: Mel Gibson apologizes for drunken rant at police officer who pulled him over...

HowEver
Jul 30th, 2006, 02:37 AM

HowEver
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:37 AM
"Will anti-Semitic slurs bury Gibson?
Tirade alleged after star's drunk driving arrest
`I don't see how he can restore himself,' one publicist says"

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1154296209572&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tmz.com/media/2006/07/gibson_exclusive_wi_2.jpg

The arresting officer's report (http://cdn.digitalcity.com/tmz_documents/gibson_wm_docs_072806.pdf)

MACSPECTRUM
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:49 AM
with millions in the bank i'm sure gibson will somehow manage

let's not forget that "passion" cost him $30 million of his own money and grossed over $370 million

SINC
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:01 AM
Sure be nice if that officers report pdf was readable. Anyone translated it yet?

MannyP Design
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:11 AM
I'm sure he'll make do... he has his own island of course. ;)

zoziw
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:11 PM
This will be an issue when Apocalypto comes out this year but clever publicists will spin it into a marketing bonanza. By the time his next movie comes out (he has projects into 2008) this will all be a distant memory.

Gibson is experienced Hollywood royalty and knows who to call and what to do to get out of this.

Lindsay Lohan and her "mommy" are the ones who don't know what they are doing and will soon see Lindsay's start dwindling.

SINC
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:13 PM
:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

MACSPECTRUM
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:19 PM
This will be an issue when Apocalypto comes out this year but clever publicists will spin it into a marketing bonanza. By the time his next movie comes out (he has projects into 2008) this will all be a distant memory.

Gibson is experienced Hollywood royalty and knows who to call and what to do to get out of this.

Lindsay Lohan and her "mommy" are the ones who don't know what they are doing and will soon see Lindsay's start dwindling.

if hollywood and the viewing public still support and go see movies made by child sex offender (roman polanski) and he's still heralded as "genius" i don't see why gibson's art cannot be separated from gibson

overkill
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:44 PM
Oh! I thought that this was just a teaser scene from Lethal Weapon 5. You know where Gibson goes all nuts and stuff around other cops and then jumps off a building while hand cuffed to someone :rolleyes:

Beej
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:50 PM
http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm

If the reports of what he said are true and the test was done on-site (not hours later at the station) then he did not have nearly enough to rant from a primal mind that none of us would like public from ourselves. Those are big ifs that I'd like cleared up, but I am concerned.

The Doug
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:14 PM
I'm not concerned. Although I've enjoyed some of his movies, I don't care about him at all (likewise for most other stars).

If this is true, he's been exposed as a bigoted arse and boo-hoo if it has an effect on his career. Boo-hoo.

HowEver
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:15 PM
:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Good one!

And if this subject bores y'all, I've got some misogyny, some anti-Western sentiment, some Newfie jokes, and a little general racism that should excite you.

Sheesh.

JPL
Aug 1st, 2006, 08:36 AM
Good one!

And if this subject bores y'all, I've got some misogyny, some anti-Western sentiment, some Newfie jokes, and a little general racism that should excite you.

Sheesh.
:clap: :lmao: :D :o :) ;)

guytoronto
Aug 1st, 2006, 10:49 AM
Was his behavior really so bad that his career deserves to be "doomed"?

Lest we forget:
Robert Downey Jr.
Tom Sizemore
Nick Nolte
Paul Reubens
Winona Ryder

MACSPECTRUM
Aug 1st, 2006, 11:00 AM
add convicted child sex offender Roman Polanski

modsuperstar
Aug 1st, 2006, 11:02 AM
Remember Tom Cruise? He went crazy and the world still loves him. Mel seemingly stepped back from the glare of the celebrity spotlight awhile ago, so I doubt this will affect his future career. And in Hollywood all it takes is one great performance or blockbuster movie and you'll be in everyone's good graces again.

ArtistSeries
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:28 PM
Mel seemingly stepped back from the glare of the celebrity spotlight awhile ago, so I doubt this will affect his future career.
Disney just pulled out of a production with him - ironically enough it was about the holocaust...

HowEver
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:38 PM
Does Disney own a cereal company? They could have branded "Mel Gibson's New Sugar Tits."

Despite the bad press, Disney should have persevered, and made Gibson work out his contract on this one. It would have made them look good, even if it benefitted Gibson, who was still trying to atone for the mistakes in "The Passion of the Christ."

