: One of the best switcher emails I ever got... Apple could use this one

CarbonJohn
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:17 AM
This one gave everyone at the office a huge chuckle and smile. The last line is great:

Subject: ipod battery
Date: Tue, August 1, 2006 6:23 pm
To: [email protected]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to confirm that we received your message about the
battery being in for the ipod mini. We'll likely be up Thursday or
Friday night.

Thank you for the phone call.

Lee P.

p.s.....about the Mac we purchased from you last month - you've
created a monster!! I have had a ball putting together our vacation
video from May of 2005. Something I had been trying to work on for a
year but found so very discouraging with the old PC. Editing video
clips, dubbing audio, inserting photos with and without the Ken Burns
effects and learning more every day. What a great platform for our
needs!! Being able to burn the DVD as you go to be sure that the end
result is what you had hoped for is a great asset. Problem is that
with iMovie and iDVD the results exceed what I hoped for. Even a
simple task like making a "windows based computer for sale" poster is
a breeze on this machine. Thank you!!!

Lee

:clap:

JPL
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:25 AM
LOL, there is no question his experience is a Mac only thing. Having used Mac for years and then using a PC for a few years and now being back to Mac makes me wonder why I ever wanted to learn that system. I guess in the final analysis it really made me appreciate the true ease and reliabliity of the Mac OS as well as the beauty and engineering design of Apple hardware.

gridtalker
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:32 AM
LOL, there is no question his experience is a Mac only thing. Having used Mac for years and then using a PC for a few years and now being back to Mac makes me wonder why I ever wanted to learn that system. I guess in the final analysis it really made me appreciate the true ease and reliabliity of the Mac OS as well as the beauty and engineering design of Apple hardware.<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=*H4hz/ywH9w&offerid=77305.10001570&type=4&subid=0" vspale=0></iframe>
<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=*H4hz/ywH9w&offerid=99467.10000155&type=3&subid=0" vspale=0></iframe>

Same here

mac_geek
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I don't know... I still prefer Windows Movie Maker over iMovie.

dona83
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:22 PM
The one thing I like about Windows Movie Maker is that it logically separates a large video clip into smaller manageable ones when it detects a scene change for example. This is a manual process in iMovie from what I know so far but it's not too bad since I rarely have to mash up scenes anyway.

Macaholic
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:30 PM
I haven't used Movie Maker, and iLife is SO MUCH MORE than just iMovie, but Movie Maker has a very straight-ahead step-by-step guide (http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/wmm2_01.gif) along the left-hand side that appears to be a lot more helpful for those who know SQUAT about the software. Like, the software also appears to be more complicated than iMovie, but OTOH iMovie is much more icon-driven and therefore subjective and perhaps cryptic to some folks with its UI than Movie Maker might be. But hey, once you know iMovie, it's smooth as silk. Both programs "are what they are" once you get to know either of them. And, to that end, iMovie looks to be a much smoother operator than Movie Maker. Like, just LOOK at the steps involved in importing your film in the first place (http://www.wtvi.com/teks/moviemaker/#3)!

TrevX
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:33 PM
The one thing I like about Windows Movie Maker is that it logically separates a large video clip into smaller manageable ones when it detects a scene change for example. This is a manual process in iMovie from what I know so far but it's not too bad since I rarely have to mash up scenes anyway.
iMovie has had automatic scene detection for as long as I can remember. It will do exactly what you're describing above when you import video from a camera or whatever. It wont do it when you import video from a file, but it certainly does it from a camera.

Trev

MannyP Design
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:36 PM

I'm pretty sure iMovie has the option to automatically cut movie clips into specific lengths, or when the footage cuts between scenes.

EDIT: Trev beat me to the punch. :)

Macaholic
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:37 PM
iMovie has had automatic scene detection for as long as I can remember. It will do exactly what you're describing above when you import video from a camera or whatever. It wont do it when you import video from a file, but it certainly does it from a camera.

Trev

Right. And as of... iLife 05, I think, they have that "magic iMovie" thing that rips of Movie maker's "wizard" that dos the same thing.

DBerG
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Ask the author if they are willing to publish this to Apple? Could be worth the call.

JPL
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:37 PM
I don't know... I still prefer Windows Movie Maker over iMovie.
NP you can run it on your Intel Mac.