: How much more is a Mac compared to a PC

krs
Feb 6th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I often hear how much more a Mac costs than a similarly equipped PC, so I tried a quick price comparison of a MacBook I would buy, the $1449 one vs a similarly equipped Dell.

The Dell has a slightly larger screen, but no video camera, no DVI or even VGA output (which is a must for me - want to use this as a desktop with a 22-inch display), no Bluetooth and of course no iLife suite.
Mac does not have MS Works.

Price of the Dell is $1219.00

I'm sure people can shoot holes in this quick and dirty comparison.

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4946/delllaptopfs1.png

fyrefly
Feb 6th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Pretty similar specs. What's the weight on the Dell? All of the Dell's I've seen have been hefty. My buddy's 15" Dell is SO HEAVY.

Also, if it's purely a price-comparison, you could also add in that you can get a Refurb Core2Duo MacBook for $1249 - they go up on the website once in a while.

Pelao
Feb 6th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I suspect there is little or no difference now. The Mac is probably ready to start work/play, although more RAM is usually nice. The Dell won't have iLife as you note, which may or may not be important. You will have to add AV software to the Dell, bulking the price a bit, though free stuff is available.

OSX though, is priceless :D

Vexel
Feb 6th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Macbook has OS X, Gigabit Ethernet, Optical Audio In/Out, Magsafe Power Adapter, Frontrow, Firewire Port, 802.11N(with enabler), Lithium-Polymer Battery and I can almost guarantee the Macbook is smaller.

That was also quick. :)

krs
Feb 6th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Pretty similar specs. What's the weight on the Dell? All of the Dell's I've seen have been hefty. My buddy's 15" Dell is SO HEAVY.

Also, if it's purely a price-comparison, you could also add in that you can get a Refurb Core2Duo MacBook for $1249 - they go up on the website once in a while.

The weights are essentially the same - 5.2 pounds for the MacBook and starting at 5.3 pounds for the Dell.
The Dell is a bit bigger - logical because of the bigger screen (no minus points on that!), but the Dell is also almost 50% thicker - just over 1 inch for the MacBook and a bit over 1.5 inches for the Dell.

krs
Feb 6th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Macbook has OS X, Gigabit Ethernet, Optical Audio In/Out, Magsafe Power Adapter, Frontrow, Firewire Port, 802.11N(with enabler), Lithium-Polymer Battery and I can almost guarantee the Macbook is smaller.

That was also quick. :)

The Dell has a firewire port as well which sort of surprised me; it also has 4 USB ports, the Mac only two which I don't think is enough. USB ports are cheap - I don't know why Apple skimps on those.

Heart
Feb 6th, 2007, 07:35 PM
The Dell has a firewire port as well which sort of surprised me;

6 pin (like on Mac) or one of those small 4 pin (like on Camcorders / portable HD's)?

A 6 pin carries power.....

SoyMac
Feb 6th, 2007, 08:14 PM
The Mac can run Windows, OS X, and Linux.
The Dell can run Windows (intermittently) and Linux.

What's the dollar value of that difference?

krs
Feb 6th, 2007, 08:37 PM
6 pin (like on Mac) or one of those small 4 pin (like on Camcorders / portable HD's)?

A 6 pin carries power.....

It's a 4-pin firewire port, but I guess you already knew that.

DoNotPokeTheScreen
Feb 6th, 2007, 08:52 PM
The 200 dollar difference, of course, has no effect on Mac-users. We'll hop for the MacBook over the Dell in a heart beat. To a Windows-user, who has never experienced the pleasure in using OSX, the 200 dollar price difference means that he is not going to consider trying the Mac...
Everyone on ehmac can tell you how great OSX/Macintosh is... but to people that have been enduring Windows and don't know any better... they just don't care.

macmac
Feb 6th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Well i'm tired of having mac users stressing the fact that macs aren't more expensive..the fact is..THEY ARE. Get over it people..macs are more expensive than win. machines...it's a fact, it's a fact, it's a fact. I have two colleagues who picked up Toshiba's from future shop on sale last month for UNDER $1000 range... there are a plethora of laptops that are cheaper and for the most part fairly functional as a mac. Everyone keeps compaing to DELL, a reputable company with fairly higher prices..but there are a lot more companies out there who produce laptops that are CHEAPER. But, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Having said that, my PB will be going into the shop for a 3rd visit next week.

We have sleak, sexy, lightweight machines, super fast, with great service(for the most part) and a superior OS. THAT is what you pay for...you won't get that on a pc, you'll get something comperable...but it won't be OSX. MACS ARE MORE EXPENSIVE....accept it!!!! AND if you refuse to accept it, walk over to bestbuy or future shop and look at the prices of laptops...unless you can't read #'s you'll note there are a good chunk of laptops that are less expensive than MACS...not all, but a fair bit.

krs
Feb 6th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Man - You're getting pretty worked up about this.

Did you even read the title of this thread? How much more is a Mac..........

I always hear PC guys telling me Macs are two and three times as much as PC's......I was trying to verify if that was actually was true if one compares similar machines.

Mississauga
Feb 6th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Spec for spec, Macs are now competitive with the rest. PERIOD.

It's a fact, it's a fact, it's a fact!

RunTheWorldOnMac
Feb 6th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Perhaps short term they are more expensive but they last much longer. I would rather shell out $2000 in one shot as opposed to $3000 over a 4 or 5 year period.

