: Printer Shopping advice needed!!!

macmac
Feb 5th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Hi folks, I would like to get a printer and here are my needs, i'm hoping someone here can suggest something.

Here are my needs.

A) Colour
B) Scanner
C) Copier

and D)

I need a machine that can scan and copy paper in the 8.5 x 14" range. All of the printers i've seen only do 8.5x11.

And of couse mac compatible. I have a Cannon that does all of the above, but is Win only.

Thanks people!!!

P.S...one more thing... is Pages an equiavelent to MSWORD? I've been fiddling with pages lately and I find it lacks some functionality, but it just might be my lack of experience with it.

THANK YOU in advance

mr.steevo
Feb 5th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Hi,

Have you tried the Gimp for a driver for your existing Canon printer? Last year I setup an old printer for a friend of mine that was made before OS X. The Gimp driver worked fine (too bad the printer died about 8 months later.)

s.

macmac
Feb 5th, 2007, 11:02 PM
What is GIMP? I've never heard of it. How do I use it? Where do I get it?

Demosthenes X
Feb 5th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Google is your friend... :)

GIMP is a freeware photo-editing tool akin to Photoshop. While obviously not quite as powerful, it does a lot of moderately advanced functions... certainly everything anyone who has the ask the question "do I NEED Photoshop" will need.

macmac
Feb 5th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Okay...i'm a little perplexed..what does photoshop and image re-touching have to do with allowing my Cannon to function on my mac? I'm on the website now, and I don't see anything connecting GIMP with canon drivers.

macmac
Feb 5th, 2007, 11:19 PM
LOL...so much for the slogan, "It just works"...LOL

rondini
Feb 5th, 2007, 11:32 PM
have you actually plugged the printer into your mac?
Or checked Canon product support for whatever Mac software might be needed?
Canon is usually very good with Mac compatibility

mr.steevo
Feb 5th, 2007, 11:34 PM
What is GIMP? I've never heard of it. How do I use it? Where do I get it?

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

s.

MACSPECTRUM
Feb 5th, 2007, 11:37 PM
check this out

http://brother.ca/en/all-in-one/description.asp?Prodid=310453708746686283&features=on

MFC-9420CN

This flatbed, network-ready colour laser Multi-Function Center provides excellent support for your business with powerful, user friendly characteristics, in stand alone or on your network. The MFC-9420CN features fast, reliable high quality colour laser printing, colour scanning, copying and faxing, a compact design and easy to change consumables. Security features also included.

CDN $ 999.99

LASER colour copier, printer, fax, scanner and networkable
for less than $1,000

i bought the monochrome cousin of this and am thoroughly impressed by its support for mac and windows on a network

if you don't want/need laser quality, Brother has a whole line of ink jet versions, but at that price, it's hard to turn down laser quality

PDF brochure for MFC-9420CN (http://brother.ca/en/products/pdf/brochures/MFC9420CN.pdf)

macmac
Feb 5th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Rondini, if I didn't know I have to plug my printer into my mac, than I don't deserve to even own a computer. Canon does not support the Multipass F60, I'm trying to use this GIMP device now, but for some reason the printer set-up tool is not allowing me to select a printer. When I click on more printers, and then printer browsing, a short list of a few printers show up, 3 epsons, 1 canon, 1 hp and 1 lexmark... but there is no other option allowing me to scroll through a list of printers to select one. Not to sure why, as i've done it before. Above the shor list, i have appletalk, bluetooth and windows printing. I have 'windows printing' selected. This is frustrating to say the least.

Macspectrum, thanks for the suggestion, but $900 is roughly $700 to much.

macmac
Feb 6th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I just looked at what GIMP provides..they do not support drivers are for the Canon Multi-pass F60

MACSPECTRUM
Feb 6th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Rondini, if I didn't know I have to plug my printer into my mac, than I don't deserve to even own a computer. Canon does not support the Multipass F60, I'm trying to use this GIMP device now, but for some reason the printer set-up tool is not allowing me to select a printer. When I click on more printers, and then printer browsing, a short list of a few printers show up, 3 epsons, 1 canon, 1 hp and 1 lexmark... but there is no other option allowing me to scroll through a list of printers to select one. Not to sure why, as i've done it before. Above the shor list, i have appletalk, bluetooth and windows printing. I have 'windows printing' selected. This is frustrating to say the least.

Macspectrum, thanks for the suggestion, but $900 is roughly $700 to much.

check out the Brother MFC inkjets
i know i keep pushing brother MFCs but i found their cross platform support to be very good and prices well below HP equivalents

macmac
Feb 6th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the suggestion MACSPECTRUM,

I just found a Brother MFC-240C All-In-One Printer With Fax on sale at Bestbuy for $79.00 I don't really need the fax, but no loss either. Most importantly it scans 8.5x14" and that is what I want. Gonna drop by Bestbuy tomorrow to check it out.

Oakbridge
Feb 6th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the suggestion MACSPECTRUM,

I just found a Brother MFC-240C All-In-One Printer With Fax on sale at Bestbuy for $79.00 I don't really need the fax, but no loss either. Most importantly it scans 8.5x14" and that is what I want. Gonna drop by Bestbuy tomorrow to check it out.
There are reasons why ink-jet printers are as cheap as they are.

