: Canadians Returning From Lebanon...

The Doug
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:47 AM
A colleague at work has someone in her area who was visiting family in Lebanon, and was affected by the situation there; he was originally scheduled to return four days after the bombing began.

Today is his first day back at work. He said that the Canadian gov't. took him & others to Turkey by boat - and upon their arrival there they asked him to sign a form... for a loan that they would provide, to finance the return airfare to Canada.

If this is true, it's sickening. A loan? Has anyone else heard any similar stories?

He said he didn't accept the loan and simply put his return airfare on his credit card.

HowEver
Jul 31st, 2006, 12:10 PM
It's been widely reported that the return voyage was supposed to be free. In fact, the government is considering legislation to ensure that it does not have to cover the millions of Canadians who live abroad in the future.

Perhaps this was just a screening process to determine who could just charge the trip back and who couldn't?

Your friend probably has a case to bring up with the foreign affairs ministry.

aircooln
Jul 31st, 2006, 12:14 PM
Sounds fair to me. Planes cost money to put in the sky.

SINC
Jul 31st, 2006, 12:16 PM
There certainly should not be a "loan" involved. Rescue all Canadians in Lebanon at our expense by all means.

That being said, an investigation into current policy needs to take place to set guidelines for future events.

There are some among the rescued who have not set foot on Canadian soil in scores of years who should be excluded from such rights as Canadians and instead be treated as "Canadians of Convenience."

MasterBlaster
Jul 31st, 2006, 12:41 PM

MACSPECTRUM
Jul 31st, 2006, 12:53 PM
this all goes to a something i posted a long time ago questioning the usefullness of multiple citizenship

dona83
Jul 31st, 2006, 01:09 PM
Unless you're in a non dual citizenship recognizing country like Korea (if you gain citizenship in another country, you are no longer Korean). So the only people who have the luxury of being rescued if North Korea attacks are foreign Engllish teachers. To heck with the nationals. Mind you South Korea is not a terrorist harbouring country, just being held ransom by some whacked out communist in the "DEMOCRATIC People's Republic of Korea"

I think the ships should've continued on to Canada for those unable to afford the airfare home. People who do have return airfare home should be credited somehow. I say get them home no matter how much it costs, as long as the most cost effective method is used...

MLeh
Jul 31st, 2006, 01:29 PM
I think the ships should've continued on to Canada for those unable to afford the airfare home. People who do have return airfare home should be credited somehow. I say get them home no matter how much it costs, as long as the most cost effective method is used...

Being aboard a ship across the Atlantic would have cost considerably more than airfare.

guytoronto
Jul 31st, 2006, 01:38 PM
Rescue all Canadians in Lebanon at our expense by all means.

Screw that! I'm not going to foot the bill to rescue somebody who CHOSE to work or live in one of the most politically unstable regions in the world.

Anybody who decides that the Middle East is for them is going to have to live with their decision, or pay to get out of it.

adagio
Jul 31st, 2006, 02:09 PM
I have no problem with my tax dollar paying for those who have been out of the country less than six months. Everyone else should pay!

I sure as heck don't expect Canadians to pay for ME if I chose to live elsewhere. There is an overall sense of "entitlement" these days that's turning otherwise upstanding, proud Canadians into a country of whining babies.

JumboJones
Jul 31st, 2006, 02:16 PM
gt, adagio I totally agree, I was especially angered to hear the Provincial gov't lifting the waiting period for health insurance for those returning. We can't afford to staff our hospitals but we can dish out for them, free health care for all!

SINC
Jul 31st, 2006, 02:27 PM
Screw that! I'm not going to foot the bill to rescue somebody who CHOSE to work or live in one of the most politically unstable regions in the world.

Anybody who decides that the Middle East is for them is going to have to live with their decision, or pay to get out of it.
My logic was that it would be impossible to determine a Canadian from a "Canadian of Convenience" in the midst of a war zone. Just get them out and determine who owes us back the money later. Seems to me to be the humane thing to do.

