: eeeep! 911! SOS!

joeyjojo
Jan 5th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Hi Ehmacers',

So I have had a worrying day. I just flew back from Calgary but at the security screening they got me to put my laptop through the scanner once and then the dude picks it up and puts it through a second time, but he also removed it from his case and I think maybe dropped it a little. So I fire it (12 inch ibook, second to last model before they went to macbook) up and there appears to be trouble. Let me describe the symptoms and if anyone has any advice I could really use it (as I hardly want to spend 2 grand to replace it).

Symptom 1: it seems randomly shuts off and I have to wait a few moments before I can get it to power up again. This occurs at any point, including before OSX has booted, while it is booting, or after it has booted. That being said, I have booted it up and am currently typing this on it seemingly without problems.

Symptom 2: Once, after one of these failures the white 'sleep' light started to BLINK on and off quite fast and the ibook beeped about 5 times.

Any advice?

Much appreciated!

joeyjojo
Jan 5th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Update:

The computer is not actually turning off, i dont think, it looks more like the display; but when i shut the lid it does not go into sleep mode.

Again, any advice would be great.

monokitty
Jan 5th, 2007, 01:56 AM
If a Mac beeps 5 continuos times in a row, it means its processor is not usable (nothing to do with RAM - FYI) - in the case of an iBook, it means a new logic board is required. Hate to be a bearer of bad news. You're iBook is going to suffer intermittent failures until it fails completely.

madgunde
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Is it safe to put a notebook through the airport XRay? I wonder (and I'm sure you are too joeyjojo), if the problem might have been caused by the XRay radiation?

joeyjojo
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Hmmm, well that is not good news, but thanks for the advice. At least I know what the problem is now.

Is the logic board something that can be repaired? If so is it worth it? Any ideas on cost? Places in Vancouver that could do it?

I don't have applecare so that is out of the question and the ibook is about 1.5yrs old.

audiodan
Jan 5th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I went away for the winter break, and had my MacBook XRay'd, and it seems fine. Good luck with your iBook.

monokitty
Jan 5th, 2007, 01:17 PM
An out-of-warranty logic board repair (read: replacement) on most iBook models will cost you a min. of $700+ taxes, depending on where you take it to be repaired. In your case, now is a good time to upgrade to a new unit, assuming it's financially possible. Repairing your iBook - unless it can be done for pennies - is a waste of money. It might be worth, however, getting an official diagnosis by an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Find an AASP (http://wheretobuy.apple.com/ca_locator/service.html).

As per the x-ray, it's highly unlikely x-rays can/will cause damage to a computer logic board. I've personally never heard of a situation where that was the case.