: Jpeg-2000

anachronism
Jan 17th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Noticed that I am able to save in this format and it has a "lossless" option. Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this format and if it would be a good idea to convert my jpeg files into it and then save as .jp2 whenever I've done any sort of editing. Would certainly be more space saving than having a bunch of TIFF files floating around. I've just recently started to really get into the fringes of photography and am horrified by the idea of having even more image loss after editing work.

mguertin
Jan 17th, 2007, 04:32 PM
That format is pretty old and as for lossless .. I dunno ;) TIFF (without compression) is truly lossless... I'd stick with that one.

anachronism
Jan 18th, 2007, 02:01 AM
I didn't even know it existed and when I was playing around in colorsync I found that I could save it it as "lossless" but had no idea what that would actually equate to but did see that it was only a few MB more than the original jpeg file where as a TIFF was 50+MB. I'll start saving as TIFF, space isn't really a concern.

Thanks for the reply mguertin

Chealion
Jan 18th, 2007, 08:26 PM
You might want to read Wikipedia's entry on JPEG 2000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jpeg_2000) for more info, but while made as a successor for JPEGs adoption materialized slowly because of the fear of patents on the math involved.

Personally for lossless I'd rather use PNG, TIFF, or the native editor format (.xcf, .psd)

CanadaRAM
Jan 18th, 2007, 09:04 PM
TIFF can be compressed, either exernally or internally, with no loss...