: Wireless setups >> feedback + recs

Ohenri
Dec 21st, 2002, 02:25 PM
While I'm experiencing challenges at home with my wired setup, I might be looking to go wireless @ the office. I've been quitely looking into some wifi routers. Heard good things about the AsantÚs - too bad they also seem to empty pockets. Read some good things about the NetGear 314 (??). Ports and wireless options. Who is running a linksys wifi here? What about the ABS manufacturer - forget their name right now. They apparently work well too. Should I go with the Apple card? Or can I handle something else? Holla.

PosterBoy
Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:19 PM
Go with the Apple Card, it will cause you the least headaches.

As to a base station, I usually recomend the ABS, something from netgear, or something from Asante, in that order. Linksys stuff is alright, but feels cheaply made to me. They also offer no Mac support so while it would work, of anything went wrong customer support wont help you.

I have found netgear on the other hand to be very helpful, Asante even more so.

--PB

RicktheChemist
Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:21 PM

jfpoole
Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:27 PM
Ohenri wrote:
"What about the ABS manufacturer - forget their name right now. They apparently work well too."

The Apple Base Station (ABS) is made by Lucent/Orinoco; I've been using an Orinoco RG-1100 (http://www.orinocowireless.com/template.html?section=m56&envelope=95&page=3038) at home for about eight months now and it's worked like a champ, both with Apple and non-Apple hardware. In fact, you can take an RG-1100 and turn it into an ABS (instructions are here (http://80211b.weblogger.com/2002/03/09)), which is kind of neat, since an RG-1100 is about half the price of an ABS (although it might clash with your Mac).

PosterBoy
Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:37 PM
jfpoole: Did you turn yours into an ABS, or leave it running as is? If you did change it, did you notice any differences in funtionality, reliability, etc?

--PB

Ohenri
Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:59 PM
so it sounds like Linksys is getting no votes. Wow too bad... it seems like such a good deal. Why no linksys then? just wanted to get an idea of the experiences people have had. I understand that they offer no Mac support, but I currently am running one now - just a 4 port router.

Also, where is there a good retailer for routers in Toronto??

jfpoole
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:45 PM
PosterBoy wrote:
"jfpoole: Did you turn yours into an ABS, or leave it running as is? If you did change it, did you notice any differences in funtionality, reliability, etc?"

I haven't converted it over, but I've been thinking about it. My computing environment here is mixed enough that converting it over to an ABS isn't cleary a Big Win(tm). I might try it anyway for fun over the holidays and see what the Apple ABS tools are like....

Heart
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:54 PM
IMHO:

ABS :
Setup - Easy,
Running after Setup - Smooth
Price - High

Linksys:
Setup - Hard (No Mac Support)
Price - Good

AsantÚ:
Setup - Good
Price - Good

Others unknown.

PosterBoy
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:59 PM
Netgear:
Setup = Easy/good*
Running = smooth
price = Good

*The web based administration is easy once you log in, which some people seem to have a hard time doing. not sure why. Same with the linksys.

--PB