: Wireless network Mac > PC slow

shane3547
Jul 28th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Trying to get the wireless connection between my iMac and my Windows 2000 computer to reach 54Mbps.

Currently it will only connect at 11Mbps thus taking upwards of 3 hours to transfer a 5GB file. No subdirectories, just a single 5GB file.

My Windows computer has a D-Link DWL-G510 54Mbps PCI card installed, so I know it's possible.

I don't have a router, direct connect ONLY. I do not want to use a router as I shouldn't have to.

Please help

planders
Jul 28th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Still at it, eh?

I'm not a fan of D-Link networking stuff in general, but you certainly should be able to get a 54 Mbps link.

Your first step, if you haven't already done so, should be do go to www.dlink.com and get their latest driver for your card. Do this even if the driver was built in, or provided on a CD. They issue frequent updates.

Often, even when a card is apparently supported directly by Windows, the default driver won't support the card's full feature set.

EDIT: I see from your other thread that you've probably already done this. So the next step might be to try a different wireless adapter. I've generally had much better results and performance with Linksys than with D-Link, and 3Com is even better (but more expensive).

shane3547
Jul 28th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Yeppers, you guessed it. I downloaded the newest driver right from the manufacturers web site. Even have the latest F/W too.

I checked the spacifics and this card does support 54Mbps in both XP and 2000, even does it in 98SE.

So there should be no reason for this slow connection/transfers.

I thought about purchasing a Linksys, but why? I shouldn't have to change my card when this one is supposed to do the trick. If it was an issue of hardware conflicts then it would work at all. No, I suspect there is something I'm not doing with my iMac. Something that allows me to change the speed of the network I have created.

planders
Jul 28th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I haven't found a simple setting in OS X to limit the speed of the AirPort adapter, though perhaps there's something hidden somewhere. There will be a setting in Device Manager on Windows for the D-Link, though.

The link speed is normally a product of the signal quality. You might want to try using a different channel for the network when creating it. For instance, in my building I get much more reliable connections on channel 6 than on channel 11, which is often the default.

As for D-Link vs. Linksys, both are value brands but I've rarely had more problems with any other brand than I've had with D-Link. It's definitely worth trying a different adapter. In terms of quality, Apple's AirPort would probably be on par with a 3Com or Intel adapter on the PC.

shane3547
Jul 28th, 2006, 06:37 PM
I will try the channel thing tonight. As for the speed settings in XP and 2000, I have it set to accept both 11 & 54Mbps. I do not have the option to accept only 54Mbps.

I'll try the channel thing and get back to you.

Jestered
Jul 28th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Never mind....

shane3547
Jul 28th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the info, yes it was stated in the other posting. The computers were less than 6 feet apart and signal strength was 70 - 80%

Oh, and I tried to change the channel as previously suggested. No improvement.

Terry O'Leary
Jul 30th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Simple question here. What wireless NIC does the iMac have ? Airport (max 11 mbps), Airport Extreme (54 mbps 'cause its a "g")

shane3547
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:07 AM
As my signature states, it's an iMac Intel Core Duo. So it has standard 802.11g 54Mbps Airport Extreme

I even double checked on the Apple website

tizerfish
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:44 PM
Couple quick questions, which computer are you using to connect to the other, example:
Are you connecting to the PC from the mac?
Or to the Mac from the PC

First thing i'd do is change one for the other, see if that sparks something,

Second, has the Dlink ever had a full connection to another network? and has your mac ever had a full connection to another network?

shane3547
Aug 1st, 2006, 07:49 PM
I'm trying to connect both ways, mostly I'm trying to connect to the PC from the Mac so i can send files. Also, I want to share my internet from the Mac ethernet to the PC via my airport.

And none of the Computers have ever had a previous connection via wireless.

tizerfish
Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:02 AM
what program are you using for the PC? (windows or Dlink) I'd switch programs, disable one and use another, see if it helps.

but at this point best recomendation i'd say is a wireless router would take Maybe an Hour to setup (thats even an over shot) that encludes pluging it in ect, this would test both computers wireless speeds and make sure that the 54G speed is working for both, and just be less of a brain hassel, yes i know it should work with out one but you are still dealing with computers XX)

just make sure your not using the sympatico wireless Router they have issues with mac/pc filesharing,

shane3547
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:27 PM
Hrmm, i am using the Sympatico Wireless Router ... it works, but it's file transfer is capping @ 1MBps

I have two modems from bell cause I signed up when they had the wireless networking for free. But the modem part doesn't work ona regular basis, so i had them send me a modem only to use for the internet. I had the wireless one in storage until today. I have been setting it up to act as my wireless go-between for the two computers. It's been working well, PC even says it's connecting at 54MBps. but why is my transfer capping @ 1MBps?

Any thoughts?

MACSPECTRUM
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:08 AM
As my signature states, it's an iMac Intel Core Duo. So it has standard 802.11g 54Mbps Airport Extreme

I even double checked on the Apple website

some of us, like yours truly, turn off viewing of signatures and my kreskin imitation leaves much to be desiredd

MACSPECTRUM
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Hrmm, i am using the Sympatico Wireless Router ... it works, but it's file transfer is capping @ 1MBps

I have two modems from bell cause I signed up when they had the wireless networking for free. But the modem part doesn't work ona regular basis, so i had them send me a modem only to use for the internet. I had the wireless one in storage until today. I have been setting it up to act as my wireless go-between for the two computers. It's been working well, PC even says it's connecting at 54MBps. but why is my transfer capping @ 1MBps?

Any thoughts?
have your contacted bell?
have you tried a 3rd party program like DAVE or AdmitMac (thursby.com) for your mac to see if they improve file x-fer performance

please note that thursby.com offers trial versions of their sfw.

shane3547
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:47 PM
How do I check to make sure I am getting a 54Mbps connection with my Mac?