: Imac 400, changing hard drive, transfer files from old to new question ?

J-F Desfossés
Jul 25th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Hi,

My gf has an iMac400 with a 20gig drive which she uses as a jukebo, websurfiung and as a mail station, which is unfortunately full . I just got a 120 gig drive. Now she wants to transfer her old drive onto the new one (Mail, favourites, music, and occasionnal document)

What is the best way of operating, considering that:

1) I have NO ACCESS to an external hard drive enclosure.
2) I have a dual 500 tower at home I can use

I was thinking of the following:

1) Using my dual 500
2) Format the new drive using my dual 500
3) Put her old 20gig drive in my dual 500 as a slave
4) Copy her favorites, files, music and mail onto her new drive while both are in my dual 500
5) Put the new 120 drive back into her iMac.

Could this work ?
Any other suggestions ?

Thanks

JF

Alex Sanders
Jul 25th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Sounds perfectly fine to me. Just remember to change the 120 Gig drive back to a master setting when you put it in the iMac. Best of luck.:)

J-F Desfossés
Jul 25th, 2006, 10:39 AM
That's what I was thinking. Removing all existing drives on my 500 and using the new 120 as the master, and the old 20 as the slave, then put back the 120 in the imac as the master.

HowEver
Jul 25th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Fink-Nottle
Jul 28th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Hi,

Does the iMac have firewire? (Some of that spec do, some don't.) If it does, put the new drive into the G4 and then connect the iMac to the G4 as a target disk using firewire. (With the iMac off connect it to the G4 using firewire and then hold down 'T' while you boot.) You can then see both drives mounted on the G4 and can move the files of clone with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

Cheers!

mazirion
Jul 28th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Opening up that iMac 400 is an incredibly dangerous procedure. There is enough residual electricity in that computer to kill you a year after you unplug it. Take every precaution, and then take some more. Seriously.

By the way, when you say you have no access to an external enclosure, how is that possible? They can be fairly inexpensive, especially if you are getting the USB or FireWire only kind, as opposed to the combo. canadacomputers.com ncix.com tigerdirect.ca etc.

Well this is true, that touching the wrong thing is bad. But changing the hard drive is a piece of cake. It is easy to access. I swapped the 13 gig for a 120 gig, and back again, once I bought this iBook. It's now my backup drive for this.