July 29: Late last year, Mr. Gibson began developing a four-hour miniseries on the Holocaust for ABC, in what was widely seen as an effort to patch up his relations with parts of the Jewish community. A spokesman for the Walt Disney Company, which owns ABC, had no immediate comment on the projectís status. Disneyís studio division is also expected to release Mr. Gibsonís film, ďApocalypto.Ē

Today:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2294109,00.html

ABC pulls Mel Gibson's Holocaust mini-series
By Jenny Booth and agencies
So LA: Hollywood, yaks and Gibson

The ABC television network has cancelled a mini-series about the Holocaust it was developing with Mel Gibson, after the actor launched into an anti-Semitic tirade during his arrest for drink-driving.

The series was to have been based on a memoir about a Dutch Jew during the Second World War and made by Gibson's Icon Productions company, the Wall Street Journal reported today, quoting an unnamed ABC spokesman.

A spokesperson for ABC, which is owned by Walt Disney, confirmed that the project was being pulled, telling the paper that it had been two years and the network still had not seen a script. The spokesman declined to say whether the decision was motivated by Gibson's rant.

Gibson was arrested on suspicion of drink driving on the Pacific Coast highway in the early hours Friday, allegedly doing 87mph with a part-drunk bottle of tequila in a brown paper bag on the back seat of his car.

According to the arresting officer's original report he tried to escape when invited to sit in the back of the patrol car, and was belligerent and maudlin by turns, banging his head against a seat and bemoaning that his life was "f*****d". He also called a female officer "sugar tits".

"Mr Gibson almost continually threatened me, saying he 'owned Malibu' and will 'get even' with me," wrote Deputy James Mee, of the LA County Sheriff's Department.

"He blurted out a barrage of anti-Semitic remarks about 'f***ing Jews'. He called out, 'the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world'. He then asked: 'Are you a Jew?'

"His conduct concerned and frightened me to a point, I called ahead to the station requesting a sergeant meet the arrival of my patrol car."

On Saturday Gibson issued a long apology, denouncing the things he said as untrue and despicable, and revealing that he had suffered from alcoholism all his adult life. He has since checked into a rehabilitation clinic.

The actor-director, whose film The Passion of Christ was criticised for blaming the Jews for killing Jesus, holds strong conservative Catholic religious and political views.

Yesterday Deputy Mee, who is 17, and Jewish, told the AP news agency that he had considered it a routine arrest and did not take any comments made by Gibson seriously.

"I donít take pride in hurting Mr Gibson," said Deputy Mee. "What I had hoped out of this is that he would think twice before he gets behind the wheel of a car and was drinking. I donít want to ruin his career. I donít want to defame him in any way or hurt him."

He would not comment specifically on what Gibson said. "That stuff is booze talking," the deputy said in an interview outside his home.

"Thereís two things that booze does. It amplifies your basic personality. If you are a laid-back kind of person, just an easy going kind of person, booze is going to amplify that and youíll be just sitting around going how itís a wonderful day. But, if you are high-strung person, itís going to amplify that and all the bad things are going to come out."

The actor's early apology appears so far to have limited the damage to his Hollywood career, despite the ABC move.

Disneyís movie studio arm still plans to release Gibsonís self-financed Mayan-language film Apocalypto in December, Hollywoodís trade papers reported, and Slate.com, a movie industry website, quoted Oren Aviv, the Walt Disney Studios president, as saying that he accepted Gibsonís apology.

"The incident was a horrible, horrible blow to his public image," said Peter Montoya, a public image consultant. He remained optimistic, however, that Gibson can prevail.

"I donít foresee that spinning out of control, like Tom Cruise, or Nick Nolte. I think itís going to fade away. The basic rules when youíre a public figure and you make a mistake: you apologise, you apologise early. I think he did that, he apologised, himself. He did the right thing so far and I think heís going to do more in the coming months."

Beej
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:59 PM
Yesterday Deputy Mee, who is 17, and Jewish, told the AP news agency that he had considered it a routine arrest and did not take any comments made by Gibson seriously.

Is that a typo?

used to be jwoodget
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:08 PM
He's a 17 year deputy (i.e. been on the police force for 17 years). As for Gibson, it seems "like father, like son". Just that sons mouth is usually filtered for consumption by the public.....

MissGulch
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:06 PM
"Mel Gibson's New Sugar Tits."
Mel will be stuck with the "Sugar Tits" crack forever. He'll never live it down, but then again, I don't think his career will be harmed. Hollywood will align with anyone if they're good box office. XX)

Kosh
Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:22 AM
Actually this reminds me of the South Park episode where they poked fun at Mel Gibson for the Passion movie. It seems he really has gone crazy.

RevMatt
Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:35 AM
Mel's an anti-semite? Colour me shocked.

Not.

Macfury
Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:45 AM
I find it quite incredible that this sort of stuff can make such big news--a man speaking while in a drunken stupor. A few years ago Marlon Brando, in a televised interview on Larry King, blamed "the Jews" for the malaise in Hollywood and it ony made a slight media ripple.

