: Apple Has 5 of the 25 Greatest PCs of All Time

rodkin
Aug 12th, 2006, 06:57 PM
According to PC World, Apple has 5 of the 25 greatest PCs of all time, including No. 1. Pretty cool!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,126692;page,1/article.html

M1lkman
Aug 12th, 2006, 07:04 PM
lol. I didn't see the VIC20 on there. Darn! All that youth wasted....

audiodan
Aug 12th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Pretty good, except they aren't PCs! I like how we got no. 1 though!:D

JPL
Aug 12th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Yes they are personal computers PCs

Deep Blue
Aug 12th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I had a spirited debate with two friends about this. When is a Mac a PC...and when is it not?

Is a Mac PC at all?

Or is it an apple that fell from the tree of the PC and just grew all by itself, a holder of PC genes but, in reality, a wild breed all of its own?

Pat McCrotch
Aug 12th, 2006, 09:34 PM
I think PC was adopted as a term meaning IBM compatible. Back in the day (80s) there was Mac and IBM compatible... now it seems to be Mac and PC.

Perhaps computer companies like Gateway and Hewlett Packard helped create the term "PC" because IBM compatible makes it sound like IBM computers are the "norm" or the industry standard, which would be obviously detrimental to their own computer sales.

Don't quote me on this, this is just my understanding of the word "PC".

I guess if you look back at the time when a "computer" could take up a whole room, was very prone to over-heating and couldn't do much more than basic arithmetic, then by contrast a "personal computer" is a computer miniaturized to the point where the average person can use it. Of course this definition has become obsolete since even the most advanced recent servers don't take up a whole room.

M1lkman
Aug 13th, 2006, 12:21 AM
I think PC was adopted as a term meaning IBM compatible. Back in the day (80s) there was Mac and IBM compatible... now it seems to be Mac and PC.

It is kinda fuzzy, but in the mid to late 80's, were PC's not called "IBM clones" for a while? I do remember buying a few PC's back then and they were labelled as just simply a "clone" Boy, ask me if I miss my Packard Bell with my expansive 32 meg hard drive much! :):)

That could have just been the slang. Just what rushed through my brain as I read your response.