: Are Mac users really this crazy?

fragpie
Feb 4th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Check ou this story:

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,62157,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_3

Hey, I keep my mac-ego to the odd: "Ha! A virus you say? Hrmph! Should have bought a mac!"

This is embarassing

Robin

capitalK
Feb 4th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Well he lied about the mod, how do we know he's not lying about Mac users?

You can only cry wolf so many times...

jonmon
Feb 4th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Actually I think he's telling the truth. Many of those statements crossed my mind as I was looking at that "mod". Macs are our babies and we are very protective of them ;)

skaimauve
Feb 4th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Post removed

ehMax
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:06 AM
From the Wired article:

"I am astonished as to how fast and far this went," he said. "I got e-mails from people in Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Spain, Ireland, Germany, U.K., Portugal, Singapore, Japan, Taiwan, New Zealand and Australia just to name a few places besides the U.S."

Hmmm... anyone guilty from this board? graemlins/heybaby.gif :confused:

I haven't sent out a nasty pro-Mac email since the dark days around '97 when every journalist was predicting the demise of "beleaguered" Apple. But boy was I close to firing a salvo to this guy when I thought he really did tear apart a good working G5. :eek:

MacNutt
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Not to worry, EhMax...

I did not send him any of the evil thoughts that I had in my mind. I doubt if any of the more civil members of this forum did either.

We simply felt very sorry for him...and collectively beamed "healing energy" into his crib. tongue.gif ;)

Lets hope it had some sort of positive effect.

This guy needs all the help he can get.

MACSPECTRUM
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:54 AM
never mind evil thoughts
i wanted to pick up the allegedly thrown away G5 CPUs :D

gordguide
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:58 AM
All the press on this one says pretty much something like "he got a lot of nasty name-calling messages from Mac lovers".

Well, maybe he did. But when I checked the Overclocker website's forum after the story broke, I saw 5 pages of posts telling him (or his fictitious alter-ego) he was a plain and stupid idiot.

And except for one or two that said "I signed up as a member so I could post here" types from Mac users, every single one of them were from guys who owned PCs, and took pains to say so.

I was suspicious when I read in the story something like "l like to surf the web, send eMail, listen to mp3s and burn copies of my buddy's game and music CDs, and I didn't have or want to wait for software."

As anyone here knows, all that stuff can be done, quite nicely, thank you, with the SW installed on the hard drive.

Imagine this one:
On a PC modder's website, post a story and pictures about how you gutted your AlienWare (same price) PC and replaced it with the guts of an eMac. Now there's a guy whose mailbox would fill up in, oh, I dunno, about 10 seconds. And not a one would be nice.

Troutmagnet
Feb 5th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Hmmm... anyone guilty from this board?Not me... nope. Wouldn't dream of it. Naaah... errr.... hmmm... (stares at feet)... err... Nope...

:confused:

Kosh
Feb 5th, 2004, 11:33 AM
While I certainly didn't send him hate-mail or death-threats (hey, I didn't even send him an email), I think he got what would be expected if you publish something crazy like that. In his hoax, he takes an apparently perfectly working G5, guts it, and installs an ugly mess of wires and a PC in it. He then gives away the guts of the G5 to a friend. It gives the impression he's an ignorant spoiled brat.

I'm sure PC users would have acted the same if he had taken a beautiful cased high-end PC and hacked it.

Ingenu
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Here's a G4 in a PC box. Quite nice, actually.

http://www.macbidouille.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2004-02-04#7794

lindmar
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:20 PM
I seriously think this loser did this..
because there is no explanations as to where and how he got a g5 case (he says from his freind) that is all...

Who has empty g5 cases sitting around????

MacNutt
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:50 PM
I found this to be more than a little disturbing. And I found myself echoing the comments and threats that this guy recieved after he desecrated the G5 case that he supposedly got "for free". :eek:

Like most Macusers, I couldn't concieve of the sort of mindset that would take the fastest and coolest computer in the world and cripple it with some PC internals and a lame virus-magnet operating system.

Sort of like shelling out big bucks for a Ferrari and then swapping out the 500HP V12 for a 175HP Hyundai V6. tongue.gif

Gee... what an IMPROVEMENT! Wonder why Ferrari never thought of doing this? graemlins/lmao.gif

Reminds me of something I saw on eBay a few years back. Not long after the Titanium Powerbook came out, some vacuum-head decided to "improve" one by ripping everything out of it and squeezing a bunch of cheesy PC laptop guts into the snazzy case. He was very proud of his work...and wanted 10,000$ US for this Frankenstein's Monster!

Last time I checked ( a few days before the close of the auction) he still hadn't gotten his first bid. ;)

I'm bettin that he never even got a single dollar for it.

But I bet he got a few nasty emails.