: no miracle for Mets

MACSPECTRUM
Oct 20th, 2006, 12:56 AM
sad day for Dr. G.,
i am guessing the doxies are howling their disappointment....

get 'em next year

Ants
Oct 20th, 2006, 12:59 AM
was thinking the same thing....except for the howling.
did you see that incredible catch from Chavez?

MACSPECTRUM
Oct 20th, 2006, 01:02 AM
didn't catch the 'catch' live, but did see it on replay

i still say tigers in 6 or less

young arms in tigers rotation, except the guy who hates getting his picture taken, and lots of rest doesn't bode well for cardinals...

Rob
Oct 20th, 2006, 01:50 AM
This makes for an interesting World Series.

As a kid growing up in Windsor, the 1968 World Series between the Tigers and the Cardinals was "THE" sporting event of my youth. Those same two teams are going to battle it out again almost 40 years later (Yikes!).

Bob Gibson was the fearsome pitcher for St. Louis. Denny McLain won 30 games for Detroit that year, but it was Mickey Lolich who was the pitching star in the World Series. It was a great one.

MacDoc
Oct 20th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Enjoyed the game. What an astounding catch AND turning the double play as well. :clap:

and a snowcone too. :eek: He was way over the wall not only above it.

http://graphics10.nytimes.com/images/2006/10/19/sports/20metsslide.9.jpg

I'm sure we'll see a Tiger sweep tho. They appear unstoppable,.

SINC
Oct 20th, 2006, 08:56 AM
I'm sure we'll see a Tiger sweep tho. They appear unstoppable,.
Tigers in five? :)

Dr.G.
Oct 20th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright.
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light.
And, somewhere men are laughing, and little children shout,

but there is no joy in Metville --
mighty Beltran has struck out.

:( :( :(

modsuperstar
Oct 20th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Dr. G: I expect the Mets to be good for years to come with the lineup they have, so I suspect they'll be back. I consider it a miracle they made it as far as they did given the shambles their pitching staff was in heading into the playoffs. It's crappy luck, but maybe they'll put it together and be facing the Jays next year:)

HowEver
Oct 20th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Still photos don't do justice to that catch.

At least St. Louis didn't just keep hitting the ball to first base...

Dr.G.
Oct 20th, 2006, 11:03 AM
You had to see the catch live to appreciate how it bailed them out at a crucial moment.

Ants
Oct 20th, 2006, 02:00 PM
You had to see the catch live to appreciate how it bailed them out at a crucial moment.

it was a tremendous catch and did give the Mets some needed momentum going into the bottom of the inning. They managed to get some runners on base but Suppan was pitching well.

Tigers take it in 4 games?

MACSPECTRUM
Oct 20th, 2006, 02:07 PM
it was a tremendous catch and did give the Mets some needed momentum going into the bottom of the inning. They managed to get some runners on base but Suppan was pitching well.

Tigers take it in 4 games?

i don't think 4 games since weather has turned quite cold making pitching even more difficult, but i do think 6 games or less for the tigers

MacDoc
Oct 20th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I agree - still photos can never capture the incredible athleticism of that catch. A Nureyev moment in baseball.

One of the Calif papers ran an article just on the catch and how it will live on in sports clips for ever.

MacDoc
Oct 21st, 2006, 10:47 PM
Wow a miracle in the making for the Cards tho. 5-1 Cards in the 6th - no one out two runners on :eek:!!!!!

Oops 7-1 - one out on a very weird play.

Ants
Oct 22nd, 2006, 03:00 AM
The Cards looked great, almost thinking THEY could win this in 4! Reyes pitched well. Let's see if Kenny Rogers brings it on tonight.

MacDoc
Oct 24th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Yikes did I get this one wrong.

Cards munching on the Tigers again - ahead 4 zip in the 7th. :eek:

Kitty cat can't catch these birds. ;)

Ants
Oct 24th, 2006, 11:58 PM
kitty cat can't throw to third!

MacDoc
Oct 25th, 2006, 12:04 PM
kitty cat can't throw to third!

Yeah how embarrassing was THAT :eek:

Dr.G.
Oct 25th, 2006, 12:55 PM
We are just now taking down the black crepe from around the house. Maybe next year.

I guess I would like to see the Tigers win, since the Cards beat the Mets. Still, I would like to see Kenny Rogers caught with a handful of Tootsie Rolls in his pitching hand and trying to claim it was "a lump of dirt". We shall see.

MacDoc
Oct 27th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Oh damn how wrong can I get!!!! :( :eek:

and I missed a wonderful game - gave up in the 7th- figured the Tigers had it cold.....Cards win 5-4 and are one game away from the series win.

MACSPECTRUM
Oct 27th, 2006, 06:47 PM
i never figured anyone could beat the detroit
looks like the birds beat tigers in this universe

Ants
Oct 28th, 2006, 01:23 AM
the kitties could not throw to third, first, catch and hit! This was a completely different team which beat Oakland in 4! Guess the time off in between series really affected their pitching (other than Rogers). The Card's pitching just got stronger.

Congrats to the Cards, they outpitched the Tigers.

MacDoc
Oct 28th, 2006, 02:15 AM
All I can say it seems us Cardinal doubters are in good company - all the experts got it wrong too.

Good on the birds - while clearly the Tigers "lost" the series mostly by their own blunders...the Cards put the pressure on and made the most of the errors.

Quite a pitching lesson by the West coach reject. Must have been very satisfying for him.

Discounted pitcher, discounted team........BUT.....who's got the rings. :claps:

Dr.G.
Oct 28th, 2006, 09:31 AM
A well played game by the Cards. At least the team that beat the Miracle Mets won the Series. Next year, the All Star game is in San Francisco, and hopefully, will be the home of the 2007 World Series champs -- the SF Giants. If they build a team without Bonds (who is now a free-agent), the Giants have a chance. We shall see.