: A little angry - poor iPod warranty service

monokitty
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:29 PM
My iPod nano, with an alleged minimum 12 hour battery life, lasts just shy of 2 hours between charges, and has for the past couple of months. On Jan. 10, Apple received my iPod after I had it shipped it to them two days earlier, via self-serve iPod service. Today, Jan. 15, Apple shipped the iPod back to me, noting, "No trouble found." I'm a little peeved (correction: very peeved) that Apple shipped my iPod back to me without fixing the battery life issue. I even paid extra and applied AppleCare to this iPod as I didn't want to pay for a new one if something did go wrong with it. Anyone experience this before? Apple will be getting a nasty phone call this week...

djstp
Jan 16th, 2007, 12:13 AM
the only thing i have gotten on repair is earbuds... and i recieved them within two days of service... thankfully my 3 year old 4th gen is still getting 8 hours playback.
<knock on wood>
before you freak on them, i would suggest running the official user battery test, and record your results. this way you have apple approved evidence to your claim

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61475

Vexel
Jan 16th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Apple will be getting a nasty phone call this week...

Hey Lars,

It really sucks that they didn't fix the battery, however.. generally if you're nice with them on the phone, they'll help you as much as they can.

The last thing they want to hear is someone being disgruntled about their situation.. they hear it day in and day out. Be stern, but not nasty ;) :)

Pelao
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Sounds like you need to impress on them that it's the battery, and that otherwise the iPod is fine. Recording the battery results is a good idea.

About 2 years ago my wife's Mini simply stopped working. Sent it in and they simply replaced it. In that case it was clear the unit was not working. In your case, maybe the workshop simply didn't read the problem sheet, fired it up and found it to be working. Possible bad communication.

HowEver
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Lars, you didn't mention how old the nano is.

Apple warns you right up front that lithium battery life will degrade over time.

If it's new, that's one thing, or a couple of months old, but longer than that no one can predict. Heat and cold affect battery life, for example, and Apple has no way to know what has happened with your device.

That said, I've found that Apple store genius desks tend more to the iPod-swapping-for-a-refurb than Apple Canada does.

Jason H
Jan 17th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I wish had battery problems.

Mine wont stay working long enough. I just had lucky number THREE fail today. YAY upgrade to 30gig video ipod!

This is #3 since october!