: So I need desperate fast help... This is the first time I think I've officially asked

20DDan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:48 PM
K well here is my dilemma. Tomorrow I am going to pick up my new 120GB HD that I plan on putting into my Pismo, reason being is that I currently have 650mb of harddrive space left out of 30GB. and thats not even holding 1/2 of my files. I have many photos RAW photos that is. It gets complicated here. I have OS 9 installed on a small partition 5GB so that I can run classic programs and I need to kep OS 9. I also have my main OS X on a 20GB partiton. I have a 250GB FireWire HD on which I've used around 100GB to store files, files that I CANNOT delete.

I dont know how to save my OS 9, OS X partitions separately so that when I get the new HD I can restore them each onto separate partitions onto the new HD.

I've read previous threads that said. Dont use third party software. I have superduper (purchased copy) that I could use. The advice I saw was to use disk utility and log into the OS X Tiger install DVD and select Disk utility and create disc images of both OS 9 and OS X partitions onto my external HD. BUT... is there away to put those directly as partitions to not have to reinstall OS X???? Im really confused now as to what to do. Please help fellow Mac users

CanadaRAM
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:55 PM
Pick up a 2.5" Firewire enclosure along with the drive. Put drive in it, partition the 120 as you wish
Use SuperDuper or Carboncopycloner to clone your 30 Gb's partitions onto the new partitions.
Take 120 out of case, take 30 out of Pismo, put 120 in Pismo, put 30 into case. Done.

Rob
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:10 PM
Costco has been selling 120 gig Western Digital 2.5" external USB2 Go drives for $119.xx. These are 5,400 rpm drives. I think that's a pretty reasonable price for just an internal drive, so the external case is essentially free.

I bought one to replace the drive in my PC laptop. The case opens up relatively easily by prying. I put the 120 gig in the laptop and the original laptop drive in the external case so I could transfer all the files back.

The only real downside is that transfer will be slow since the Pismo only has USB1.

I would partition the 120 gig drive while it is still in the external case and copy all your data from the Pismo to the external before you make the swap. That way you'll at least have a backup before you start taking anything apart. It reduces the risk a bit if something goes wrong.

gordguide
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:47 AM
Just go to any generic PC builder store, pick up any USB 2.0 external enclosure (for a 2.5" drive). A regular el-cheapo bus powered one is fine; I paid $ 16 for one, but I bought it from Hong Kong and it's SATA. It works perfectly. If you are shopping in Canada, expect to pay twice that.

Since both drives will be Parallel-ATA (not the newer SATA) that's the only thing you have to watch for.

Pop your old drive in there, install your new drive in your Powerbook. Copy at your leisure with the tools that you find work well, confident in the knowledge that all your data is safe on the old drive.

You can then keep the old one as a backup drive/whatever, or sell it in the external case; you should be able to recover the cost of the external enclosure and end up getting a better price for the drive than what you would have for the drive alone.

Be sure to check Low End Mac or xlr8yourMac sites for Pismo drive compatibility; the Pismo internal controller doesn't work well with ATA-6 drives. Be sure your replacement is ATA-5 compliant or else if it's ATA-7 or ATA-8 compliant, check to make sure it's a model known to work in a Pismo.

gordguide
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:50 AM
Edit: double post: text removed.

zen.state
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:20 AM
Costco has been selling 120 gig Western Digital 2.5" external USB2 Go drives for $119.xx. These are 5,400 rpm drives. I think that's a pretty reasonable price for just an internal drive, so the external case is essentially free.

you can buy 120GB HD's for 65. 119 for a 120 these days is a total rip off even with an external case..

csonni
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:06 AM
I don't know why everyone always recommends USB 2 drive enclosures when he's got firewire ports. I've tried USB 2 and it is dreadfully slow compared to Firewire 400.

guytoronto
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:19 AM
1) Backup everything.
2) Carry your machine into a Mac dealer, and ask them to make the transition for you.

Done!

Carl
Feb 4th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Get a Firewire drive because the Pismo has USB 1.1 and if you use a USB drive you will be copying for about a week.
Use Carbon Copy Cloner. Clone the drive. Switch the drive.

milhaus
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:37 AM
you can buy 120GB HD's for 65. 119 for a 120 these days is a total rip off even with an external case..
Well, find me a 120gb 5400rpm 2.5 drive for $65 and I'm there. Or did you not get that part of it?

Lawrence
Feb 4th, 2007, 11:37 AM

A statement like that needs to be followed with a link.

Where can I buy a 120 gb 2.5" drive for $65.

Dave

zen.state
Feb 4th, 2007, 01:36 PM
A statement like that needs to be followed with a link.

Where can I buy a 120 gb 2.5" drive for $65.

Dave

I thought he was talking about a 3.5"

my bad..

ahmic
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Please buy a firewire external hard drive! As indicated above, a USB connection, especially 1.1, takes forever to transfer files.
Re your OS9 software... make a folder on the hard drive containing your OS9 and give it a titled like "OS9-Feb07" (or whatever) and then drag all of your system 9 folders and files into this folder. Then you can make a copy of this "OS9-Feb07" Folder on a CD/DVD as a backup. You can also then drag and drop this folder to any internal or external partition and OSX will recognize it. This is what I do.
In my experience, CarbonCopy Cloner is fine for 10.3 or earlier but I now use SuperDuper with 10.4 which works beautifully. Both are free or donate.

20DDan
Feb 5th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Well I finally did it... took me a looong time to figure it out. I luckily looked at all your input before starting but didnt have time to shop for the FireWire enclosure (it's on my shopping list now). Thanks CanadaRam for the great advice!

Here's what I did ... after attempting to transfer many different ways I happened to stumble across a menu on Disk Utility. So I hooked up my old 30GB HD through USB1.1 (was irritably slow but worked) and dragged my OS 9 and OS 10 HD's onto the "Source" location and created 2 new partitions on my new 120GB HD and dragged those to the "Destination" part and clicked RESTORE... then voala... about 10hrs later I had everything PERFECTLY like I left it on the tiny HD. I cant believe I didnt have to use SuperDuper or other software... from now on Im going to keep an Image backup of my HD's on my 250GB external drive just incase for easy restore. Thank you all again. :D