Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Great new PocketMac for Blackberry

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Script Kiddie 
#1 ·
There is a new version of PocketMac (free) for Blackberry. Version 4.0 is a significant improvement and now works with many other calendar and other applications as well as having numerous new features. Still no syncing over BlueTooth (i.e. needs a USB connection) but you can push your Safari Bookmarks to the device and loading new software is made easier. You can also sync to your .Mac account and sync emails you've sent fromt he device to your Mac.

It's also compatible with the new Pearl Blackberry. Very nice software. Only caveat is that if your user account does not have admin priviledges, you must activate them before installing and then disable after (I usually work from a non-admin account for security reasons - its much safer). You cannot install into an administrator account and then use PockMac from a non-admin account. You can turn off admin priviledges for the user account after installation. It's do do with access settings. You also need OS X 10.3.9 or 10.4.x It doesn't work with some of the older "Berries.

#2 ·
This is a very nice update to Pocketmac. I've installed with no issues. This is much more inline with the PC version for Blackberry. The Application loader takes away the only major headache from the previous versions for me.

Bluetooth sinc would sure be nice though.

#3 ·
I wouldn't be jumping up and down for joy. The word on the DayLite lists are that while this is better, it still isn't there yet. And the complaints I'm hearing about the lack of support from the PocketMac folks are pretty bad. People are willing to put up with a problem if the developer is responsive, they get fed up if the developer won't respond to problems, either publicly or privately.

I wish companies like RIM would realize that leaving this issue up to a third party is like standing at the front door and telling every 20th person that they can't buy your product.

#4 ·
Steve, I feel your pain
Apple's user base has ramped up much faster than anyone would have predicted, say, 2 years ago. I believe that many companies are getting way more service calls than they expected for weak/missing Mac support for their products. I strongly suspect that if said companies could go back in time 2 years they would have made a native Mac application (which can be a huge mental undertaking if said companies are strongly windows based). Bottom line --- Mac users power-of-numbers (and highly prosumer tech profile) are moving the world, but it takes time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.