: Help from .MACers

RunTheWorldOnMac
Feb 6th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I am debating on going .Mac; I hate that I have a hotmail account...I needed it to sign up for the Developer conferences when I was using Vb / .Net... moving along.

I am pretty sure I can use my .Mac account to run Adium correct? But, this only allows me to chat with thos eon .Mac and not MSN where most of my contacts are?

As I also want to be able to promote my dj'ing online including mp3 downloadable mixes; is this possible? Is this essentially the less fancy term for a podcast? Someone downloads a set and listens to it in iTunes?

I just bought a MacBook so I believe there is a nice discount that comes with it and was thinking of taking advantage of it.

I know there are 60-day trials but would like to get things rolling a little quicker so I can link an account to MySpace...There is always GMail as well, it ain't going anywhere...

Anyone go to .Mac only to leave?

Cheers,

Scott

John Clay
Feb 6th, 2007, 06:10 PM
The 60 day trials are fully functional, and if you decide to purchase once the 60 days are up, all settings and files are kept. Also, you can only use your .Mac ID with AIM and .Mac users. Adium can use .Mac, however.

As for me - I wouldn't use .Mac if I didn't get it for free.

Bjornbro
Feb 6th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Anyone go to .Mac only to leave?
No, I have not left and I'm never leaving and I've been using it since it was iTools. Like anything else if you see the value, you'll buy, if not, you won't.

Rampant AV
Feb 6th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I use .Mac all the time. I especially love the ability to publish calendars.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Feb 6th, 2007, 08:42 PM
... an insight just occured to me; proably due to a slowed synapse in my brain...registering a website and hosting package could potentially cost the same as .Mac....

That leaves one big question; can I ftp large music files to the server and link them on a page I build so people can download them?

Cheers,

Scott

zoziw
Feb 6th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I let mine expire on Jan 30, I just wasn't using it.

Demosthenes X
Feb 6th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Yes...

Hell, you can install a Gmail hack (like GDrive), turn that 2.8GB into web space, and use Googlepages to build and host your site. All for free. Add $15 for a domain name registration and you're done.

dona83
Feb 6th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I like .Mac.