: Only Slightly Burnt

MrWolf
Jan 17th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Okay. I need to back up my iTunes library. Slip a new DVD-R in the old super drive and voula! But all my music only used 2.4 GB of an available 4.7. Ques. 1 Can I use the remaining 2.3 GB or is the disk only good for one burn regardless of file size? Ques. 2 Is there any way of updating my back up disk, or do I need to burn a new one as my library (iTunes) grows?

A Thousand Tank Ewes

hungryhouse
Jan 17th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Once it's burnt, that's all it can be used for. And yes, a new one everytime. You could always get an external hd...? But DVD's only cost pennies now. Small price to pay for that comfy security feeling.

anachronism
Jan 17th, 2007, 03:43 AM
I think DVD+RW can be multi-session burned with certain software but its kind of a sick feeling when you burn something to a DVD and realise it uses under 50% of the disc. I've only had my DVD burner for about a month and really can't believe I didn't get one earlier. Only thing that I have found is that since I run off an external HD, burning to an external DVD burner gave me a few coasters before I realised that burning off my internal HD was flawless (at least with Sony DVD+R but I haven't tried cheap media since this is Taiyo Yuden made and know its great).

HowEver
Jan 17th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Once the DVD session is "closed" that's it, you can't burn more on the disk.

You can use DVD-RWs as suggested above.

But since we're talking about a 25 or 50 cent disk...