: warranty

dannyrabbittang
Feb 7th, 2007, 09:14 AM
So I have my friend convinced that if he's going get a new laptop with Vista on board, than he should get a MacBook instead. However, before he buy's his first mac and makes his transition, he wants to know whether or not he'd void the warranty if he made some upgrades himself. He's says that since the basic MacBook only comes with 512MB of RAM and a 60GB hard drive, he doesn't think storage for his ever growing music collection, and I personally think he needs at least 1GB (preferably 2GB) of RAM to run parallels.

So in short, does making upgrades yourself void warranty?

John Clay
Feb 7th, 2007, 09:38 AM
The RAM and hard drive are considered User Installable Parts on the MacBook (not MacBook Pro), and if done properly will not void the warranty.

HowEver
Feb 7th, 2007, 09:39 AM
The RAM and hard drive happen to be the two exact things that Apple has made easily user-replaceable with the MacBook line. Upgrading either or both in no way voids your warranty.

Your friend might wish to hold on to the original RAM and drive though, just in case he ever needs to get the MacBook serviced or return it to Apple.

Edit: beat me to it, JC.

John Clay
Feb 7th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Should be noted that if you damage the MacBook during the installation, AppleCare will not cover the repair.

dwp
Feb 7th, 2007, 09:51 AM
The RAM and hard drive happen to be the two exact things that Apple has made easily user-replaceable with the MacBook line. Upgrading either or both in no way voids your warranty.

Your friend might wish to hold on to the original RAM and drive though, just in case he ever needs to get the MacBook serviced or return it to Apple.

Edit: beat me to it, JC.

This is not the information I got when I inquired at the Apple Store Sherway and Eaton Centre. Upgrading the hard drive yourself or at an authorized service centre will void the warranty.
Now they may have given me wrong information, but I'd double check just to be absolutely sure.

dannyrabbittang
Feb 7th, 2007, 10:02 AM
OK, so installing upgrades will not void the warranty, right? Nonetheless, I'll make sure he asks the sales representative the Apple Store before he makes his purchase.

As for damaging the MacBook while installing the upgrades. I'm pretty sure that won't be a problem, considering we both know our way around a computer, and I installed the upgrades to my MacBook myself. (It's actually quite odd to think of it now, considering I didn't really put the warranty into consideration when I decided to upgrade my MacBook myself).

John Clay
Feb 7th, 2007, 10:50 AM
This is not the information I got when I inquired at the Apple Store Sherway and Eaton Centre. Upgrading the hard drive yourself or at an authorized service centre will void the warranty.
Now they may have given me wrong information, but I'd double check just to be absolutely sure.

They haven't given you wrong information, per say, just not complete information. Upgrading the drive (properly) will in no way, shape or form void the machine's warranty. However, the only warranty covering the new drive would be the manufacturer - AppleCare will not cover it.