: White Spot on 12" Powerbook???

iPetie
Feb 9th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Hi, Has any one heard of this. I thought it was confined to 15" and 17" models. What did the spots look like on those.
It has become quite noticable and is beginning to drive me nuts that my baby has this imperfection.
I have six months warranty left. Should I action this? Is it actionable? :confused:

TroutMaskReplica
Feb 9th, 2004, 04:43 PM
'actionable'?

if you mean should you contact apple then the answer is yes.

monokitty
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Since you're under warranty, I'd say yes if you see the white spots coming on.

Ohenri
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:22 AM
wow... now on the 12"??? I hope not. BTW, I've been told the new batch of 15"s are now fine. Has anyone come across/knows a recent 15" owner?

H!

iPetie
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Ohenry,
I don't know if this is the same problem as the larger books. I was kind of hoping to get an idea of what those white dots were(looked like) and if anyone had heard of this issue on the 12"

SINC
Feb 10th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Any chance someone could take a screen snapshot of a white spot and post it so others would know what to look for?

Cheers

smile.gif

Kosh
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Article on white spot http://www.macfixit.com/staticpages/index.php?page=20031

Supposed picture of white spots http://icekey.customer.netspace.net.au/photo/whitespot.jpg

SINC
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Next question in the "White Spots For Dummies" series:

Is a white spot the same as I have heard others refer to as dead pixels?

If not what is the difference?

Cheers

:confused:

iPetie
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks Kosh and Sinc.

The spot on my computer is nothing like those pictured in your post Kosh.

More like a small bulb which is brighter than the rest of the backlight. Pixels are good. I'll give them a call and see if they know what it is.
Thanks for your help!

Lawrence
Feb 10th, 2004, 05:03 PM
If you have a pixel that is stuck on, Then it'll appear like a little
tiny light, White spots are more like blotch's.

I think that Apple allows for so many stuck pixel's before they
will replace the screen and I think they have to be like 3 stuck
pixels in a row.

Dave :cool:

iPetie
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Hi Dave,
Definately not a stuck pixel. It is definately a small portion of the backlight (Maybe 4X6 pixels) which is glowing very bright.
Now when I say very Bright, it won't jump out at you but is there just the same.
Thanks,
Peter

Kosh
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Is a white spot the same as I have heard others refer to as dead pixels?

If not what is the difference?
No, white spots aren't the same as dead pixels.

An LCD screen is made of pixels. Remember the wall of lights on the Super Dave show - think of a pixel as one of those lights on a wall of lights. The wall would be the LCD screen. A dead pixel is like when one of those lights is burnt out. The pixel is dead and will basically not show the color it should be. I believe a dead pixel shows up as black, so you'd have a black speck on your LCD screen. Pixels can also get stuck in a certain color. Sometimes carefully massaging the pixel can get it unstuck.