MACSPECTRUM
Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
mel's getting "payback" for "passion"

HowEver
Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:51 PM

MacGuiver
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:08 PM
mel's getting "payback" for "passion"

Yeah that movie really stirred up a firestorm of anti-semetism. The millions of people that emerged from theaters were beating Jews in the streets and burning synagogues to the ground as a direct result. ;)

Maybe the movie is responsible for the huge amount of support we see in Canada for the anti-semetic terrorist organization Hezbollah?

Cheers
MacGuiver

guytoronto
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:14 PM
Why is it so BAD to be openly hostile towards Jews?

The media slams Scientology every day.

Movies like The Da Vinci Code portray Christianity as something less than desirable.

Cartoons printed in newspapers portay Islam as a religion of terror.

But say one thing about Jews, and suddenly, BAM, you are the most evil person on the planet, and deserve to boil in the pits of hell.

MacGuiver
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:32 PM
Why is it so BAD to be openly hostile towards Jews?

The media slams Scientology every day.

Movies like The Da Vinci Code portray Christianity as something less than desirable.

Cartoons printed in newspapers portay Islam as a religion of terror.

But say one thing about Jews, and suddenly, BAM, you are the most evil person on the planet, and deserve to boil in the pits of hell.

Good point!

Cheers
MacGuiver

HowEver
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:33 PM

used to be jwoodget
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:46 PM
Jeez guytoronto (and MacGuiver) you never fail to not disappoint me. Racism is racism is racism.

guytoronto
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:47 PM
So why aren't there 4 page threads attacking the media for making fun of Tom Cruise and his beliefs?

guytoronto
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:50 PM
As for Scientology, have you read any L. Ron Hubbard?

Have you read the Talmud? [edit:fixed]

Have you read the Bible?

Have you read the Koran?

It's really quite easy to make fun of Scientology, isn't it? It's that newish religion that nobody takes seriously.

But old religions, we need to take them seriously.

When was the last time you read about Scientology linked to war or violence?

Anybody have a record of a Scientologist molesting alter boys?

HowEver
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:56 PM

guytoronto
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:04 PM
I think you mean the Talmud.

D'oh. You are correct [FIXED]. Time to put on my slippers and go get another cup of coffee.

guytoronto
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:08 PM
Are you a Scientologist? No.

Were you the guy on Yonge Street asking me to take a "quiz" and trying to charge me $3,000 for "personality lessons?"
No. I am also not related to the guy who wants a tithe for the church.

I'm not making fun of Scientology, I really want to know if you were that Toronto guy. No. I'm the crazier guy down the street who shakes and begs for coins.

MacGuiver
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:11 PM
Jeez guytoronto (and MacGuiver) you never fail to not disappoint me. Racism is racism is racism.

Jwoodget

I don't condone what Mel said or support it. What he said while loaded was clearly racist and he rightly apologized for his self described despicable behavior.
However I will take issue with Specs assumption that Passion of The Christ was meant to be harmful to Jews. Millions of people saw it and there were no beating in the streets or synagogue burnings that followed despite what alarmists were tell us the movie would spark.
I also see the hypocrisy of members of this board that are flaming Mel for being anti-semetic yet in other threads right here we have many vocal supporters of an anti-semetic terrorist organization who's sole purpose is the destruction of Israel. The leaders of Hezbollah have said things of Jews that make Mel Gibson sound like Gandhi :rolleyes:

I agree with GuyTO that a double standard exists here. Movies like DaVinci Code clearly smeared Catholicism yet there were no howls of protest to be heard here. Nothing but accolades. Other faiths are fair game but we scream foul at any racism directed at Jews.

Cheers
MacGuiver

MACSPECTRUM
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:16 PM
Jwoodget

I don't condone what Mel said or support it. What he said while loaded was clearly racist and he rightly apologized for his self described despicable behavior.
However I will take issue with Specs assumption that Passion of The Christ was meant to be harmful to Jews. Millions of people saw it and there were no beating in the streets or synagogue burnings that followed although alarmists were tell us the movie would cause it.
I also see the hypocrisy of members of this board that are flaming Mel for being anti-semetic yet in other threads right here we have many vocal supporters of an anti-semetic terrorist organization who's sole purpose is the destruction of Israel. The leaders of Hezbollah have said things of Jews that make Mel Gibson sound like Gandhi :rolleyes:

I agree with GuyTO that a double standard exists here. Movies like DaVinci Code clearly smeared Catholicism yet there were no howls of protest to be heard here. Nothing but accolades. Other faiths are fair game but we scream foul at any racism directed at Jews.

