: Crack in iMac case

irod
Aug 14th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I have a 2nd Gen. iMac G5 and have developed a crack in the case in the right lower corner at the display. I can't feel it but it seems to be getting bigger, it's about 1 inch long at this time. Has anyone run into this? I have AppleCare and bought it at the Yorkdale store.
Any advice or suggestions before I call AppleCare would be appreciated.

JPL
Aug 14th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Just call them and let them deal with it, that shouldn't happen. I wonder if there is a heat buildup in that area which has weakened the case.

Deep Blue
Aug 14th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I'd be surprised if heat cracked it. Perhaps a clumsy technician weakened the area during manufacture when clipping the case together. It should not be and Apple should fix it.

interlude
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:14 PM
I have AppleCare and bought it at the Yorkdale store.
Any advice or suggestions before I call AppleCare would be appreciated.
Wouldn't Apple say that this is a cosmetic issue?

I hope they fix it for you. All the best, :)

dona83
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:15 PM
It's not heat itself that cracks it, it's the fact that when it heats up the material expands, and when it cools it retracts. Do this many times to material and it'll start to wear, especially since the polycarbonate used on the iMacs is a very tough but brittle material. Have you tried pouring ice cold water in a glass (clear glass) that's been in boiling water for awhile? Again not the heat that destroys it, it's the temperature difference.

NBiBooker
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Very good explanation. I too hope Apple fixes your issue.

pmoyniha
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I managed to do a number on the bezel of my iBook, which should not have been covered under warranty, but I brought it into the Apple store, and they fixed it for free (cost on the bill - $376, but they said it was under warranty!?). Hopefully they will feel generous when you bring yours in!

irod
Aug 15th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I'll take it down this weekend and see what they will do. I don't have any other issues other than that.
Other than that, there are no other issues except the fact I'll want to buy everything in the store when I walk in.