: Phantom account in Login window

bkh
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:37 AM
After 2 spontaeous shutdown due to external power fluctuations, a new user has appeared in the login window of my G5 iMac. "Other" can't be logged into but has persisted over several reboots and doesn't appear in Sys Prefs/Users. How can I delete this account?

Perhaps related, I had just replaced a wired ethernet hub for a dlink wired/wireless one to allow my son to connect his HP laptop and my daughter her MacBook, from farflung bedrooms, patios, bathrooms... I had to mess around a bit to allow Mail to reconnect. Don't know if that had anything to do with it. Probably not. Also had to enable Windows Sharing and Personal File Sharing.

I am running the latest Tiger update. Your esteemed help would be appreciated.

gordguide
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:17 AM
" ... to allow my son to connect his HP laptop and my daughter her MacBook, from farflung bedrooms, patios, bathrooms... "

Connect to what? In other words, your Mac or the internet in general or shared printers or what, exactly, did you need to allow access to from the HP and the MacBook?

" ... I had just replaced a wired ethernet hub for a dlink wired/wireless one ..."

" ... Also had to enable Windows Sharing and Personal File Sharing. ..."

You don't need to allow Windows Sharing or Personal File Sharing to allow the two laptops to connect to the internet via WiFi. You've allowed someone access to your Mac by enabling these ports, which are off by default. Now, the only question that remains is: who did you allow access to?

Did you enable the Guest Account?

madgunde
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:24 AM
I don't think "Other" is an actual account. It's an option which lets you log in as a different user, who is not listed. When you click on it, does it ask you for a username AND password? If so, then that is the case. If it only asks for a password and doesn't give you an option to enter a username, then it's a user account.

If my guess is right and it's asking you to enter a username in addition to the password, did you recently enable the root account? The root account is the master administrative account on Unix operating systems and is disabled by default. To Check, run NetInfo Manager (in the /Applications/Utilities folder) and look in the Security menu. There's an option to authenticate, which will ask you to enter your admin password. After doing that, the other options in that menu will be enabled, the last one being either enable root account or disable root account. If it is currently enabled, try disabling it and see if that takes care of the "Other" option in the login window.

There are several ways to hide an account from the login list, but unless someone else has access to your computer, I don't think that's the case, since you would have to know what you were doing.

bkh
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:38 AM
madgunde, that was it exactly. I'm not sure how I enabled Root but apparently I did.

gordguide, Spring cleaning. I wanted them to remove their files from my computer. It's amazing how 160 GB just disappears. Surfing as well- # of computers in my house now exceeds # wired access points. Appreciate the help.