: OS X Routine Maintenance

Randy B. Singer
Jul 23rd, 2006, 09:26 PM
Hi folks! It's been a while since I logged on here. I wanted to let you know one of the things that has been keeping me busy.

Over the past few weeks I've drastically updated my Web site:

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

It is a free, non-commercial, reference designed for ordinary Macintosh users (not power users) to tell you how to do effective routine maintenance on your Macintosh running OS X. It not only tells you what to do, it tells you which utilities to use (with an emphasis on easy to use and free utilities) and where to get them.

I hope that you find this site helpful!

MACSPECTRUM
Jul 24th, 2006, 08:35 AM
I was very surprised to see that the author of the above post left OnyX off his list of free maintenance software

I am posting here and not emailing the author since his site asks to not email him with suggestions for maintenance sfw. that he intentionally left off his list

Rob
Jul 24th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Lots of interesting stuff there. Thanks for the link.

jmlachance
Jul 24th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I'm always impressed that anyone would, and does, put in so much time and effort for free by putting in such a site, months, maybe years of accumulated knowledge.
Well done!
Thanks

Randy B. Singer
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:15 AM
I was very surprised to see that the author of the above post left OnyX off his list of free maintenance softwareI love Onyx. But as I carefully pointed out on my Web site, I have tried to recommend software on the site that is both the easiest and safest to use (among other things) for ordinary users. With regard to multi-function utilities, that's YASU. (Note that I haven't endeavored to recommend *all* software that I like or approve of on my site, just the one piece of software that I find most appropriate for ordinary users to use.) I have never received a report that anyone has gotten in trouble using YASU.

On the other hand, as more and more features have been added to Onyx, I've heard from a number of folks who got in over their heads using some of these advanced features.

So, if you are comfortable using Onyx, and you know what all the features do, and you know when to use them (and not to use them), that's great! But since there is a safer, less confusing alternative, that's the one that I recommended on my Web site.

Randy B. Singer
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:21 AM
I'm always impressed that anyone would, and does, put in so much time and effort for free by putting in such a site, months, maybe years of accumulated knowledge.
Well done!
ThanksThank *you* for the very kind words! It's true...I put a ton of time into the site. As a rule, that's what Mac users have always done for each other. I hope that's not changing as the Mac has become more and more popular lately and new users aren't enthusiasts as older users are.

I'm working on a new Web page that will deal with the issue of viruses, as there is so much misinformation going around on that topic. Also, new switchers just can't believe that there are no viruses specifically for OS X, or that most Mac users make do without any anti-virus software whatsoever.

MACSPECTRUM
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:03 AM
I love Onyx. But as I carefully pointed out on my Web site, I have tried to recommend software on the site that is both the easiest and safest to use (among other things) for ordinary users. With regard to multi-function utilities, that's YASU. (Note that I haven't endeavored to recommend *all* software that I like or approve of on my site, just the one piece of software that I find most appropriate for ordinary users to use.) I have never received a report that anyone has gotten in trouble using YASU.

On the other hand, as more and more features have been added to Onyx, I've heard from a number of folks who got in over their heads using some of these advanced features.

So, if you are comfortable using Onyx, and you know what all the features do, and you know when to use them (and not to use them), that's great! But since there is a safer, less confusing alternative, that's the one that I recommended on my Web site.

i guess that's why baskin robbins has 31 flavours

monster and machine
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:27 AM
thanks very much. a very helpful link.

BerlinerCa
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks Randy. This site looks really useful. I have already sent it off to a few friends I know will be interested and appreciative.

When I first got my mac I was recommended to use applejack and I have done so. I wonder if you have any feedback on applejack. It does seem to do everything in a kind of 1 stop shopping sort of way. But as I go through your site I start to wonder if it is such a great way to do maintenance.

I would be interested to get your perspective.

SoyMac
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks, Randy! :)

And thanks also for being astute enough to leave off the utilities (like ONYX) that can, indeed, be a bit tricky for non-computer engineers. I tried ONYX in the past, and was faced with forced selections that I didn't understand and didn't seem to make sense.

Your site is perfect for exactly what you intend and state; "I have tried to recommend software on the site that is both the easiest and safest to use (among other things) for ordinary users."

Great stuff. I applaud both your intentions and your efforts. :clap:

Randy B. Singer
Aug 6th, 2006, 01:16 AM
When I first got my mac I was recommended to use applejack and I have done so. I wonder if you have any feedback on applejack. It does seem to do everything in a kind of 1 stop shopping sort of way. But as I go through your site I start to wonder if it is such a great way to do maintenance.

I would be interested to get your perspective.AppleJack is one of the superheros of the Mac utility world. It's a great utility, it works without having to find your OS X Install disk in cases where you can't startup normally, and it is free.

Unfortunately AppleJack runs only in Single User Mode. In other words, you have to type in commands at a command line to run it. In my experience ordinary users don't even want to hear that there *is* a command line anywhere in OS X, let alone actually use one. If you even *tell* some folks
that a command line exists in OS X, that's enough to have them purchase a Windows PC instead of a Macintosh!

This is not to say that I don't like AppleJack, or that you shouldn't use it. I do like it. And if you like AppleJack, you should use it. It's just that it doesn't meet the criteria for the sort of product that I recommend on my site. Instead I recommend products on my site that the majority of Mac users are more comfortable using.

Randy B. Singer
Aug 6th, 2006, 01:21 AM
I've updated my Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance site today.

Apparently some folks have found that under OS X 10.4.3 or later the OS runs the built-in maintenance scripts automatically as needed (including when one has been scheduled and missed), and others have found that they don't run as needed, while a few have even found that they don't run at all! So I'm recommending that folks install Anacron in any case to make sure that the maintenance scripts run.

Also, Dan Frakes just wrote a great article for Macworld about repairing permissions, a subject that has been the basis for much debate. I cite it on my site.

SoyMac
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:33 AM
... In my experience ordinary users don't even want to hear that there *is* a command line anywhere in OS X, let alone actually use one...
Yup. 'Zactly.
:clap:
Signed,
- Ordinary User.

Deep Blue
Aug 6th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the new post, Randy. I've been offline for a few days and just spotted it. I'll check out all the info you've posted later when I've got more time. Also, on the basis of your email, I've bought and am now using super duper. I'm not a computer techie-kind of person and don't want all the extra baggage other back up programmes bring with them. Thanks for the one-on-one reply. Baed on it, I was going to post elements of your site here at Ehmac but you beat me to it. (In fact the reason you beat me is because when your email to me bounced I updated my Ehmac profile and that shut me out of Ehmac for a few days until I'd verified the changes.