: Quicktime Broadcaster?

fyrefly
Feb 6th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone here has used Quicktime Broadcaster (QTB) extensively for anything? I've used it for some knowledge capture before, but I've recently discovered (now that I have a Video iPod) that the videos QTB creates (even though they are h264 and AAC audio) are incompatible with the Video iPod.

Am I doing something wrong? I tried to look on Apple.com/support/quicktime for something about this, but I can't find anything. Why would Apple release great free software like Quicktime Broadcaster to create web videos, but not make it compatible with iPod Video? :P

EDIT: Just tried doing an H264 video recording with Quicktime Pro as well -- and it will not sync to the iPod either. iTunes says the iPod cannot play that video either. What gives?

ShawnKing
Feb 6th, 2007, 01:51 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone here has used Quicktime Broadcaster (QTB) extensively for anything?
We've been using it since the day it came out for our show.
I've used it for some knowledge capture before, but I've recently discovered (now that I have a Video iPod) that the videos QTB creates (even though they are h264 and AAC audio) are incompatible with the Video iPod.
Why are you creating video using QTB? Are they videos you create yourself with QTB that you then want to put on your iPod?

There are other tools out there that will perhaps take QTB created videos and turn them into iPod ready stuff. I've used some of these tools (http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.php?PHPSESSID=5d90fbe312fca9e28d5b64c40d179 6fe&mode=basic&action=search&str=video+to+ipod&srchArea=mac%7Cosx&x=0&y=0).
Why would Apple release great free software like Quicktime Broadcaster to create web videos, but not make it compatible with iPod Video? :P
Apple often develops tools like QTB and then just ignores them. QTB hasn't been updated in *years*.

bryanc
Feb 6th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Reminds me of QTVR.

I really hope that Apple starts tidying up some of the loose ends it's leaving behind. At the very least, Apple should OpenSource this stuff, so that people who use it can maintain it themselves (or hire developers to do so, if necessary). OpenSourcing it would also be a huge win for Apple in the PR department.

Maybe some of us should suggest this?

cheers

fyrefly
Feb 6th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Why are you creating video using QTB? Are they videos you create yourself with QTB that you then want to put on your iPod?

There are other tools out there that will perhaps take QTB created videos and turn them into iPod ready stuff.

I'm looking for more of an all-in-one. If I'm digitizing it and sucking up processor power to record in Quicktime or QTBroadcaster in H264 then why isn't is iPod Video Compatible?

If I wanted to record in and then encode, I'd just record into FCP and then Encode with VisualHub/iSquint and get MUCH better quality.

I'm also looking to create this as sort of a tutorial for fellow Faculty at the college where I work so that they can bring a cart with a laptop and a video camera into their lectures and press one button to record basically.

Apple often develops tools like QTB and then just ignores them. QTB hasn't been updated in *years*.

Yah. Just weird and frustrating that they udated QTB to be a Universal Binary, but wouldnt put in iPod Video functionality. I'd send some feedback to Apple, but I doubt they'll a) Listen, and b) Care. ;)

At the very least, Apple should OpenSource this stuff, so that people who use it can maintain it themselves (or hire developers to do so, if necessary). OpenSourcing it would also be a huge win for Apple in the PR department.

Sounds like a great idea... but I still don't think that Apple would listen. Maybe I'm just being defeatist/cynical tho.

It's interesting how Macs are generally considered/advertised as better at multimedia stuff, but Windows Media Server is a million times more customizeable and useable than Quicktime Broadcaster (but Quicktime Broadcaster is Free I guess). (Also... I'll put an IMHO in here -- lest I flamebait myself by saying something Windows is better ;) )

ShawnKing
Feb 6th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I'm looking for more of an all-in-one. If I'm digitizing it and sucking up processor power to record in Quicktime or QTBroadcaster in H264 then why isn't is iPod Video Compatible?
Cause QTB was "invented" before the iPOd video and Apple hasn't bothered to update it.
If I wanted to record in and then encode, I'd just record into FCP and then Encode with VisualHub/iSquint and get MUCH better quality.
OK...don't take this the wrong way.....but...why use QTB at all then? It's the wrong tool for your needs.
I'd send some feedback to Apple, but I doubt they'll a) Listen, and b) Care. ;)
They won't and they don't. believe me, the QT community has been yelling at Apple about WTB for *years*. Hasn't done a damn bit of good.

fyrefly
Feb 7th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Cause QTB was "invented" before the iPOd video and Apple hasn't bothered to update it.

Yeah, but they took the time to update it to a UB -- why not add iPod support (though I suppose a recompile for UB was easier than adding a feature.)

OK...don't take this the wrong way.....but...why use QTB at all then? It's the wrong tool for your needs.

I only started to use QTB 'cause I thought it would be an all in one. But now I see that it isn't and apparently there isn't any other all in one software device (there's several Hardware solutions) to do what I want. :(

Oh well. It was worth the asking at least ;)