: Wireless printing with ethernet printer HOW?

rollee
Oct 7th, 2006, 05:17 AM
I am trying to add an apple printer (Asantetalk bridge) via ethernet to my snow airport extreme base station, thus making it a wireless network printer at home.

This printer connects directly into my Mac (OSX plug&play) working flawlessly, but the system fails to 'see' the printer when connected to the LAN ethernet port of the snow extreme base station.

Anyone here with experience on this?
My understanding, the snow BS has a WAN ethernet port (connects to my DSL modem) and a LAN ethernet port (to printers or other MACs).

I was looking into airport network setup, base station configurations, wiring and such till now (5am)! No luck. Is there a way to turn on Appletalk in the AEBS?
Please help.

Orion
Oct 7th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Just to understand the setup:
Mac ~~[via wireless to]~~ AEBS --[via Ethernet to]-- Asante bridge --[via LocalTalk to]-- printer.

(Is this correct?)

The AEBS should be able to handle the AppleTalk as I've used that to connect a distinctly non-TCP/IP friendly Mac through it before... and into the LAN port no less. I'm wondering if you may have "Use AppleTalk" unchecked on your wireless connection on the Mac.

If, on the other hand, you have another router somewhere in the mix that could be the problem as only a few are capable of understanding AppleTalk / LocalTalk.

Update:
A MacOSX Forum archive (thank you Google cache ^_^) mentions turning the printer on first then the base station, otherwise the base station won't see the printer.

rollee
Oct 8th, 2006, 02:39 AM
thanks for the reply, i cannot get an IP of the printer through the airport extreme BS.
i resolved the issue by directly connecting into my Mac, it's just inconvenient to constantly leave the mac on for other computers to share this printer wirelessly.