Arguing over who is eligible and who is not while rockets are raining down is absurd.

adagio
Jul 31st, 2006, 02:38 PM
SINC, I think someone waving their EXPIRED Canadian passport would be an easy determination of "Canadian of Convenience" don't you?

How about looking at the entry stamp in the passport? Anyone dated less than six months gets a "get out of jail" card free. Everyone else signs a "loan" form or pays upfront or stays. Their choice. Officials are closely checking the paperwork anyway so there isn't much extra work involved.

Jul 31st, 2006, 02:43 PM
My logic was that it would be impossible to determine a Canadian from a "Canadian of Convenience" in the midst of a war zone. Just get them out and determine who owes us back the money later. Seems to me to be the humane thing to do.

Arguing over who is eligible and who is not while rockets are raining down is absurd.

Absolutely agree. Think of it as an ambulance ride. The health care is paid for, but you'll get a bill for the ride to the hospital.

MasterBlaster
Jul 31st, 2006, 02:49 PM

SINC
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:17 PM
SINC, I think someone waving their EXPIRED Canadian passport would be an easy determination of "Canadian of Convenience" don't you?

How about looking at the entry stamp in the passport? Anyone dated less than six months gets a "get out of jail" card free. Everyone else signs a "loan" form or pays upfront or stays. Their choice. Officials are closely checking the paperwork anyway so there isn't much extra work involved.
I thought the forces were involved with the latest evacuations. If that is true, they would not be checking stamps and dates, likely just the fact you had a passport. Regardless, fees could be collected here on arrival, could they not?

DS
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:42 PM

Couldn't agree more.

You're telling me that there are 50,000 Canadians on vacation over there, and of course still are working here and are paying taxes in our country?

MACSPECTRUM
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:45 PM
I am curious as to what the American policy is for their citizens stuck over there?

I think the Americans will go to great lengths to protect their people and get them home for free. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

Also what abiut British, Japanese, Australian and other countries?

looks like the U.S. policy is fluid

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13914384/

Late Tuesday NBC's Dawn Fratangelo confirmed that American evacuees would not have to sign promissory notes pledging repayment for passage.

An official told NBC that Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has directed her staff to sign waivers so promissory notes will not be needed.

To get on board, Americans would have had to sign a note pledging to reimburse the U.S. government. They would have been charged the price of a single commercial flight from Beirut to Cyprus — usually $150-$200, although officials refused to specify.

If they had no money to fly onward, they also would have been asked to guarantee reimbursement of the price of an airline ticket from Cyprus to the United States.

In Washington, before Rice's action, White House spokesman Tony Snow said the government had to charge evacuees because of a 2003 law. “I dare say that it’s something that is causing heartburn for a number of people, but it’s the law,” he said.

House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi objected, saying it was not Congress’ intent to prevent evacuations by making people sign a commitment to pay. “A nation that can provide more than $300 billion for a war in Iraq can provide the money to get its people out of Lebanon,” Pelosi said.

Roosterboy
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:54 PM
I am offering a new travel service. Cheapest around, best sites, be on tv, lose weight and travel everything from first to cattle class. Here is my plan we all stow away in a ship in Vancouver harbor and travel to North Korea, see the sites get arrested for taking pictures of some road side shop and get free room and board until Foreign Affairs Canada rescues us(let your boss know you may be late). After release its Spring Break in Baghdad, check out the ankles on those babes and a wet burka contest to be had for sure. Next stop Christmas in Bethleham. Get the picture folks. . . . . . if you travel to unstable SH&^%(%^(^ you get what you ask for. Stop whining about Foreign Affairs Canada and the Canadian Forces have a responsibility to come rescue you. I understand that many of these people were visiting but alot of them live over there fulltime (forget the payment for passage home) I want to see their tax returns since they have been out of the country. That Canadian passport is not a cloak of invulnerability. Some countries it is a magnet for trouble. The ungrateful individuals standing on the docks in Beirut bitching should have been put at the back of the line or denied access, I think they might be security risks. It is time for people to earn their citizenship, PUBLIC SERVICE a debt paid to Canada before you get a passport. Dig ditches, provide medical services in remote Canadian locations, military service etc. No one rides for free!