: Browser War: Fuel to the Fire

adb_ii
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
ok i used strictly safari when i switched back in the 10.0 days. once i became more savvy i used camino. then safari got rss feeds. so back to safari i went. all this time firefox was available, but sucked for mac...too slow to open, ugly, bulky. but with firefox 2, most of that was resolved...tried to switch, but even with the available themes, the aesthetics still got to me.

yesterday i downloaded and registered omniweb, just to check it out. wow. just wow. it's like everything good from every browser built into one. i say try it at least. i know the price tag is rather heavy for some.

i've officially switched it to my default browser. i used firefox as a backup (because my girlfriend is familiar with the icon) and so she can use it too.

with rss feeds, saved workspaces, ad-blocking, a beautiful interface, insanely fast rendering, etc etc it's totally worth checking out.

only thing that might get me to switch again is if shiira 2 ends up reaching its full potential.

any thoughts on omniweb, shiira or other browsers?

Bjornbro
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:42 PM
ok i used strictly safari when i switched back in the 10.0 days.
I'm a terrible nit-picker. :-( You couldn't have used Safari back in the "Cheetah" days, because Safari was not released (http://news.com.com/2100-1040-979461.html) until OS X 10.2 "Jaguar".
Speaking at the Macworld Expo in San Francisco, Jobs demonstrated an Apple-developed browser called Safari that he claimed is the fastest available. It's "three times faster than (Internet Explorer) on the Mac."

On topic, FireFox is my back up browser too, but I don't use it very much. I find Safari handles everything I need a browser to do.

jhollington
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
I've pretty much standardized on Safari with FireFox as my backup browser for those few rare things that Safari can't handle.

I really did like OmniWeb, and still have it on my system, but I found it to be a bit more bloated then I wanted, and I like Safari's integration with things like .Mac bookmarks (which I use quite often). Omniweb is still a great browser for the more power-user level of browsing, however, but I really like Safari for it's lean & mean overall performance.

adb_ii
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:06 PM
I'm a terrible nit-picker. :-( You couldn't have used Safari back in the "Cheetah" days, because Safari was not released (http://news.com.com/2100-1040-979461.html) until OS X 10.2 "Jaguar".

On topic, FireFox is my back up browser too, but I don't use it very much. I find Safari handles everything I need a browser to do.

lol sorry. ya i forgot my first g4 imac came bundled with ie...which i still have on my macbook for some sites if i don't want to wait for parallels and xp to load. you're right though...oversight :)

eMacMan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:02 PM
any thoughts on omniweb, shiira or other browsers?At the moment my rbowsing abilities are limited. The library using WXP-Exploder7:mad:

My at home option is an iMacG3-400 running 10.3.8. I am using a dial-up connection. No need to change as I will be moving in the near future, rejoining my eMac and getting cable. Bad news is the ISP provider has had some modem issues at their end and the only modem script that will connect is the Apple Internal v34 (28800kbps duplex). The only browser that is will work with this mess is Camino and it actually works well if a bit sluggish. No Pop-ups, no adds and the caching scheme means it loads web pages much faster than Safari. FireFox is a total bust, have not tried Omni and won't until things settle down.