: Cable Modems hackable to uncap

gmark2000
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Article from The Register:
< http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/35377.html >
Cable modem hackers conquer the co-ax
By Kevin Poulsen, SecurityFocus

A small and diverse band of hobbyists steeped in the obscure languages of embedded systems has released its own custom firmware for a popular brand of cable modem, along with a technique for loading it -- a development that's already made life easier for uncappers and service squatters, and threatens to topple long-held assumptions about the privacy of cable modem communications...

Kardnal
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Slashdot has had a couple of reports about this hack. If I remember correctly however, the guys who first did this only got away with it for a few months, before the cable companies caught on.

The response? They were then charged under some sort of FCC regulation and brought up on felony charges for stealing the bandwidth... (I remember something about a 13 year old having his house raided at gun point over an un-capped cable modem). I think the charges with eventually dropped, but it sent a pretty clear message to other would-be uncappers.

Cool? For sure.
Worth it? Probably not...

kloan
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:43 PM
I remember something about a 13 year old having his house raided at gun point over an un-capped cable modem...wow, talk about over reacting!!.. of course, they freak out over hackers too.. which i really dont see as being as severe as they make it out to be... bunch of cry babies if you ask me..