: 17" Apple STudio LCD wiith ADC in Sawtooth?

Macfury
Jan 26th, 2007, 12:57 AM
I have a 500 Mhz Sawtooth Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) that was running on a 32 MB NVIDIA card with an ADC port.

I bought an old 17" Studio Display LCD but it wouldn't power up on the ADC. The reason: although the card worked for VGA, the short AGP slot in the Sawtooth doesn't supply power to the card.

I still have the original ATI Rage 128 Pro with 16 MB VRAM and it has a DVI port.

If I buy the Apple DVI to ADC Adapter will I be able to run the 17" Studio display with the ATI Rage 128 Pro in the Sawtooth?

MacDoc
Jan 26th, 2007, 01:47 AM
yes but a better route would be to slide into a later model G4 ideally a DA or Gigabit- email me - we might have a small bump in model.
That situation is a pain - and the powered ADC are $$$

ppcmac-user
Jan 27th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I have a PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (400mhz) w/ ATI Rage 128 Pro with 16MB VRAM (vga+dvi connection on card). I recently picked up a really clean 17in. Apple Studio Display (LCD) with the Apple DVI to ADC adapter included ($60.00 great deal)... moniter works very well with my quicksilver G4 and using the adapter it works with one of of my windows machine. But it only works in "safe mode" when connected to my powermac G4 sawtooth. I am using the adapter dvi-adc connected to my dvi connector on the video card but only get a grey screen. It boots up, goes to the grey apple screen, start the blue startup screen then changes back to the grey screen with no logo and that's it, then I have to restart the mac. I can't figure out why it doesn't work with the adapter which supplies the power needed. Any help would be much appreciated... thank you in advance!

Greg.

Update: I decided to reinstall Tiger OSX, in the beginning of the install, I used "disk utilities" and usually I would uncheck the OS 9 disk drivers when formatting, but this time I lefted it checked figuring the early OSX's had dual boot w/ OS9 and that's when these monitors came out, and so maybe there were drivers that the monitor needed in there... so I continued with the install, it finished, to my amazement, IT WORKED! Yippeee! Now, I have to find out if my theory was correct or if it was something else... but I thought I would give an update just in case it could help someone else out.... cheers.