Cheers,

Scott

Demosthenes X
Feb 6th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Well i'm tired of having mac users stressing the fact that macs aren't more expensive..the fact is..THEY ARE. Get over it people..macs are more expensive than win. machines...it's a fact, it's a fact, it's a fact. I have two colleagues who picked up Toshiba's from future shop on sale last month for UNDER $1000 range... there are a plethora of laptops that are cheaper and for the most part fairly functional as a mac. Everyone keeps compaing to DELL, a reputable company with fairly higher prices..but there are a lot more companies out there who produce laptops that are CHEAPER. But, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Having said that, my PB will be going into the shop for a 3rd visit next week.

We have sleak, sexy, lightweight machines, super fast, with great service(for the most part) and a superior OS. THAT is what you pay for...you won't get that on a pc, you'll get something comperable...but it won't be OSX. MACS ARE MORE EXPENSIVE....accept it!!!! AND if you refuse to accept it, walk over to bestbuy or future shop and look at the prices of laptops...unless you can't read #'s you'll note there are a good chunk of laptops that are less expensive than MACS...not all, but a fair bit.

This is like going to two car lots and saying, well, the Kia was a lot cheaper. Why should I pay more for this Mercedes?

The simple "fact" of the matter is, the Mercedes is a better car. Just like the Mac is a better computer.

Yes, you can go out and buy a laptop for $800 these days. Yes, it will perform adequetly (assuming you don't try to run Vista... :D). But, as has been pointed out, for a similarly equipped machine, the prices are very close.

Back to my analogy: the Kia is a lot cheaper than the Mercedes for a number of reasons. First and foremost, it doesn't have the same features. Built in iSight with mic, built in Bluetooth, Wireless conectivity... all of these are taken for granted on the cheapest MacBook. On a PC, you're scrambling making sure all are included. If you don't use them, fine, but how many people actually use the eight different suspension settings available on their Mercedes, either? Fact is, they're there, you're paying for them.

The Mac is also, by and large, a much nicer machine than most cheap laptops. Better looking, better designed. They're also more fun to "drive": OSX is far superior to any iteration of Windows.

Finally: I challenge you to find an $800 with comparable components to an Apple. They're able to sell them cheap because they scrape the bottom of the barrel when buying components... like the Samsung harddrive that failed after <2 years in my HP desktop. Apple uses quality components, and those cost money.

Macs are not significantly more expensive if you compare Apples to, er, apples (so to speak). :D

macmac
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:21 AM
I'm not bashing our machines. Despite my problems with my 17" PB, I love my mac. We do have top of the line machines, with an operating system 2nd to none. My biggest question for myself is why I took so long to switch to a MAC. I can't recall the number of blue screens, and crashes that cost me in the past. As of late I have been engulfed in Keynote and Pages and they are great programs. As I discover new mac apps, the only thing I can say is that I am thoroughly impressed. We aren't driving Mercedes, we are driving Ferrari's...lol. Having said that though, we pay a premium...not just for the software, but the hardware and the apple customer care. Macs are expensive, and a lot of people can't afford them. It's a shame. I wish macs were less expensive and available in schools and more businesses. Not all school boards carry macs, especially here in Canada. The Norm here are win PC's. Schools are the best way to bring people into the mac world, as students essentially become 'hooked' on macs as they use the best personal computers in the world.

For some people even an extra $100 is to much. As for short and long term expenses, people can't always afford short term costs in order to save in the long run.

I love my mac, and because I love it, I pay a premium for it. I pay a premium for it, because I can.

:)

zen.state
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:37 AM

you're an idiot!

capitalK
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Just to expand on what a few people have said...

Are Macs more expensive? Yes. Simply because they do not offer a low end computer with a low end processor. Apple could easily make a MacBook with a Centrino processor but they don't. One of the benefits of selling both the hardware and software is that you control the quality of parts that go into your product. I don't think I've often heard anyone say they bought a new Mac and it was dead-slow out of the box. I can't say the same about people I know (mainly family members) who purchased a $500 computer and then complained how crippled it was.

Are they more expensive if you compare the same class of computer, with similar processors and features? Often not by very much, in fact sometimes the Mac comes out cheaper.

krs
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:58 AM
I decided to configure a rock bottom price Dell, but it looks as if Dell won't let me:(

Maybe it's a loss leader???

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/5348/dellbasichf5.png

iMatt
Feb 7th, 2007, 01:27 AM
you're an idiot!

That's uncalled for, IMO.

The problem with this debate (and it's not at all unique to this thread) is that people on each side of it tend to start from different assumptions.

On the one hand, you have an argument that goes "spec for spec, a Mac costs the same or even less than most competing brands. Therefore, the Mac is not more expensive." (This is my perspective.)

On the other hand, you have an argument that goes "but I can get a fully functional, fully equipped PC for less than the price of the cheapest Mac, and that Mac doesn't even have a monitor, keyboard or mouse. Therefore, Macs are more expensive."

Both are right, within their own frames of reference. It is more expensive to enter the low end of the Mac world than the PC world. But once you are prepared to spend the money it takes to get a Mac, it is not more expensive than buying an equivalent PC.

Bjornbro
Feb 7th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Both are right, within their own frames of reference. It is more expensive to enter the low end of the Mac world than the PC world. But once you are prepared to spend the money it takes to get a Mac, it is not more expensive than buying an equivalent PC.
I don't believe anyone will be able to offer a rebuttal to your statement. Way to kill a thread there, iMatt. ;)

(Edit: Grammer)

MACSPECTRUM
Feb 7th, 2007, 08:10 AM
for technical support people like myself the ability to have xp and os x on ONE box is almost priceless

you should see the looks on my clients' faces when i boot my blackbook into xp

and that's windows and mac clients
"coooolllll" is the usual response

i just can't think of a better solution
now if i only found a way to boot PPC machines using my blackbook, i'd be even more ecstatic

macmac
Feb 7th, 2007, 08:13 AM
LOL....iMatt, I concur wholeheartedly!