: A good time to purchase an iMac?

Configuration
Aug 12th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I am considering purchasing an iMac from the online mac store.

20-inch widescreen LCD with 1680x1050 resolution
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo with 2MB shared L2 cache
1GB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
250GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 256MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

UPDATE:
Is it the right time to purchase one? Will the price be dropping soon, or is a replacement scheduled? Any advice to this buy is appreciated.

Well it seems waiting was the best decision, the new iMacs are here ahead of schedule!

Now I have some new questions, of course I'll be sticking to the 20" model. But of that model and about 2,500$ maximum budget, what configuration should I go with?

What's the performance difference between the 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and the 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo? Does it really make a difference?

For regular gaming and tinkering with media making applications, is 1GB enough or is 2GB recommended?

ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM or ATI Radeon X1600/128MB VRAM?

To what extent is the iMac 20" upgradable? (24" is about too large and costly for me)

Now for this machine, it'll be mainly for web browsing, text processing, learning to code, mini media center, playing around with the usual garageband, imovie, idvd, possible FinalCut Pro, gaming, etc.

It'll be my main computer, hoping to keep it as that for quite awhile (want it to last a few years to the minimum as my main). I'm a software junky, I love trying out new applications, games, power apps, and such. I'll probably be dual booting Windows alongside OS X as well, possibly Vista when it's released (using boot camp).

Now, for your advices.. is this a good machine for that? What configuration should I go with and is it a good buy?

*Will be buying from Apple.ca store*

$2,200-2,400 around is what my configurations usually head up to, but all advice is welcome.

Thanks everyone!

Configuration
Aug 12th, 2006, 08:44 PM
>< wrong forum

DoNotPokeTheScreen
Aug 12th, 2006, 08:50 PM
>< wrong forum

:eek: What forum would be a better place to talk about macs than ehMAC?

fyrefly
Aug 12th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Configuration - to answer your question - there probably will be an update to the iMac sometime before the end of the year. Whether it'll be in 2 weeks or 2 months, we don't know.

However... the new chips that the iMac would use (merom) aren't that much faster (tests are showing 2-17% faster) than the current processors inside the iMacs (yonah processors).

So... the usual advice applies: if you need it now. Buy it. I've heard nothing but great things about the intel iMacs. If you don't need it right now, wait a month or so and see if the update comes out.

Configuration
Aug 13th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Ah I reposted the thread at https://www.ehmac.ca/showthread.php?t=43453
Since it seemed more suitable in a mac support forum.

Fyrefly, a merom processor iMac would retain a better resell value than the current iMac, correct? But then again, how long do these iMacs last? Would they ever resell well?

I don't exactly need the iMac at the moment.. But I'd really like it right now :) But if there's an update on the way.. I guess it'd be best to wait. It's just that at the moment, I'm on an old Dell that just doesn't run well at all. I'd prefer OSX.

NewGuy
Aug 13th, 2006, 01:16 AM
However... the new chips that the iMac would use (merom) aren't that much faster (tests are showing 2-17% faster) than the current processors inside the iMacs (yonah processors).

The assumption I'm making is that the Merom (or Conroe) chip, as 64 bit, is much more attractive. From what we know about Leopard, it seems like it will be a better fit, and slightly more future-proofed. I'm waiting for the new chips.

dona83
Aug 13th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Rave! Rave! Get the iMac you will not be disappointed!

monster and machine
Aug 13th, 2006, 03:26 AM
>< wrong forum

you are a stupid ass.

JPL
Aug 13th, 2006, 08:57 AM
The new iMacs have a CPU socket and therefore the processor can be upgraded. If you need/want it now get it. As for resale prices Macs have traditionally held up very well compared to your average PC.

HowEver
Aug 13th, 2006, 09:51 AM
you are a stupid ass.

Wow. You realize he was talking about himself, right?

Often a safe assumption.

NBiBooker
Aug 13th, 2006, 09:53 AM
you are a stupid ass.

Stop being so negative and knock off with the profanity.

Configuration
Sep 8th, 2006, 09:41 PM
hmm I guess this IS the proper thread.. XD

Well it seems waiting was the best decision, the new iMacs are here ahead of schedule!

Now I have some new questions, of course I'll be sticking to the 20" model. But of that model and about 2,500$ maximum budget, what configuration should I go with?

What's the performance difference between the 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and the 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo? Does it really make a difference?

For regular gaming and tinkering with media making applications, is 1GB enough or is 2GB recommended?

To what extent is the iMac 20" upgradable? (24" is about too large and costly for me)

Now for this machine, it'll be mainly for web browsing, text processing, learning to code, mini media center, playing around with the usual garageband, imovie, idvd, possible FinalCut Pro, gaming, etc.

It'll be my main computer, hoping to keep it as that for quite awhile (want it to last a few years to the minimum as my main). I'm a software junky, I love trying out new applications, games, power apps, and such. I'll probably be dual booting Windows alongside OS X as well, possibly Vista when it's released (using boot camp).

Now, for your advices.. is this a good machine for that? What configuration should I go with and is it a good buy?