First of all the life of most ink-jet printers is approximately 2-3 years. Yes you can get more and that is a bonus. But to expect much more than that is not wise.

Second, and the main reason is the cost per page of the devices. It is next to impossible to calculate the cost per page of most ink-jet printers, most of them simply do not publish their output for each cartridge. Most laser printers will publish the expected life for their cartridges based on 5% coverage. 5% is equivalent to a double-spaced business letter.

One other consideration is that because that ink, can dry up and cause the cartridges to fail, you'll end up having to replace them even if you don't use all of the ink in them. Most ink-jet printers will not operate unless all of the cartridges are in place and pass the printer's checks. Even if you are only printing in B&W. Laser uses toner which is powder. It will not dry up.

I own an HP 2605dn colour laser printer. There is a new version of this same printer which is multifunction. Price ranges in the $540-600 range depending on who has it on sale.

Before you freak out at the price, I will point out that this comes with all 4 full sized cartridges (black, cyan, magenta, yellow). I did a run of brochures on my printer back in September, printing 1200 pages. This run used only 25% of each cartridge (2 colour screen shots and black text on each page). Based on this, the printer is estimating 5800 pages before all 4 cartridges will need replacing. Cost to replace: $370 for all 4. Doing the math and my cost per page is: 6.38 CENTS per page. I doubt I will be changing cartridges before the end of this year and possibly not before the summer of 2008 which will mean 2 years with the same set of cartridges.

If, and that is a big huge IF, the Brother ink-jet could do these same brochures and get 500 pages per set of cartridges, then I would have purchased 11 sets of cartridges to get the same 5800 pages (starter cartridges ship with the printer). At a cost of $75 for a black cartridge and a set of 3 colour cartridges, that is a cost of $825.

Compared to not having spent a dime on the laser cartridges yet! Add the price of new laser cartridges, and you are now pretty close to equal:

- original price of HP Colour Multi-function: $575 (current price)
- set of 4 replacement cartridges: $370
- Total for HP Colour Laser: $945

- original price of Brother Ink-Jet multifunction: $80
- price for 11 sets of ink: $825
- Total cost for Brother: $905

but the Brother is now out of ink, and the HP is ready to do 5800 more pages!

Only problem for your purposes: no document feeder (which does 8 1/2 x 14) on the HP Colour Laser. So you look at the Samsung at $699 or the bigger HP at $999, both of which have document feeders. Most document feeders will allow you to scan/copy an 8 1/2 x 14 page. You'll probably have to redo the math but the costs will be anywhere from 1/2 to 1/3 of the price of ink-jet.

If you don't need colour, you can drop down to a multi-function B & W laser.

My point is that the initial cost of the printer is NOT your total cost of ownership over the life of the printer, not even close!

Mississauga
Feb 6th, 2007, 10:04 AM
All in ones = bad.
Separate devices = good.

Grazer5
Feb 6th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I'm surprised that Canon doesn't have a driver available. I bought a used scanner over a year ago and I'm able to use it with my Mac. The features aren't all available and it took a while to figure out how to get it to run, specify a file etc., but it works. It's a 5000F scanner, which I think is about 4 yrs old

rgray
Feb 6th, 2007, 10:10 AM
check out the Brother MFC inkjets
i know i keep pushing brother MFCs but i found their cross platform support to be very good and prices well below HP equivalents
I have a Brother MFC420CN which works pretty well. However, as far as I can tell the Brother software is NOT Universal. Can someone tell me different? adn point me to it? A really annoying aspect of the Brother driver (which hasn't been upgraded in a while) is that I cannot find on the Brother site a complete package. Updates - such as they have been - are issued as patches. That said the unit just works.

ShadeofIndigo
Feb 6th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I've never had any problem with Epson Printers. I would advise against certain models of Lexmark Printers as I have had problems with the printer driver for the X83 on both mac and pc. Also if your looking for a lazer, don't buy some Samsung as they are not mac compatible (Samsung's SCX-4100 in particular). I would suggest going into stores to test out printers instead of buying online.

Oakbridge
Feb 6th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I've never had any problem with Epson Printers. I would advise against certain models of Lexmark Printers as I have had problems with the printer driver for the X83 on both mac and pc. Also if your looking for a lazer, don't buy some Samsung as they are not mac compatible (Samsung's SCX-4100 in particular). I would suggest going into stores to test out printers instead of buying online.
If you search through other threads on ehmac, you'll find that people have been able to find Mac drivers. Typically not on the Canadian Samsung site but on the US and Australian sites.

HowEver
Feb 6th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Will it be possible to hook up an ethernet routed printer to the new Airport Extreme routers?

I know that there is the USB printer-port, and I use an Airport Express for this purpose, but I also have an old Apple Personal Laserwriter NTR that I got to work using an ethernet-to-serial adapter/box. The cartridges for this printer are rated for about 5000 pages, and even though the cartridge sells for more than most inkjet printers, it makes for beautiful black and white copies. I'm on my second cartridge and I bought the machine when it was new!

TIA.