Cheers
MacGuiver

that wasn't "Spec's" assertion
gibson didn't make any friends at the ADL with "Passion"

guytoronto
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:17 PM
Just for the record, I'm not racist. I hate everybody.

HowEver
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:19 PM

Macfury
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:21 PM
I looked on the grocery store shelves and found no "Sugartits" cereal. Apparently public pressure has already forced Mel's cereal off the shelves,

MannyP Design
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:22 PM
It's amusing to see who obviously hasn't read (or has seen) the Da Vinci Code.

guytoronto
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:39 PM
He did protest too much over the errors in "The Passion of the Christ."

Umm...errors? We are talking 2000 year old events, poorly documented, loosely translated, and interpreted multiple ways.

Play Broken Telephone with some friends one day, then try to figure out how we can possible have the "facts" about the crucifixion of Chirst.

ArtistSeries
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:02 PM
Just for the record, I'm not racist. I hate everybody.
But do you hate them equally?

guytoronto
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:18 PM
But do you hate them equally?

Generally. I'm willing to make the occasional exception for those who deserve worse.

RevMatt
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:07 AM
For perspective, beer.com's take:

Bin Laden Offers Mel Gibson Anger Management Lessons

In an extraordinary appearance on the Arabic-language Al-Jazeera network today, terror mastermind Osama bin Laden reached out to Mel Gibson and offered the Hollywood actor lessons in anger management.

Bin Laden said that while he did not know Gibson personally, he decided to offer his help after hearing about Gibson's anti-Semitic rant to an LAPD officer, which the Al Qaeda kingpin called "a cry for help."

"Listen, I'm all for blaming things on the Jews," said bin Laden, "but this guy went too far."

Gerbill
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:39 PM
From MetaFilter:
Moxie and Steve H are getting drunk and blogging it in real time. It's a controlled (ha!) experiment to see if it makes them anti-semitic, the way Mel Gibson says it does.
http://moxie.nu/moveabletype/archives/003504.php

Kosh
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:21 PM
When was the last time you read about Scientology linked to war or violence?

Anybody have a record of a Scientologist molesting alter boys?

I suggest you read:

http://www.scientology-lies.com/abortions.html
http://www.lisamcpherson.org/
http://www.sptimes.com/TampaBay/111498/Scientology_charged_i.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_and_hypnosis

...and the list goes on. A truly scary cult if I ever heard one.

HowEver
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:02 PM

MACSPECTRUM
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:14 PM
"The Passion of the Christ" was based on passion plays performed in the middle ages, and not so much on Biblical retellings, so these aren't 2000 year old errors.

The passion plays are notorious for their treatment of certain issues. Errors? I guess it depends how you look at it, but they were very specific interpretations of Christian stories.

the female lead (Mary) was palyed by an actress who is Jewish and the daughter of a Holocaust survivor;

Morgenstern stressed that not a single scene in "The Passion of Christ" struck her as anti-Semitic.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/11/3/164105.shtml

HowEver
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:18 PM

MACSPECTRUM
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:27 PM
That's an interesting way to put it. It's important to look at the larger picture, and not at individual "scenes." Of course it's unsuprising that the lead actress in the film found this to be a reasonable movie. In many ways, she's right. It's also hard to believe that Mel Gibson had overt malice toward Jewish people. But scenes are carefully selected and constructed, as are their sources, and they are carefully crafted to make a film and mean something more than the sum or their parts. All together. Face it, no director sets out to make films that reek, but they often do, despite the best intentions of the director.

Also, take into account that one person's racism is not another's or that people may distinguish between racist acts by the same person. And that having your family experience racism doesn't necessarily make you an expert either. People make errors in judgement. Morganstern (if this source is correct) may change her mind the next day, or the next year. Of course, if she wants to work for Mel again, she probably won't. I hear there is a sequel in the works...

Oh, and let's hope Newsmax isn't the only place you get your news.

http://www.jewishjournal.com/home/searchview.php?id=11135

http://www.jewishaz.com/jewishnews/040305/actress.shtml

HowEver
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:29 PM

MACSPECTRUM
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:32 PM
I meant generally.

obviously you don't click on the many links i post

HowEver
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:42 PM

MACSPECTRUM
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Fine, I'll spell it out: here's hoping that you generally, on many issues, peruse different kinds of news sources.

being a news junkie guilty as charged
i do admit to watching FAUX news for the entertainment value
bill o'reilly is a favourite idiot

HowEver
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:50 PM

RevMatt
Aug 12th, 2006, 10:29 AM
http://ihatejuice.com/index.html

I said JUICE.
I hate JUICE.