: Calibrating a Macbook battery

Pat McCrotch
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:14 PM
Hi, I've been reading the Macbook owners manual and it says that you should calibrate your battery every 2 months or so. Do any of you guys/gals do this? If so how do you do it?

It states in the manual that you should fully charge the battery and then let the battery "rest" while plugged in for two hours, then unplug the battery and get the computer to completely run out of power and go into sleep mode and leave it in sleep mode for five hours or longer.

It doesn't say if the computer must be used continuously while the battery uncharges or if you can put your computer into sleep mode and finish draining the battery later...

What's everyone's opinion on this? Just curious...

SINC
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:17 PM
I use mine until the battery dies and it shuts off, then follow the recharge instructions from Apple. Got my MBP in April and have done this twice.

Was pointless though as they recalled my battery, so will have to start all over again.

jdurston
Aug 1st, 2006, 05:15 PM
As long as you drain it completely without charging it all part way through I think it's fine.

The wait time afterwards is to let the battery cool down I think. Maybe the calibration works better on a cool battery. I think internal resistence goes up with temperature so a cool battery may calibrate more accurately.

I think fully cycling your battery occasionally is more important than getting a perfect calibration, for the battery's life expectancy.