: Setting up a wireless router, Mac-Win XP

Chris
Aug 7th, 2006, 08:08 PM
A friend is proposing to set up a wireless router for his daughter's Win XP machine. He purchased a D-Link DI-624 Xtreme wireless router.

The idea is to keep a direct connection from his iMac to the router, while enabling his daughter to use a wireless connection to her notebook. I've looked through the manual, and it seems to be pretty straight forward. Essentially, it seems that he should hook it up like this: DSL modem>>router>>iMac.

The software seems to be easy enough to install and configure using the D-Link wizard, but I'm wondering if there are any issues that he should be wary of. His hardware is a Blueberry iMac, G3 350 Mhz, OS X Tiger. I don't have a lot of hands on experience setting up routers, much less wireless ones involving Windows, so if there are any obvious pitfalls that should be avoided, I'd appreciate the advice.

Many thanks in advance.

ErnstNL
Aug 7th, 2006, 08:27 PM
It's all pretty straightforward as you said.
I have a DI-624 Xtreme and it's easy to set up and use.
My daughter's Toshiba laptop is connected by wireless and she will sometimes get a dropout. The laptop can't find the wireless signal until I turn the router off for 10 seconds and turn it back on... Weird.
Our iBook with the D-Link DWL-122 usb adapter never had this problem.
The dropout usually happens when I turn the TV on or off.:confused: More weird.

Turn on wep encryption and you can block unauthorized users by enabling a MAC address filter. MAC addresses can be spoofed but I do it anyway. THe router sits on a desk in plain sight and I always know if there's wireless activity. There are 2 other networks we can detect, must be our neighbors.

Change the admin password and username frequently. There have been a few threads about stealing wireless etc..
There are lots of previous threads and great hints that have helped me here on ehMac.

Chris
Aug 7th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Thanks, Ernst. That's just what I wanted to know. :clap: I feel more comfortable telling my friend to just follow the installation instructions now.

I will definitely tell him to look at changing the admin name and password from time to time. Fortunately, he lives in a reasonably rural area with only about a dozen other houses in shouting distance, so this may not be an issue for him.

Thanks again!

guitar_lord
Aug 10th, 2006, 09:27 AM
You should be able to just locate the default username and password for your router in the documentation and just log into it by typing the default gateway in your browser. This should launch the routers GUI and it should be pretty straight forward at that point.

Make sure you setup WEP (128 bit) (this can be hacked but its still worth enabling)
You also want to setup MAC filtering, change your SSID and make sure you disable the broadcast of that SSID so your neighbours cant see your router.

Also as mentioned change the default username/password for the device so its secure

Good Luck!