that against it. ;)

ColBalt
Feb 9th, 2007, 10:06 AM
If your looking for something off the "accepted" track, check out Postal 2 (http://www.postal2.com/). Super Violent and disturbing but fun. ;) :lmao:

Bjornbro
Feb 9th, 2007, 11:37 AM
If your looking for something off the "accepted" track, check out Postal 2 (http://www.postal2.com/). Super Violent and disturbing but fun. ;) :lmao:
The demo is almost a game in itself, tons of things to discover. But, wicked indeed. beejacon

CubaMark
Feb 9th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Dues Ex is another great game with a fantastic multi-path story line.

Mmmm. Would love to see that available for the MacIntels...

M