*Will be buying from Apple.ca store*

$2,200-2,400 around is what my configurations usually head up to, but all advice is welcome.

Thanks everyone!

Atroz
Sep 8th, 2006, 10:15 PM

Performance difference: Given the difference between 2.0 and 2.16 is about 5%. I'd expect the same between 2.16 and 2.33. http://www.macworld.com/2006/09/firstlooks/imacbench/index.php

I didn't work out the dollars, but if you can afford it, go with the extra RAM (you might want to consider aftermarket (see: www.canadaram.com), extra VRAM if you are in to 3D games and the slower CPU to save some money.

Beyond RAM, there is no internal upgrades for the 20" iMac that you can do. However, you can add external stuff. E.g. External hard drive, a second display, TV tuner, etc.

anachronism
Sep 8th, 2006, 10:26 PM
I don't like the way the new RAM is set up. It was so easy with the last one to order a 1GB stick from Apple and get another afterwards cheaper. Now, you'll have to get rid of 1 or probably 2 512MB DIMMS.

$210 sounds pretty good for 2GB of RAM but its actually only for 1GB additional to what is already included in the system price. :rolleyes:

Pavmentsurfer
Sep 8th, 2006, 10:48 PM
After owning a dual 2.0 Macbook with 512 ram, then upgrading it to 1 gig GET THE MAX RAM. Especially if your going to be doing any video editing at all. If you do go the route of upgrading with aftermarket ram, keep in mind, 1 gig (2 X 512) is selling for around $75-90 (when pulled from a factory system). I Bought 1 gig (2 X 512) from a guy who pulled it from his Macbook for $85 shipped. Probably better to just order it with the ram you want then to pull the stock ram and replace it.

I just went on Apple.ca and priced out the following system, which is what id buy in your position:
Specifications

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
250GB Serial ATA Drive
ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
20-inch widescreen LCD
AirPort Extreme
Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

The total for this is $2059 plus tax totals $2347.26

That leaves you more than enough to go out and get an external hard drive if you wanted it.

Just my 2 cents.

Pavmentsurfer

jdurston
Sep 8th, 2006, 10:58 PM
After owning a dual 2.0 Macbook with 512 ram, then upgrading it to 1 gig GET THE MAX RAM. Especially if your going to be doing any video editing at all. If you do go the route of upgrading with aftermarket ram, keep in mind, 1 gig (2 X 512) is selling for around $75-90 (when pulled from a factory system). I Bought 1 gig (2 X 512) from a guy who pulled it from his Macbook for $85 shipped. Probably better to just order it with the ram you want then to pull the stock ram and replace it.

I just went on Apple.ca and priced out the following system, which is what id buy in your position:
Specifications

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
250GB Serial ATA Drive
ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
20-inch widescreen LCD
AirPort Extreme
Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

The total for this is $2059 plus tax totals $2347.26

That leaves you more than enough to go out and get an external hard drive if you wanted it.

Just my 2 cents.

Pavmentsurfer

Looks good to me. Spend the Money on the RAM and video memory not an incrementally faster processor.

Configuration
Sep 9th, 2006, 05:58 PM
PavementSurfer, that configuration looks pretty good for me.
But what if I could have a budget of 3,000$? Should I go for a 24" for the graphics card and stunning monitor size?

Atroz
Sep 9th, 2006, 07:37 PM
PavementSurfer, that configuration looks pretty good for me.
But what if I could have a budget of 3,000$? Should I go for a 24" for the graphics card and stunning monitor size?

More is never enough. Go for it.

;)

Configuration
Sep 14th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Sealed the deal, sweet new 24" iMac order placed. Due to get here by the end of the month latest with the shipping.

Thanks for all of your advice, opted for upped graphics card and memory, left everything else standard. At first I had thought the processor upgrade was worth it, but thanks to your advice, I get 2GB of RAM =). Too bad they're two 1GB sticks, it'd be so much better if it were a single 2GB stick of RAM.. easier to upgrade. Anyway thanks for your advice, I'll be updating when my iMac arrives. It's going to be a sweet machine!

-Sorry for the poor grammar, just ecstatic right now, I can't wait until it arrives

fyrefly
Sep 15th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Congrats on your new purchase! I'm trying to decide between the 20" and the 24" myself right now, but I think I'll get a 20" - I don't have the ever expanding budget like you do! ;) (kidding, seriously congrats on the AWESOME new iMac you're getting. I saw a 24" iMac in the flesh and it's HUGE)

NewGuy
Sep 15th, 2006, 01:19 PM
I posed a question about the new iMac in another thread
https://www.ehmac.ca/showthread.php?t=44446&page=2
I'd be curious to know any of your thoughts...

Kosh
Sep 15th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Your question is answered in the original thread.

Configuration
Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:13 PM
The iMac's here! It arrived today and I must say that I am impressed!
It's size is overwhelming, it will take some getting used to but it's beautiful. The contrast and colours are stunning. It works perfectly out of the box and was running within seconds just as any other mac.

Impressed =)

NewGuy
Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:22 PM
The iMac's here! It arrived today and I must say that I am impressed!

Congrats!
I had the exact same experience yesterday. I'm very impressed!!