: *[email protected]#[email protected] Windows

hhk
Aug 7th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Here's the #1 reason I love my Mac after 20 years of Windows - when I plug in my firewire drive, the MacBook Pro recognises it and assigns it a driver letter - every time.

With Windows, it's hit and miss. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes using USB cable works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a re-boot works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a complete power-off works, sometimes it doesn't.

Sorry man, venting after spending 2 hours trying to troubleshoot XP and my external drive.

SoyMac
Aug 7th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Sorry man, venting after spending 2 hours trying to troubleshoot XP and my external drive.
No problem, Brother/Sister. You're in the right place. :)

audiodan
Aug 7th, 2006, 10:44 AM
You have made the right move! Keep on Mac'n.

monster and machine
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:14 AM
oh christ i was over at my friend's house last night and he has a top of the line dualcore PC notebook.......what a piece of garbage that thing is. i couldn't believe the problems they were having that they didn't even find unusual. they just accepted them as an intergrel part of the computing experience. i tried for a long time to keep my mouth shut but by the end of the night i was giving mac sermons all around......it was impossible to resist.

JPL
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:20 AM
oh christ i was over at my friend's house last night and he has a top of the line dualcore PC notebook.......what a piece of garbage that thing is. i couldn't believe the problems they were having that they didn't even find unusual. they just accepted them as an intergrel part of the computing experience. i tried for a long time to keep my mouth shut but by the end of the night i was giving mac sermons all around......it was impossible to resist.

Hang on fellas, don't blame the hardware, there are excellent PC Laptops, it's the WINDOWS OS which is just a dogs breakfeast.

hhk
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:21 AM
I thought it must be just me or something wrong with my DIY external drive. But, do a Google on this problem and you see that it's everywhere.

Simple thing - a hot swappable drive is supposed to be hot swappable. Ray Ozzie, get it together in Vista or forever face my wrath! Frig!

mikef
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Odd... I use the same external drive on my Mac and my PC (running XP and Gentoo Linux) and when it plug it into either machine, it just works (to quote Steve Jobs).

rondini
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:47 AM
How can they be excellent PC laptops if they are running Windows? I think well made should also include being useable!!

JPL
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:48 AM
How can they be excellent PC laptops if they are running Windows? I think well made should also include being useable!!

Well as a matter of fact they run very well under linux.

hhk
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Now, now. What's wrong with most Wintel laptaps is this - build quality. The Inspiron Dells are especially atrocious.

kps
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Now, now. What's wrong with most Wintel laptaps is this - build quality. The Inspiron Dells are especially atrocious.

Well that's good to know...I just ordered one (Inspiron 6400) a week ago and another one has been working fine for the past 3 years on XP-Pro. :lmao:

As with anything these days, it's a hit or miss.

I have a need to be dual-platform and consequently Dell and XP-Pro is a decent option for my needs as far as price and functionality. What I'm not looking forward to is supporting two PCs instead of just one. :rolleyes:

funkylizard
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Umm, I wouldn't brag too much about build quality. My MBP has had more problems and is the least durable laptop I have ever used. Stick it up against laptops like a IBM (Lenovo) and it will get rocked in terms of toughness and durability. Although being able to use my MPB as a radiator for my home is a bonus no other laptop can provide. Make fun of winxp all you want (although as a recent convert, I'm finding the osx problematic as well) but MBP build quality is no better than any other laptop. Don't confuse it looking better than any other lappy (the IBMs look like ass) than it being better.

Still love it though, just got to be extra careful with it...and because Apple Care sucks ass and doesn't provide accidental warranty like IBM or Dell...well...you know.....

mikef
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Apple, on the other hand, has an impeccible track record with it's notebooks...

gozer
Aug 7th, 2006, 09:26 PM
mmy lacie porsche works no problem booting up in windows.