Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

switching hard drives

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  MacDoc 
#1 ·
I've just bought a ti-book 667. I still have my pismo, which is finally reaching its limitations. The pismo has more memory and a newer, bigger, faster hard drive. Switching the RAM will be straightforward but what about the drive. Can I simply take the hard drive out of the pismo and put it into the ti-book? (I've still got the original pismo drive to put back in, the current ti-book drive will go into a FW portable drive.) There's a couple of programs on the ti-book drive I want to save. Of course, I want to save everything on the pismo drive.
I've got the original discs for the ti-book (weird, they're labelled power mac G4, not powerbook, but I guess that's right.)

Feel a bit sad about retiring the pismo, it had a good run but the picture is whiter, brighter and I can watch supermoto video with the ti-book.

What do I do about the drives?

#2 ·
You can do it. It's not to hard. I changed the hard drive in my wife's 800 Mhz Ti book and it took me about 30 minutes. (The dealer said it would take at least 4 hours) You'll need a Torx screwdriver for the screws on the bottom. Here's the link for a Powerbook 667 - 867 Mhz DVI. I'd print them out and have them handy.

#3 ·
Thanks, but I guess I wasn't as clear as I hoped. The mechanical thing is not the question.

Once I install the pismo drive, will the G4 read it? If I have to upgrade the system software, whatever I may need to do, will I lose the contents of the drive?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.